Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 ZO6 on order. It won`t be built until around March and I`m in no hurry. I got the local dealers last 02 allocation at $2000 off MSRP. However, since the market is full of dumped and leftover C5`s right now, I refuse to take a beating on my 2000 FRC.

I stopped at the dealer and got on the list for the 2nd 2003 ZO6. Guesstimate on delivery would be Oct. I have a couple of months to decide which one I`m going to take.

I figure the advantages to the 03 are 425 hp & it`ll be the last ZO6 in the C5 series. The disadvantage would be the wait but maybe the market would be better.

If my garage was bigger, it wouldn`t be a problem. My FRC is a great car. You have to like the body style and a lot of people don`t but in a couple of years it should start to hold its value because of its limited production. I do have a couple of guys who say they`d be interested but who knows? Talk is cheap especially around here. There are very few local C5`s here and the dealer allocations go to customers out of the area. I`m not ready to sell it yet anyway.

Sorry for the ramble.

Opinions?

BTW, I`d like to thank Frank or whoever for fixing the forum so I can read it!

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
dinosaur

Welcome to the Forum, Your headed in the right direction whatever you decide. take your time only fools rush in..........

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I do have a question about one of your assumptions - that the '03 Z06 will have 425 h/p. I have heard several times that there will be no Z06 power changes to the '03 Z06. All emphasis for '03 will be the Anniverary stuff, which does not include the Z. I believe Hib Halverson also recently stated to not expect any power changes...

So, could you share your source of info with us, they would be gret news, if true..

Thanks!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

On 2001-08-09 08:03, BLEUBYU spewed forth this drivel:
I do have a question about one of your assumptions - that the '03 Z06 will have 425 h/p. I have heard several times that there will be no Z06 power changes to the '03 Z06. All emphasis for '03 will be the Anniverary stuff, which does not include the Z. I believe Hib Halverson also recently stated to not expect any power changes...

So, could you share your source of info with us, they would be gret news, if true..

Thanks!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Good question. It is an assumption I guess. I`ve been off the forums for a couple of weeks and I can`t recall where I read it. It may only be conjecture at this point. However, I`m willing to bet the 03 Z won`t have any less either! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Even the dealer is assuming 425 hp but that`s not written in stone. It wouldn`t take much to kick a 405 hp up to 425 anyway. The nice thing would be to have the last year ZO6 but basically I will not give my FRC away.
I can wait and see how the economy goes.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
dinosaur welcome!!!!! You are right about the market being flooded with C5's, of course with the stock market in the gutter Corvettes are something that people seem to be able to live without. I do not know how much if any increase in power you will find with the C6 so close, but there is no wrong time to get a new Vette. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

·
Registered
340 Posts
I am sitting here and trying to figure out wha and FRC is??? I gave up, what is it???

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Well, I learned something today. FRC, huh, I wonder if it will ever come up in conversation or be on a test! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Bill

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
70boss302

Bill,

This will be on an unannounced test in the future..........

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
As we all know the 2001 z06 has taken a beating on resale because of the high demand for the 2002. The changes to the 2002 IMHO is a major factor for lack of demand for the 2001. I do not see this happening to the 2002 as they are no major changes in store for the 2003 z. Can we say that for the 2003 as the C-6 is due in 2004. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
652 Posts

On 2001-08-09 12:24, IMA Z06 spewed forth this drivel:
<B>FRC
= fixed roof coupe..........

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

</B>
FRC= F#%$ing Real Corvette..........
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
0 Posts

On 2001-08-10 17:36, FRC Tom spewed forth this drivel:
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I was waiting for that one Tom!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

·
Registered
4,332 Posts

On 2001-08-10 17:36, FRC Tom spewed forth this drivel:
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD>Quote:</font><HR NOSHADE SIZE=1 COLOR=AAAAAA></TD></TR><TR><TD><BLOCKQUOTE><B>
On 2001-08-09 12:24, IMA Z06 spewed forth this drivel:
<B>FRC
= fixed roof coupe..........

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

</B>

</B></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR NOSHADE SIZE=1 COLOR=AAAAAA></TD></TR></TABLE>

FRC Tom
I was saving that for the later Test...........

·
Registered
123 Posts
It's been conjectured that the current beating on 2001 Z06s is due to owners of 2001s getting 2002 orders filled and having to trade while dealers still have new 2001 Z06s which are unsold. The dealer I work with has said that by this fall prices for used 2001 Z06s should be up.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts

On 2001-08-10 20:53, EZ2XLR8 spewed forth this drivel:
It's been conjectured that the current beating on 2001 Z06s is due to owners of 2001s getting 2002 orders filled and having to trade while dealers still have new 2001 Z06s which are unsold. The dealer I work with has said that by this fall prices for used 2001 Z06s should be up.
Once all of the new 01 Z06s are gone from dealer lots, I would agree. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Talk is cheap especially around here.
I represent that remark! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

I agree with EZ2XLR8 and Rick. The combination of 20 more ponies, improved rings, the economy and new 01 cars left on dealers lots made it tough to get out of a Z06. Unfortunately, many chose to take the bath and the glut was on. As the supply of new 01's dry up and all the "gotta haves" have the 02's I think prices will recover.

Now to your question - I think when the C6 comes out the 03's are going to suffer for the same reasons the 01's did, only worse, because there are going to be far more "gotta haves" in the market. The depreciation on the new 03's is going to be impressive along with the discounts, while those of us with 01's and 02's will get to spread that out over a longer period of time, so the pain won't seem so bad.

Historically, Chevy bumps up the final year of production for each generation to keep interest up. The 82's got cross-fire, the 96's got the LT4, so I would be real surprised if the 03's didn't get something special. The 96 LT4's are the prize of that generation, so I suspect somewhere waaaay down the road the 03's will be viewed as the best of the C5's.

So I would either scoop up a new 01, enjoy it now and a year or two into the C6, or wait for the 03 and keep it a long time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Whichever one I get, either an 02 or 03, I plan on keeping it for awhile. I`ll probably get the extended warrantee as I have no plans right now for a C6. I didn`t like the C5 until the FRC came out so I`ll probably wait a few years.

Was there a glut of unsold 96`s when the C5 was announced? I don`t recall. If that happens, I think any C5 will drop in value until the C6 feeding frenzy subsides.

I`m going to make my car available soon locally and see what happens. If it sells, then my decision is easy. If not, well......

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Was there a glut of unsold 96`s when the C5 was announced? I don`t recall.

Man I would say so! At one time we had over 150 96 Vettes on our lot and was disc. them with a huge rebate from GM up to $10,000.00 The only rebate I can remember. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

1 - 20 of 20 Posts