Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Performance Pack Mustang GT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across a 2004 Silver ZO6 with 9000 mile on the clock that has literally never been rained on that met its demise is the worst possible way. Solid hit to the front without damage to the engine or drive train. Got to thinking, these were great cars back in the day and are competitive with most new performance cars made now. With 9,000 miles on it, it would be a sin to salvage it out for parts, so here we go on a new adventure.

Bought a 2003 convertible Vette, never been wrecked, with just over a 100,000 miles on the clock and going to build out a show quality Convertible 2004 ZO6(I know there was no such thing from GM, but a conversion was available out of Canada).

Suspension, Electrical, Fuel, Interior, Engine, basically everything. The finished color will be the factory silver, with the front and door jams painted to match.

Since I am not a purist and won't claim it to be a Real Zo6 by VIN, the resurrection story, I think would be far more interesting by a long shot anyway.

What is the general thought on a project like this from the guys who have a more passionate interest in the ZO6 cars?

My personal ride is a 2015 Performance Pack Mustang GT with close to 800HP, and is completely road race ready, with a few other equally interesting built cars to go along with it.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Land vehicle Car Wheel Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

Cloud Sky Plant Car Tree

·
Premium Member
2003 Quicksilver Z06
26 Posts
Neat idea; casual viewers will assume you put brake vents on the vert to be cool, which could make it even more fun. Suspension, brakes, and weight will be key, of course. If you haven't driven a Z06 before, you're in for a treat. The skid pad on an auto-cross course will show you how different it is from your 'stang. [I'm a fan of 90 degree turns at 60+, which the Z06 excels at...]

p.s. there's several tech aces on this site, with lots more wisdom than I have. Looking forward to what they say.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Neat idea; casual viewers will assume you put brake vents on the vert to be cool, which could make it even more fun. Suspension, brakes, and weight will be key, of course. If you haven't driven a Z06 before, you're in for a treat. The skid pad on an auto-cross course will show you how different it is from your 'stang. [I'm a fan of 90 degree turns at 60+, which the Z06 excels at...]

p.s. there's several tech aces on this site, with lots more wisdom than I have. Looking forward to what they say.
Thanks for the motivation, looking forward having some fun with it when it gets finished.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Getting ready to start turning wrenches on the ZO6 conversion next Monday (4-25-22), posting a few before puictures before I start.

Here we go.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Plant

Tire Wheel Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Tire Vehicle registration plate

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Tire Tread

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
End of day one, hopefully by Teusday the parts needing paint will be out to the body shop. The goal is to try and finish up within a three week period, Kinda of a personal challlenge.
Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive design
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Composite material Engineering Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Gas Machine

Street light Road surface Gas Motor vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Day two has come to a close and the sense ofaccomplishment will be here soon once the teardown is complete. The anticipation of getting it down the road is setting in.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Wheel Vehicle registration plate
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood
Tire Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Wheel Vehicle registration plate
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Tire Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Closing out day three of the teardown, soon it will be the ZO6's turn.
I haven't started taking the ZO6 apart yet, so I haven't seen how the hardtop is installed. I know there have been hardtop to convertible conversions, has anyone gone the other direction, convertible to hardtop. I am thinking of a full conversion.

·
Registered
1998 CORVETTE COUPE Z06 CLONE
2 Posts
Came across a 2004 Silver ZO6 with 9000 mile on the clock that has literally never been rained on that met its demise is the worst possible way. Solid hit to the front without damage to the engine or drive train. Got to thinking, these were great cars back in the day and are competitive with most new performance cars made now. With 9,000 miles on it, it would be a sin to salvage it out for parts, so here we go on a new adventure.

Bought a 2003 convertible Vette, never been wrecked, with just over a 100,000 miles on the clock and going to build out a show quality Convertible 2004 ZO6(I know there was no such thing from GM, but a conversion was available out of Canada).

Suspension, Electrical, Fuel, Interior, Engine, basically everything. The finished color will be the factory silver, with the front and door jams painted to match.

Since I am not a purist and won't claim it to be a Real Zo6 by VIN, the resurrection story, I think would be far more interesting by a long shot anyway.

What is the general thought on a project like this from the guys who have a more passionate interest in the ZO6 cars?

My personal ride is a 2015 Performance Pack Mustang GT with close to 800HP, and is completely road race ready, with a few other equally interesting built cars to go along with it.

View attachment 17657
View attachment 17658
View attachment 17660
View attachment 17659
View attachment 17655
View attachment 17656
Closing out day three of the teardown, soon it will be the ZO6's turn.
I haven't started taking the ZO6 apart yet, so I haven't seen how the hardtop is installed. I know there have been hardtop to convertible conversions, has anyone gone the other direction, convertible to hardtop. I am thinking of a full conversion.
I OWN AS A DAILY DRIVER YEAR ROUND / A 98 CORVETTE COUPE Z06 CLONE WITH A FULL REMOVABLE BLUE GLASS TOP / A COUPE WOULD HAVE BEEN EASIER TO REMOVE THE HATCH BACK CUT THE CRASH BAR OFF TO HAVE A SEAT COVER COMPANY INSTALL A AFTER MARKET CONVERTABLE TOP WITH ALL THE HARDWARE WITH A MANUAL ROOF, SELL YOUR PROJECT HARDTOP UNLESS YOU ARE A PRO BODY PERSON WITH A BODY SHOP BUT A COUPE IT IS A CONVERTABLE WITH A REMOVABLE TOP THAT MANUALLY GOES INTO THE TRUNK IT IS NOT HEAVY / LESS PLAYING GAMES

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the information, at this point I am going keep moving forward. That will be a bridge to cross here soon.
Closing out day four, by the end of the day tomorrow the car should be down to just a frame and tub ready, then I can shift my attention to the ZO6. Hopefully the project can stay at this steady pace.
Automotive tire Military camouflage Tire Motor vehicle Camouflage
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
17 Posts

View attachment 17657
View attachment 17658
View attachment 17660
View attachment 17659
View attachment 17655
View attachment 17656
Any reason that you are not using the grey one instead of the yellow one. All C5 Z06 cars are built on a convertible body. the hardtop is the on that you can buy for a C5 convertible. the hardtop is bolted on like the hardtop on a convertible, the back of the hardtop on the Z06 is glued on. All mounting points to install the convertible top is mostly there, you don't need to order anything just take the convertible from the donor car an install it on the original Z06 ..
And you get to keep the Z06 VIN. Although the C5 Z06 ones did not have their own special VIN but the numbers show the LS6 motor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Shadetree...question about the pax seat in the 'vert. If its a power seat, could you see what the difference is between the harness for it and the harness on the side of the Z06? I'm wanting to see if a power seat from a 'normal' vette would work in a Z and what would be needed to make it work. My Z (in the future) will be a cruiser primarily, and it would be nice to have a comfy seat for the wife.

Thanks!
Byrdman

1 - 20 of 20 Posts