Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CCWs are/were nasty... I used Hawk Blue brakes at the tack once (never again). The dust is iron based and corroded into the metal (and my paint, lots of clay bar fixed that). Thus, the barrels of the wheels were nasty.

This is a before pic after cleaning with Purple Power (like simple green) Nothing worked

I decided all I wanted was a metal barrel, not polished just metal so I got some tools. It's a metal/wood cleaning/scouring brush and a nylon cleaning wheel. The nylon one (blue one) did ok, but didn't get all the crap out of the metal so I resorted the the more agressive one. It really scratches the metal and leaves a brushed aluminum look to it.

This is what they look like...

Here's a finished one...

I could send another five hours per wheel restoring them to a mirror finish (400 grit wet sanding forever, then tripoli polish, then white rouge) but CCWs classics are had to see through so I just wanted them clean. This all took me about five hours on a day off... it was slow at first figuring out the best method and which wheel did what I wanted.

Cya,
Brian

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Looks good. :z: :z:

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
wow Brian, ya' wanna do mine? :rofl:

wonder if there is some kinda protective coating you could put on so the future brake dust doesn't adhere as easily...?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Cobra4B said:
I used Hawk Blue brakes at the tack once (never again).
Me TOO! :cheers:

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry leslie... we wouldn't have enough time at the mod party to do it :D

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
All I can say is you have too much spare time! :)

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Those look great now. It may be allot of work, but the payoff was worth it. :jammin:

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now I just need to do the outer lips and put them back together. I might put some clear on the barrels, but I dunno.

·
Registered
229 Posts
WOW and i though i had some patience, nice job :thumb:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
when I had my Mustang I snapped the clutch in half, so I drove it home without a clutch, woke up and washed and waxed before the tow truck picking it up to take it for the warranty repair :D

·
Registered
620 Posts
Cobra,
I have used Hawk blues with the same results.
I used CLR to remove the brake dust. It worked great but I had to brush it on and let it sit for an hour before removing the dust.
I have used it diluted on the car's paint without any problems. I am not saying you should.
Dave

·
Registered
168 Posts
Your a trooper Brian! You won't catch me doing that! ;) If it ain't enough to throw the balance off on my road course rims, it stays!! I got about 3 Hawk pads on each of my wheels! :lol:

·
Registered
40 Posts
CCW's are so awesome for the price and looks. I cant wait to get them for my cobra. Gotta love black on black! :thumb:

·
Registered
154 Posts
That's definitely a lot of work.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Vettitude said:
That's definitely a lot of work.
Atleast it took his mind off of his car being down for awhile.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I started polishing the bling bling lips today... white rough, tripoli, then mothers billet. They look almost new again. Now I need to put the centers back in and get them road force balanced again. New clutch should come in tomorrow then I have to get it match-balanced and installed. Fingers are crossed for getting the car back Friday, but I doubt it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts