Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I have read every thread I can find on DIY oil change. the different methods, pros and cons.

i have decided on the method of jacking up the car, pulling the drain plug and oil filter, then lowering the car down to drain remaining oil, jack back up and replace filter and bolt.

I don't have a Kwik Lift and I'm not going under the car with the rear wheels suspended on jack stands ala the "rear end higher than the front to ensure all oil is drained out". It's just not going to happen.

My question: I lowered my car on the stock bolts. The drain pan I use holds 12 qts, and is about 6" high. It's too tall for me to lower the car down to finish the oil drain without crushing the pan.

does anyone know of a drain pan I can use that is short enough to lower the car over it?

thanks very much!

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Pick a Rubber maid dish pan up at Wal Mart. They come in different sizes and different depths. Fill it up with seven or eight quarts of water and mark on the side at the top level of the water. Take a utility knife and cut the top of the pan off. Slide it under the car and see if it clears everything. Hope it works out for you.

Rubber Maid Stock Holder,

D.J.

·
Registered
259 Posts
HI
I know you have read every oil change thread but I just have to ask. Why are you making yourself crazy , just put the VETTE up on four jack stands and drain the oil. If you leave a little oil in the pan how bad can it be ? You are adding SEVEN quarts of new oil . I'll bet you change oil like most , about 3000 miles so how dirty can the little bit of oil be. The engines are tough and well designed they will drain 99.9% just give it a little time. You could buff her up a little while your waiting :D JMHO :cheers:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
You get a little more oil out of it, if the rear is slightly higher than the front. :z:

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
IT L GO said:
You get a little more oil out of it, if the rear is slightly higher than the front. :z:
Yep, you know if you don't want the hassle of doing it the best way - it might be better to just take it in to have it done. I change my own oil in all my vehicles, because I enjoy doing it. The amount you save is really so small, DIY is more for the love of it.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I just put mine up on Rhino ramps, then lift the rear maybe an extra inch and set the rear cross member on jack stands (just enough to barely unweight the rear wheels but they are still sitting on the Rhino ramps). Then I can use whatever oil pan I happen to have handy. I have five of them. :lol:

·
Registered
882 Posts
Bought another one, the top is flat but for a 1/2" hole in the center. This way if you "drop" the filter or especially bolt, you don't have to go fishing. :rofl:

I always lay lots of cardboard about. Doesn't seem to matter, I like to make a big mess. :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts