Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, tonight was the christening"so to speak", went past the 500 mark............
Didn't do any Bonzai wheel spinning starts.......but, I did do a rolling 5-10 mph full throttle blast.......went 1st to 2nd, and then to 3rd, and WHAMMO!!!!!!..........
It was like someone shut off the engine?????
I immediately checked thre R's, and was( I thought WELL below) the redline.......it was like I hit a brick wall......
I then returned, and switched to the Competition mode, and did it again...........was a clean run........didn't happen again.........what do you folks think?????.
RPM limiter??????

·
Registered
420 Posts
Did you hit the rev limiter? Try it and see if it's the same feeling. It won't hurt the engine (if you don't do it every day). It feels BAD when you do it. :)

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Hence the need for a shift light!

:D

:cheers:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guy's........

Man, I must have been in rectal defilade!!!!!
I thought Uh-Oh!!!!!!!!
Especially, since I thought there was no way I had redlined it..........
It was dark , so I probably wasn't as up to snuff as I should have been........this dude is one "Quick", piece of plastic......

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shiftlight......

I thought about this BEFORE I purchased the vehicle......
I couldn't figure out WHY, there wasn't an AUDIBLE alert gadjet that would allow you to set it at, say, 6200........and when you hit it, you automatically know to shift.
By doing so, you would never have to take your eyes off the road.
A lot less expensive than the HUD.............hehe.......meebe' that's WHY.......:roll:

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
With our redline/rev limiter - I would wager to say it's optimum to shift at 6400....by the time you react to the light, you're closer to the limiter, and our cams don't really make power up that high anyway. :)

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
You'd be surprised at how fast you learn to shift near redline. I've been driving mine like a madman for 1yr 2mo and people that ride with me are amazed at how close I get without looking......

Just comes with time (and practice :)

JC

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How Fast............ain't the word for it!!!!!!

Thanks all............
I thought I had popped the pooch......I remembered something about the rev limiter......but, since I have been in the "Break In ", mode........I haven't had the opportunity to BLOW it up!!!!!!!.
NJ, you said this won't damage the car?????.......as long as it's not a REGULAR occurence.........
I'm sure that's WHY it's on there.......but, I will make SURE it doesn't happen again.........bad JUJU............:(
This was NOT a pleasurable experience..........

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I remember hitting the rev limiter on my 99 coupe. I was in second gear and I must have hit it 3 or 4 times until I realized why I wasn't going any faster. It didn't shut the engine down as much as just backed it down a little.

I am just about at 300 miles on my Z. ZO6LS6, you must be happy now that you are finally free of the break-in. Hopefully 4 more nights of driving should do it for me :D .

- Charley

·
Registered
680 Posts
It's all in the ears!

N4C5S said:
You'd be surprised at how fast you learn to shift near redline. I've been driving mine like a madman for 1yr 2mo and people that ride with me are amazed at how close I get without looking......

Just comes with time (and practice :)

JC
After awhile you can really "Hear" when to shift....eh JC:D

·
Registered
361 Posts
I think its your T/C

When I first drove mine (it was broke in when I got it). I got the T/C to come on w/ a hard shift from 2nd to 3rd. When you do this the car falls on its face.:cheers:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Zee Freak

That sounds more like what I experienced.........it was like I TURNED the engine OFF...........
The more I reflect on it, I MAY have been going 1st to 2nd, and this would definitely explain the TC coming into play.......
Funny, I didn't find any thing in the owners manual saying it would be THAT abrupt.......?????

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
You lucky guys with the '02's can activate the HUD tach. That might help knowing when to shift :D

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Hi,
Did the same thing with mine Thusday after hitting 500 miles on the clock. The car is so quick it is astonishing how fast it gets past redline and into the Rev Limiter. I guess it is just going to take more practice to get it right.

Carzzy

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
More tries...........

Been experimenting with this sequence again.........
Today, in daylight for a change.........:)

I ran it up to the point where the "Traction System", activation came into play......this was NADA like the brick wall experience of the rpm / rev limiter........whew!!!!!.

Did some practice runs, and ran er' up to around 6100......trying to get used to how fast she spools......

With these cars, you gotta pay C_L_O_S_E attention!!!!:eek:

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
What is the best way to run her through the gears ? I haven"t

had much time to experiment yet. I would think that shifting at 6000 rpm should be the max. because that is where the HP peaks.Trouble is that I shoot for 6000 and end up at 6600 into the rev limiter because it spools up so quick. Am I better off using the comp. mode to have the TC off? I had an '01 6 spd. conv. before this and didn't seem to run into this problem much.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Carzzy

I would recommend NOT turning this system off, until you get REAL used to the auto's tendencies....( it can keep you out of trouble).

This is (as you know), NOT a regular C5......

All this system does, (if I understand it) is limit wheel spin........
It really doesn't stop you from hitting the rev limiter at all.....

Ranger said the reason to get the R's UP to the limit (close), was to keep them from falling OFF too low, and cutting your times when you shift.....

If you cut out the system, and powershift........you are asking for trouble unless you are really experienced..........
I am not comfortable going this route........YET:D )
Best of luck............:cheers:

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Z06LS6

Thanks for the advice. The way this thing goes and with the TC off I would probably be all over the road. I like you, just turned 500 miles on the car the other day and began experimenting a little with it. I'm sure I will get it right with a little more practice.

Carzzy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts