·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Taylor, cause RG from Exit-28 told me so. :lol:

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
MSD

I still have the stock wires on mine, but if MSD makes a "plug on set", I will probably replace them. The no 7 cyl/plug is right next to the header tube,and I am sure will cause trouble later.I have been using MSD boxes and wires on all my cars for the last 8 or 9 years. Headers on all my cars( past and present) and the stock wires do not hold up against the heat. I'm sure others here have had the same good luck with some of the other brands listed, as I have with MSDs. ;)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Taylor wires..iam on my 2nd set ..01 coupe aprox 1yr,now on the Z06..cost and performance sold me:)

·
Registered
179 Posts
RE: Plug Wires

Gotta go for the MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor.

MSD for the LS1/6 the 8.5mm gives more wire shield than 8mm wires, direct-fit, nice and short (the shorter the better).

The FACTORY wire is junk. All 7mm's and 300ohms worth!

The MSD shield has is equal to a 1500 ohm wire suppression yet the resistance is a mere >30ohms, this spark goes where it belongs - in the hole.

The MSD has nice long boots at the plug to help get out beyond
the heat sheilds and insulate the actual connector.

The MSD fits inside the factory heat shields for the boots if you desire to keep them, I do. If you run headers you sometimes run into needing more air gap between the boot and primary tube for proper cooling to keep from constant boot melt, the MSD has a good thin (compared to the taylor) hi-temp boot on the straights and a beefy 90 that holds up well when you have room.

Holley. Always last to come up with a new application, which means they're never there when I need them. My experience has been they're all marketing and no product. (except carburators of course).

In my opinon, more performance/value for the money for the MSD than all the rest, easy to work with. I do wish they would include dielectric grease like taylor. They do cost a little more than the taylor, just watch the mark-up where you buy them, they really are not much more than the taylor, retailers just tend to charge more since MSD is a household word.

I have had a set on my LT1 with headers for 25,000 miles, just checked 'em, not even thinking about replacing them, they don't skip a beat! Even with the headers!

I have heard many people swear by the MAGNACORE but they do cost more and not as commonly found, I would be interested to compare notes on them and to do a performance/value added analysis.

The TAYLOR's are O.K., they are cheaper, I would have to remeasure, but I beleive its around 50ohms @ 8mm, never as low as MSD 8.5mm for the LS1/6 direct-fit, I like the taylors if you have to route them through factory wire seperators (GM changed to 7.5-8.0mm, sometimes even half and half like on the LT1 beleive it or not) other wise the taylor has an odd boot, good for grip but doesn't fit in the factory boot sheilds when you want to keep them, they crunch up the phenolic paper in the sheild and cram in the shield (transfering the heat defeating some of the sheild affect).

There are the NOLOGY's, very couple hundred expensive, I have not used them but the information is good, I don't care to search for good ground locations that require me to loosen vital factory bolt torques, like outside head bolts (asking for leaks and reducing reliability). A clean ground is important due to the capacitor and not everyone remembers to increase the cars gound path between battery/chassis/engine like I do, can't use a low voltage fine wire electrode (like platinum and irridium), must use use silver core full size electrode which I think conducts better but requires a higher voltage to maintain.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I am trying to decided on which plug wires to get.

Seems that MSD and Magnecor are the top favorites.

Any more comments?

Btw, I have denso irid. plugs

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The stock wires on a LS1/6 motor are more than sufficient, mainly because of there short run. On more conventional ignition systems Magnecor wires are the best. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Z06Dad said:
I am trying to decided on which plug wires to get.

Seems that MSD and Magnecor are the top favorites.

Any more comments?

Btw, I have denso irid. plugs
I have the Delphi wires on my Z06 and they're fantastic. They are the only wires to not have burned up while the engine is on an engine dyno.

·
Registered
573 Posts
which wires should i use with lg long tube headers..thank you

·
Registered
298 Posts
IT L GO said:
The stock wires on a LS1/6 motor are more than sufficient, mainly because of there short run. On more conventional ignition systems Magnecor wires are the best. :cheers:
:yeadog:

·
Registered
11 Posts
wires

Magnecor wires.....Ran them on my dsm's for years....Alot of 10 second passes on them and never had a problem..Quality is great.....

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
I've run the MSD 8.5mm wires with Koolsox (to protect against heat from the headers) for 2 years and have had no issues with them at all. I run a pretty cold plug too.

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts