Corvette Z06 Forum banner

What tires should I put on my Black C5 Z06?

• Goodyear F1 Supercar (original equipment)

Votes: 35 12.9%
  • Michelin PS2

Votes: 118 43.5%
  • Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval

Votes: 31 11.4%
  • Other

Votes: 87 32.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The original Goodyear F1 SC
or Michelin PS2
or Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval

The Firestones are the best price but I am leaning towards the Goodyear since they are original equipment and I think they look best.

What did you do and why?

If other specify which tire and why?

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Depends on what you want from a tire:
F1SC a good dry performer and so-so in wet 220 grade, mileage so-so, 8/32 thread
MPS2 good dry and wet - 220 grade - mileage better starting at 10/32
FSWO price/value leader ... OK on road, hard tire
Toyo T1-R has many advocates. ~ 280 grade I think
OH ... what I did ... burning off my third set of F1's (originals, plus one new take-of set, plus 1.5 sets with about 70% wear left) ... consumed mainly through AutoX, time trials, track time, and driving to events ... wanted to learn to drive on street tires ...
Have a set of Nitto 555RII's for the track, and for my limited road use.
Next sets will be Hoosier A6 or R6 and either another set of Nitto's or Toyo 888's ... because tire performance is priority over tire wear.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I went with none of the above. I went with the Kumho MX tires because I think they have good performance for the price you pay. I will buy them next go around also.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just recently bought Firestone W.O. for the rear of my Z. $488 for the pair. They are definitely not the stiffest sidewall of all time, but I can say that they are decent in rain!! These are my street tires only, and DennyM is correct in saying they are hard. They carry a high treadwear rating, so for just tooling around town they're good.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I went with the Firestones for the street because of cost. I use Kumho V710s for auto-x and track days, and Mickey ET streets for the strip.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
I had the Michelins and loved them but then switched to the Firestones. I was surprised at how much I liked the WO's! And boy do they last on the street. That would be my choice for the street.Great price. Wish they made the C6Z sizes.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Although the GYF1SC is a good tire, I prefer the PS2 for all around use. The price of the PS2 is the only drawback IMO. I might try the Toyo's next time.

I ooked at the WO but did not like look of the tire when mounted on the wheel. What some people call the "rim protector" design of the tire looks funny to me.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Depends on what you need from them. Personally, I think the Michelin PS2 is a great all-around tire. The stock tire just doesn't compare; they're known as run-craps for a reason. Do you need run-flats? It doesn't sound like it to me. If you're looking to not spend much money on tires, you can go with the Wide Ovals or the Kumhos, as someone suggested. Good luck.

I love the tire that I run, but they don't last very long. But, they suit my needs.

:mug:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I bought Kumho Ecsta MX's (275 fronts) for my replacement tire and feel that they are very comparible to the F1SCs in the dry, and better in heavy water... at significantly less cost. They are a very soft tire like the F1SC and will wear similarly to the F1SC. :cheers:

·
Registered
271 Posts
I replaced the original Goodyear F1SC with the Michelin PS2. I believe the PS2's are just as good in the dry and are much better in the wet. Not inexpensive at about $1,300 per set from Tire Rack but the quality is worth the price.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Another great all around street tire is the Nitto 555 (older design), comparable to the PS2 is dry and wet performance, slightly stiffer sidewalls, but much less expensive. I use them as my street tires and, at 5k miles, they still nearly have 8/32s depth all across, with 1.75 deg. camber. You'll have to play around with sizes since they don't come in OE fitments, but that's not a problem...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I replaced the runcraps on my '01 vert with GY GS D3s. Wow, what a difference. When the supercars on my Z16 are ready to be replaced I am leaning towards replacing them with the D3s. Great dry and wet everyday tire. The only problem is that you will have to put 275s on the front.

Rich

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
I think the best street upgrade I have made to my '04 is Firestones. Great tire, and I drive the holy crap outta my car. Very predictable handling, and they work in the rain. Cheap, Too! Oh ya, they year like iron too.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I put PS2 tires on my '04 Z06 and loved them.

Eric
I sure hope this is how my story ends. The total for my PS2 out the door at Discount is 1700 but I did upgrade the rears to the max size I could put on under there.....tires are just so darned expensive. My current setup has a bf goodrich on the back and a ps2 on the front that isnt even the stock size...Im assuming that is why my car handles like crap too.
I also hear that the weight on a ps2 is really low....Im going to try and figure out a way to weigh the tires before I have them put on.....maybe bring a small scale into the shop and see.

·
10,998 Posts
I just recently bought Firestone W.O. for the rear of my Z. $488 for the pair. They are definitely not the stiffest sidewall of all time, but I can say that they are decent in rain!! These are my street tires only, and DennyM is correct in saying they are hard. They carry a high treadwear rating, so for just tooling around town they're good.
Agreed. I have had three sets of Kumho's and found them to be a great substitute for the GY F1's. The GY's just suck in the rain IMHO. I am running the Firestones WO now just to try something different and will probably get another set of them when they wear out. They are great for rain and wearing very well.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
I also hear that the weight on a ps2 is really low....Im going to try and figure out a way to weigh the tires before I have them put on.....maybe bring a small scale into the shop and see.
You can get the tire weights on the specs table on TireRack.com. :idea:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
The specs page on their site is great. I always use it. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 171 Posts