Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Halltech's experience is to have the oil temp at the viscosity rated temp of 210 or higher. This puts the oil at its proper viscosity.

We saw an 8 HP drop when our oil was at 180 vs 210.

Jim Hall

·
Registered
837 Posts
Good info. Thanks. What oil viscosity?

I'd be interested in hearing if there is any measurable power difference between pulls made at water temps of 170, 180, 194. Question would be if the lower water temp makes enough additional power that it off-sets the oil temps power reduction.

For what it's worth, virtually all my runs have been made at water temps of 190-194 and oil temps around 210.

Ranger

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I think the horsepower/oil temp relationship has a lot to do with the brand and type of oil you run.

The lower the viscosity of an oil at a given temperature, the more horsepower you will make.

I think some of the multi-viscosity oils have more effective viscosity modifiers than other oils.

Here is an included snip from a review of redline's oils:
One interesting side note is, as we increased the Engine Oil temperature the Horse Power started to drop with Mobil 1. With Redline 5W30 the Horse Power INCREASED as it got hotter.
see: http://www.c5-corvette.com/redline.htm
Even though both the Mobil 1 and Redline oils tested were 5W30 multi-vis oils, the redline made more horsepower. I read this as Redline is lower in viscosity than Mobile One at higher temperatures.

Jim what brand and type of oil do you run?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts