Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my stock 02'. I have gone down the track before, but not with a manual shift car. I would say I am an average driver with the Z. Not a quick shifter, but can hit all gears. Will I be able to be in the 12's? It will be a humid night with temps around 60-65.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Even with mistakes the Z06 would still be in the 12s, I say if you're not experience with it yet, if you take it easy out of the whole and when shiffting, you would run better then trying to kncock the gears in, Just floor it after its in 3rd and hit it quick to your fourth and you'll be at 116 mph across traps and easy into the 12s :thumb:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
As long as you hit the gears you should be fine :yeadog: You coming to Moroso to run with us on the 16th? :D
Bob

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would love too, but I will be down in the Keys for a batchelor party. :cheers:

Couto, I like what you said. For some reason I can't get the pedal to the floor in first or second. Either the RPM's jump up too fast or I break loose. I will remember to get it to the floor in third.

Also, HOW DO YOU DO A BURN OUT WITH A MANUAL SHIFT CAR?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
FL Bowtie said:
With my stock 02'. I have gone down the track before, but not with a manual shift car. I would say I am an average driver with the Z. Not a quick shifter, but can hit all gears. Will I be able to be in the 12's? It will be a humid night with temps around 60-65.
I'd say low 13's. If you can your 60' times near 2.0 maybe high 12's Moroso is poor track IMO. Good Luck and let us know how you make out. I seen a lot of Z06's run mid 13's and higher. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
FL Bowtie said:
I would love too, but I will be down in the Keys for a batchelor party. :cheers:

Couto, I like what you said. For some reason I can't get the pedal to the floor in first or second. Either the RPM's jump up too fast or I break loose. I will remember to get it to the floor in third.

Also, HOW DO YOU DO A BURN OUT WITH A MANUAL SHIFT CAR?

I cant really explain out to do a burnout that well because I've been doing them since I was 12 years old, But I have to say the Z06 is not any easy one, With all that power and torque you should get it easy, But not really, the weight Distrubution is so well that it makes the rear wheels want to hook, Kinda wants to hook when you dont want them to, and spin when you want them to hook , THat Life, :blush:

But To be honest if you pass through the water box ,which is hard to go around in some tracks , you'll have no problem, Just put it in 1st and just take off like you would normally do it but just much quicker, then floor it all the way at the same time, when you feel you car spinning and only then , leave your foot on the gas full throddle and hit the brake with your left foot, at this point all you weight should be shifter to the front , so you can let go of some throddle and hold about 5k, when the car starts to die down, let out the burnout because your tires are ready to go :cheers:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great, thanks! I am going tonight to a track in Orlando. It is not the best, but it is the only one within an hour from here. I will post my times tomorrow. I am hoping for 12's. :yeadog:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
FL Bowtie said:
Great, thanks! I am going tonight to a track in Orlando. It is not the best, but it is the only one within an hour from here. I will post my times tomorrow. I am hoping for 12's. :yeadog:

Good luck, and Im assuming you're running your stock tires, so Its going to be difficult to hook them, Try getting the fronts at 40psi and the rear tires at 28psi, maybe even down a little more, But I say get comfortable shifting it first down the 1/4, then next time or the time after play with the tire pressures, If your goal is 12s just take it as is and you'll be fine :yeadog: :yeadog:

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
For a burnout, just bring the rpm's up to about 5500, then dump the clutch & step on the brake. Don't smash down the brake, just hold it down hard enough so the car stays still. Watch your tach & modulate the throttle to keep the rpm's above 5300 or so or you'le lose the burnout. For a stronger,faster spinning burnout, use 2nd gear but I don't think that's necessary on street tires.
Front psi to 45, rears to 25-27. Try launching at 2200 & go up or down from there, depending on your evaluation of your 60' times & launches. Most average high 1.9x-2.1 60' times, but lower is achievable. You'll need to ride or "slip" the clutch to get any semblence of traction. Then roll into the throttle, don't "floor" it. Shift quickly & as close to redline as you can on each shift. If you get the dreaded wheel hop on shifts you'll need to shift easier as hops only slow you down...If you break into the 12's consider your 1st trip to the track a success..Good luck! PS-don't forget to return your psi to normal before you leave..
Ron

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh well, didn't make the 12's, but I know I can do better. I don't even want to talk about the first run. Lets just say it was practice. Second run I forgot to put it in Comp. mode and the trac. control kicked in on my third gear shift. Went 109 for a 13.38 and a 2.28 60ft.

Third run was great except my 60ft was 2.27 again and I somehow missed 4th gear. Oh well, shite happens. Hit the trap at 97 mph and got a 13.48.

It was very humid and the temp. was 75. I was pleased with my third run, just wish I would have hit 4th to see what it would have been. I am thinking 13.1 or so. I also need to work on my 60ft.

Oh well, it was fun and I didn't wreck the car. Some guy did lay down his bike. He was ok, but that sucked.

There were 3 other Z's out and the best I saw was a 13.01.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
FL Bowtie said:
Oh well, didn't make the 12's, but I know I can do better. I don't even want to talk about the first run. Lets just say it was practice. Second run I forgot to put it in Comp. mode and the trac. control kicked in on my third gear shift. Went 109 for a 13.38 and a 2.28 60ft.

Third run was great except my 60ft was 2.27 again and I somehow missed 4th gear. Oh well, shite happens. Hit the trap at 97 mph and got a 13.48.

It was very humid and the temp. was 75. I was pleased with my third run, just wish I would have hit 4th to see what it would have been. I am thinking 13.1 or so. I also need to work on my 60ft.

Oh well, it was fun and I didn't wreck the car. Some guy did lay down his bike. He was ok, but that sucked.

There were 3 other Z's out and the best I saw was a 13.01.

Thats a great attitude :thumb:

Thats what always say "as long as my car makes it home but especially nobody got hurt (physically that is) then Its all good"

Its kinda of interesting, the Z06 is about the most sensitive car on the 1/4 mile, most will run 13s, and I mean mid 13s, but the same car or same driver with practice down the road car run high 11s bone stock, and Miraclously a few hand full have ran Mid 11s, Thats ensane, I dont know another car that has a 2 second gap in times, It can happen but thats with missed shifts! with my mustang The first time a ran it was a 14.6, then work my way down over a couple of months about a tenth at a time, and came down to a 13.8, thats not even a second from the worst driving to the I believe one of the best Bone Stock times! Anyone can run a mustang down the first time in mid 14s, But a Z06 is a diffrent story!

Next time you'll get it :cheers:

·
Registered
291 Posts
The best I have ever run in Orlando was a 13.0 with a 2.0 60' at 109 mph. I have never seen a z06 any faster. I am beginning to believe all these 12's / high elevens are absolutely impossible in orlando on street tires. I have NEVER seen it. I go quite regularly. You are not hitting 12's any time soon. I will be there 2 wednesdays from now. I drive a black z06. You will see me there running 13's for sure. Dr.Bigg

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dr., were you there last night? I saw a black Z run 13.01 twice. What was your best 1/8 time and mph? The run that I missed 4th was 8.739 at 87.92 mph. Then I missed 4th. Would this have gotten me near or in the 12's?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1st and 2nd I was shifting around 6000 to 6100. In 3rd and 4th I was closer to 6500. Was I shifting too soon?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
FL Bowtie said:
1st and 2nd I was shifting around 6000 to 6100. In 3rd and 4th I was closer to 6500. Was I shifting too soon?
I'd say shift 1-2 @ 6200 to minimize wheel spin, but 2-3 & 3-4 as close to redline as possible (6400-6500) without hitting the rev limiter...Also, you can't shift like you're on a leisurely drive. The shifts need to be VERY quick...
Ron

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Dr.Ron said:
I'd say shift 1-2 @ 6200 to minimize wheel spin, but 2-3 & 3-4 as close to redline as possible (6400-6500) without hitting the rev limiter...Also, you can't shift like you're on a leisurely drive. The shifts need to be VERY quick...
Ron

Doc, you're more experience then I am, so I'll ask you this question. You guys are talking about shifting points, but isnt true? correct me If Im wrong? when shifting 1-2 the Rmps are coming up so quick that the Tach doesnt keep with it so If you read 6200 for instance its pretty much almost hitting the rev limiter? I have made about a total of 20 something passes the 2.5+ years I have had the car, and 80% of the times I have hit the rev limiter on one of the gears, Its easier on the 1-2, I really dont look at the tach for those gears, because it happens so quick, I dont think I ever look at the tack on any car when shiffting into 2nd, Now I do hit the rev limiter on other gears, but thats because Im trying to get up as much as I can to red line.

But is that 1-2 shift assumption correct?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
COUTO1981 said:
Doc, you're more experience then I am, so I'll ask you this question. You guys are talking about shifting points, but isnt true? correct me If Im wrong? when shifting 1-2 the Rmps are coming up so quick that the Tach doesnt keep with it so If you read 6200 for instance its pretty much almost hitting the rev limiter? I have made about a total of 20 something passes the 2.5+ years I have had the car, and 80% of the times I have hit the rev limiter on one of the gears, Its easier on the 1-2, I really dont look at the tach for those gears, because it happens so quick, I dont think I ever look at the tack on any car when shiffting into 2nd, Now I do hit the rev limiter on other gears, but thats because Im trying to get up as much as I can to red line.

But is that 1-2 shift assumption correct?
That's likely true. The needle will lag behind the actual flywheel rpms somewhat mostly in the 1-2 and be more true in the 3-4.(less lag if any). It all depends on the car setup as to how much lag.
My car with 4.10 gears and a 6000+ launch needs to be shifted when the needle reads around 6000 rpm and the limiter is set just under 7000. And that comes up rather quickly. :yeadog:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts