Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so i just bought the full Zaino kit including their new swirl remover and I'm about to order the Porter-Cable 7336. From what I've read and seen in this forum, these are the tow best products. I read not to use the polishing pad that comes with the 7336, anyone else hear of this? But my main question is what application pads to order for the buffer? I am doing the full Zaino treatment from scratch. Thanks in advance, you guys have been great with recommendations. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
You have a PM

·
Registered
28 Posts
With Zaino, using a buffer is NOT recommended. Even Zaino recommends hand application. I have the PC buffer also. I have used the foam pads with regular wax before I started using Zaino a few years ago.

I buy the Meguire's Gold foam pads at Walmart. A big key to Zaino is to use LIGHT coats. Unlike other waxes, Zaino works better with several thin coats. If you use heavy coats you just waste alot of it and it can be hard to remove, especially with the ZFX.

I'm sure others have posted info, but I'll remind you that the initial preperation is the most important step of the entire process. Make sure you wash with dish soap to remove any exisitng wax. Then clay bar to remove anything on the paint surface. If you have waterspots, you can skip the claybar and buff the car. Then wash again. A friend of mine that has an 02 C5 'vert just put a few coats of Z2 on and skipped the prep step and it shows. The paint looks OK, but when you feel it, it feels bumpy just like it did before.

After prepping the paint, I always start with a few coats of Z5. After that, I start layering the Z2 on. My 91 has about 5+ coats of Z5 and atleast that of Z2. The only time I use ZFX is during the summer here in FL when the humidity is really high. The rest of the time, I just let it sit for 30-45 minutes in between coats to let it set up. I usually start with Zaino, then clean the interior, etc in between coats.

Make sure to use quality, CLEAN towels. I use microfiber only. I find them to work better than regular towels.

Hope this helps.....

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
slapshot said:
With Zaino, using a buffer is NOT recommended. Even Zaino recommends hand application. I have the PC buffer also. I have used the foam pads with regular wax before I started using Zaino a few years ago.

I buy the Meguire's Gold foam pads at Walmart. A big key to Zaino is to use LIGHT coats. Unlike other waxes, Zaino works better with several thin coats. If you use heavy coats you just waste alot of it and it can be hard to remove, especially with the ZFX.

I'm sure others have posted info, but I'll remind you that the initial preperation is the most important step of the entire process. Make sure you wash with dish soap to remove any exisitng wax. Then clay bar to remove anything on the paint surface. If you have waterspots, you can skip the claybar and buff the car. Then wash again. A friend of mine that has an 02 C5 'vert just put a few coats of Z2 on and skipped the prep step and it shows. The paint looks OK, but when you feel it, it feels bumpy just like it did before.

After prepping the paint, I always start with a few coats of Z5. After that, I start layering the Z2 on. My 91 has about 5+ coats of Z5 and atleast that of Z2. The only time I use ZFX is during the summer here in FL when the humidity is really high. The rest of the time, I just let it sit for 30-45 minutes in between coats to let it set up. I usually start with Zaino, then clean the interior, etc in between coats.

Make sure to use quality, CLEAN towels. I use microfiber only. I find them to work better than regular towels.

Hope this helps.....
Nope! You don't use a buffer to APPLY Zaino, you use it to PREP for Zaino. AND, Sal now has Z-PC, MADE FOR a buffer.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I use a white polishing pad or black finishing pad with the Fusion. If you have black be careful with the yellow or orange cutting pads as they cause some micro marring and are not needed unless you have some pretty severe scratches to fix. Fusion has become one of my favorite polishes. :usa:

·
Registered
28 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention.....Zaino sells the cotton application pads. I tried it and didn't care for them. They work well, but soak up alot of the Zaino also. Usually, you get one free with your order. I'd say try it and see what you think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts