Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had my car tuned (HP Tuners), used a Mustang Dyno, as thats the type dyno he had. Car put out 347-350 rwhp on the dyno. (with a real safe tune)

Before the tune and Vararam install, I took it to a Dynojet dyno and it put out 377 rwhp.

Just curious as to the difference.

Thanks,

augydog

·
Registered
881 Posts
I have heard 20 to 30 hp difference but it has to vary between individual Mustan dynos or individual Dynajets also.

My car made 361 on a Mustang with LT headers/Cats and a Vararam + Tune so your numbers seem to track.

Most people say you should only use dyno numbers for comparison and only if the before and after runs are on the same dyno since there is no traceable standard for calibration of dynos.

·
Registered
69 Posts
RalphP said:
I have heard 20 to 30 hp difference but it has to vary between individual Mustan dynos or individual Dynajets also.

My car made 361 on a Mustang with LT headers/Cats and a Vararam + Tune so your numbers seem to track.

Most people say you should only use dyno numbers for comparison and only if the before and after runs are on the same dyno since there is no traceable standard for calibration of dynos.
My 04 is totally stock and only put down about 316hp on a Mustang dyno 2 weeks ago. After some very mild tuning (leaning and advancing spark a bit using EFILive7), we saw 325hp max.
Would headers/cats/vararam really add 36 more hp at the wheels? Seems like a lot! Don't know - every dyno is going to be calibrated slightly differently and different environmental conditions must have some effect I'd guess.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Ag-Z06 said:
My 04 is totally stock and only put down about 316hp on a Mustang dyno 2 weeks ago. After some very mild tuning (leaning and advancing spark a bit using EFILive7), we saw 325hp max.
Would headers/cats/vararam really add 36 more hp at the wheels? Seems like a lot! Don't know - every dyno is going to be calibrated slightly differently and different environmental conditions must have some effect I'd guess.
If you search on this site, you will find a lot of threads that address the question of how much HP you get from headers and intake with a tune. Plus, the peak HP number can be deceptive since what really matters is torque throughout the range of 3000-6500 rpm. You can have strong torque throughout the curve, but if it drops off a little early, you won't see the high peak HP. My tuner said stock Zs usually turn about 330 to 335 on his dyno. I never had a "before" dyno run so I don't know how much I picked up. I would guess around 30 hp and 30 lb-ft with the torque increase spanning much of the curve. The car did feel noticeably stronger with those mods. :yeadog:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts