Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got in my stock '01 Z06 and found this broken piece of spring on the floor in the driver's foot area. :-?

The clutch, brake, and accelerator pedals all feel and drive like normal.

I haven't had time to look up under the dash behind the pedals, but I thought someone might know what this is. You can see where it broke - towards the upper left corner of the image.

The picture makes it look bigger than it is - for reference, a quarter just fits inside the coils.

:eek2:

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Clutch return spring is my guess :cheers:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Spring

It looks like a broken accelerator pedal spring. Work the accelerator pedal by hand you should feel the pedal pivoting on a pin. Just a guess.

Chas.

·
21,378 Posts
wlxx861 said:
It looks like a broken accelerator pedal spring. Work the accelerator pedal by hand you should feel the pedal pivoting on a pin. Just a guess.

Chas.
I think wlxx861 nailed it. Looking at the parts breakdown, the accelerator pedal was the only pedal sporting a spring. #9 in the pic.

Must be that lead foot you have! :lol:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
It's definately a clutch return spring (or 1/3rd of it anyway). It's normally located toward the top of the clutch peddle. I took mine off last summer to stop my clutch from sticking to the floor when it starts acting wacky. I would reach under your dash and pull the rest of it out of there so it can't get caught on anything. The only consequence to having the spring off is a slight (almost unnoticable) increase in clutch weight, so you don't have to worry about taking it to the dealer and getting it replaced if you don't want to.. Oh... and if you DO want to replace it... the thing is a major bitch to put back on and there will be much swearing involved.

·
Registered
94 Posts
NETfiend said:
Oh... and if you DO want to replace it... the thing is a major bitch to put back on and there will be much swearing involved.
Two things will help with this.. Favorite type of beer and rounding up a few buddies to serve as tool bitches. Never perform mechanical work without good resources.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Since we have a little bit of disagreement as to which spring this is, I think the easiest thing to do would be to reach behind the gas pedal to feel for that spring. If the coils are the size of a quarter, I'd guess it's the clutch return spring though.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
When I changed out my accelerator pedal, I don't recall the spring that's under it being big enough to fit a quarter through. If my memory serves me correctly, it's fairly small.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My clutch return spring broke about two months ago. I had a major problem reinstalling that :cen: spring. Decided to do a follow-up post and save somebody from the pain and suffering. My information is near the end of this post:
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52890

The clutch is smoother and easier to engage with the spring. If you decide not to install, remove the broken one.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Looks like a clutch return spring to me as well. I have had mine off and I can confirm that they are no fun to put back on.

Should be pretty easy to look down there and figure out which one it is.

Good luck figuring it out and fixing it. :cheers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts