Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys:

Just debating about overall reliability HP mods for the future.... I will be seeking a HP mod that will be reliable for the long term. I plan to keep this car a while. I have a 2004 Z06.

I already have....
Vararam
Air coupler
LG headers with cats
B&B Bullets

Z06 is driven to work once and a while and shows with my son on the weekend. It it not driven hard or raced. It has never seen rain. I use Q tips on it weekly cleaning it .... :D

1.) Heads/Cam/Fast Intake/Throttle body.... (Prob 6K-7K installed ?)
Prob go with LG since its around the corner from me. Would get 450++rwhp. Downside is the old saying.... Once you *uck with your motor... Your motor starts to *uck with you ! Another downside is passing emissions.

2.) A&A Procharger.... (5K fr SC, 1K for fuel pump + upgraded bracket, 2K for install + tune ?) (Stock clutch will die quickly right ? 1K for new clutch and install ?) (~approx 9K with clutch installed ?)
Do not want more than ~500rwhp to keep stock motor from blowing. Is this possible with my mods already on the car ? Put my stock exhaust back on the car ? Long term reliability? Downside is blowing up your motor with too much boost. Can I get a pulley to limit boost to 5PSI MAX ?

What do you guys think ?

Thanks
Z49

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
You can't go wrong either way. A blower will produce more HP that a H/C package. :cheers:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
robiferretti said:
i think you plan way ahead :) your warranty is good for another 2 years. By then you'll just sell the car or go TT
I plan to keep the car WAY WAY longer than 2 years... Warranty will expire in 1.5 years. Its not every day that I can afford a car like this. It took me 9 years to save up for it in the first place. :( .... I envy some of you guys that can buy a new corvette on a whim.... :p

IF I can get the SC to give me MAX of 500-525rwhp I might go that route....

Now Just to figure out HOW or is it possible to limit the A&A SC to thoes limits ?

I live in Texas where it is hot in the summer (100C+) and cold (30C) in the winter. I never drive in the rain or when its too cold (chance of ice).

Z49

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
You might look at the Magnuson at 21st Century. I believe you can get a 2/24000 warranty with it. Safe low boost and it comes on very strong at low RPM.

Chris

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chris310P said:
You might look at the Magnuson at 21st Century. I believe you can get a 2/24000 warranty with it. Safe low boost and it comes on very strong at low RPM.
Chris

I have thought of that. I am just not wanting to change the hood... It is still a possibility though.

Z49

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
It depends on how you intend to use and drive your Z. I went the h/c route because I run road courses where the blower cars have belt and overheating problems. If you running mostly on the street with an occasional 1/4 mile run, the blower is probably the way to go. Sure can't beat the sound of the cam with LT headers and exhaust for that :D factor! :thumb:

Bob

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Z49 Z06 said:
I live in Texas where it is hot in the summer (100C+) and cold (30C) in the winter.Z49
I didn't realize it got that hot here man, whew :lol:

Anyway, I too was/am concerned about reliability and that's the main reason I went with the C5R and left a a few ponies on the table. So far (knock on wood), the engine has been very reliable.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Z49 Z06 said:
I live in Texas where it is hot in the summer (100C+) and cold (30C) in the winter. I never drive in the rain or when its too cold (chance of ice).

Z49
no chance of Ice at 30C :)

I would have to say blower. It sounds like this car is a show car and being so the blower setups look great :) From what I have read the daily drive of it is still great as well.
Brian

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
z62jag said:
I didn't realize it got that hot here man, whew :lol:

Anyway, I too was/am concerned about reliability and that's the main reason I went with the C5R and left a a few ponies on the table. So far (knock on wood), the engine has been very reliable.
Aw crap.... I'm in Canada now visiting my family. I guess I have Celcius on my brain ! :lol: :pp: :bang:

I meant 100F-30F....

100C would be REALLY hot huh ? :rofl:

How is it going Jim ? Long time no see... Its Mark N with the Silver 04 Z06... I met you last at LG's one day in March I think ?

Toque

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
reddeath said:
no chance of Ice at 30C :)

I would have to say blower. It sounds like this car is a show car and being so the blower setups look great :) From what I have read the daily drive of it is still great as well.
Brian
Yes I just cruise in the car to work a few times a month, but mostly cruise with my son to car shows and just around the area... I'm not a racer or do not beat on the car at all.

I need to look more at the Magnuson. Can it be tuned to very safe levels ? I forgot about the powertrain warranty ! I need to look into this also.

Toque

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
are you gonna stop waxin.. and start driving ?

not bashing you.. but you said.. you don't drive it hard.. and you like the carshows.. and qtips...

you gotta go do a Driving School or something.. get more power.. you gotta drive it !!!!

my warrenty ended..and i have been a little less waxy.. and more enjoyment of the car has come..

the waxin thing is cool.. don't get me wrong.. but... if you arent going to drive it harder.. ? faster ?

maybe just a hood scoop ?

enjoy it .. any way you want. !!! just my .02

·
Registered
292 Posts
If you haven't seen the post on the AA turbo install here it is:
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83106

You should check it out.

You also might want to check out doing a gear swap to a 3.90 or 4.10 for quick starts, especially from 1st to 3rd. Maybe that will do it for you. There's been some post on the forum about the pros/cons of that issue.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I had this same debate (sc or h/c). Now I have both. Either way....it's a road that is never ending. You will have issues of some sort. Once you hit that 450-500 rwhp mark, you will need to be concernded with your clutch, rear end, fuel pump, tranny, and a bunch of other things that will need beefing up. So going either way will require more than just the h/c package or sc package. Then again, having 800 crank hp just sounds cool. :)

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Since you already put on the LG headers and your right around the corner from LG..

When the time is right for you...Drop the car off and have a AFR Heads and one of his G3X5 type cam installed ...or the new G5 whatever your end goal is...

LG does great work. I'd suggest that route over supercharging...

Just an opinion

Good luck and enjoy the car...

JB

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
If you do the H/C, it'll cost more than the A&A procharger route, and yield considerably less HP. It'll sound mean at idle, if that's what yanks your crank. You only need to do the clutch when the thing gives out, and that may be never with your driving habits. For max bling, it's hard to beat the Maggie, but you know the drawbacks, and the Procharger is pretty cool with the hood open as well. Read the guys post in another thread about his results of a H/C install with 450rwhp and 390tq. From his description, it sounded more high-strung, with less low-end grunt, but great top end. I think this is typical of the moderate to higher cam profiles. A Procharger should give you about 500rwhp right out of the box, with headers, and should be a DIY install. The beauty of a centri blower is stock drivability, and decent fuel consumption, as long as your foots out of the throttle.

·
Registered
292 Posts
One other thing to be concerned about that I've seen in other posts is getting the hp to the ground. You might want to do a search on tires and mini-tubs to find out what's working and what's not.

Another thought is to beef up everything that's been mentioned in other posts (including radiator, suspension, shocks, roll cage, diff strut, etc.) before you upgrade the hp instead of waiting until it breaks.

Based on previous posts, what to do depends on what your goal is as far as how you want to use the hp: drags, autocross, road racing, touring, etc.? If it's just street driving with a little blast now and then, you may want to rethink your plan, especially since it seems like it is mostly a show car and kept in perfect condition.

No disrespect intended here. I'm in the same boat. I'm asking myself the same questions.

Keep us posted on what you decided and how everything turns out. I would suggest, if it hasn't been done already, you have the car dyno'd before you start the next upgrade.

One last thought, you can still buy an extended warranty up until GM's runs out. That will cover all the things that don't get modded and maybe give a little peace of mind.

·
Registered
413 Posts
exSSer said:
If you do the H/C, it'll cost more than the A&A procharger route, and yield considerably less HP. QUOTE]

are you sure? ... I think H/C is a couple 000s less (?).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts