Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install a harness bar and video camera in my car so I can tape my HPDE's, drag races, ect...

I see some videos here that look good and some that make me car sick when trying to watch the video. I wanted some opinions on which camera to get and why. I think that I want it in DVD format and I want it to record high quality at night too.

I was in a friends ZO6 with a harness bar and I could not set the seat back far enough to be comfortable driving. I think he had the Hardbar kit. Is there a bar that let's you set your seat back all the way? Thanks.

George

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I do know that you don't want a DVD setup...it can skip. I would use the DV tape setup. I have the BK bar with an I/O Port camera mount. In this clip I was using a Samsung camera...now, I'm using a Sony that is a little lighter and takes a better picture.

Right click save as :guiness:

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
case2307 said:
I do know that you don't want a DVD setup...it can skip.
Mine also don't record sometimes. I have lost a bunch of great video's even though it says it recording :mah:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I don't know what kind of events your doing, but I use the Brey-Krause harnessbar, belt mount kit and camera mount. It will allow the seats to slide all the way back. My camera is a Sony handicam with "steady shot" and works really well. I always record my autocross runs and have great in-car of my DE at VIR.

If you're doing Solo 1 or wheel to wheel racing and have a full cage - I agree with speedpup. IO port camera mount for sure.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What's an io port? I need a mount for my cage too. I already have the Sony.

·
Premium Member
10,998 Posts
I use a "Crossbar" and it comes with a camera mount as a standard piece not additional cost option. It is easily removed by taking out two bolts. Use of the original OEM seatbelts is retained whether the crossbar is installed or not. It also lets the drivers seat go all the way back, I need all the leg room I can get. Look up r-dracing .

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
panzer said:
I use a "Crossbar" and it comes with a camera mount as a standard piece not additional cost option. It is easily removed by taking out two bolts. Use of the original OEM seatbelts is retained whether the crossbar is installed or not. It also lets the drivers seat go all the way back, I need all the leg room I can get. Look up r-dracing .

I saw the bar, but I did not see a price, what to they run?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
10,998 Posts
Morzoff said:
I saw the bar, but I did not see a price, what to they run?

Thanks,
Mike
PM sent

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
I have a Panasonic PV-GS400 that records in 16:9 format (or normal if you like). Its image quality is superb and not like most digital video cameras. When you open its raw format in windows media player, it fills the entire computer monitor (17") screen easily with razor sharp clarity. It is expensive, but it is worth it to me. I can send video if you have a DSL/Cable modem. Or, I can send link to a video.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Hotlap timer turned out great. Fit's right where the ashtray goes and was really easy to install. :)

I was talked out of the harness bar and will be going with a custom 4 point rollbar instead. I guess it's time to make the car safe.

George

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
GR8 WHITE said:
I have a Panasonic PV-GS400 that records in 16:9 format (or normal if you like). Its image quality is superb and not like most digital video cameras. When you open its raw format in windows media player, it fills the entire computer monitor (17") screen easily with razor sharp clarity. It is expensive, but it is worth it to me. I can send video if you have a DSL/Cable modem. Or, I can send link to a video.
I am really interested in seeing a video. I'm going to do some research on the camera you mentioned. Here is my email address. Thanks.

[email protected] :thumb:

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
freefall said:
I have one of the Sony 480 line bullet cameras - sold under many names (HelmetCam, etc.) and record to a mini-dv camcorder. Here's some video - http://www.hpjvids.com/freefall/viperdays1500.wmv

I mounted it to the passenger's sunvisor bracket.
That video is nice, but does NOT do the racing video justice. I had the Brey-Krause mount and had it mounte dsame place. I thought it was good too, but it was lacking until I moved the camera to middle of seats, back, center. Now I get (with a wide angle lens) from the left sid eof steering wheel to the right side of the CORVETTE word on passenger side, from top of mirror to as low as tip of shift knob. cant beat that video....You see EVERYTHING to include gauges.....

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Speedway ZO6 said:
http://photos.imageevent.com/crazyducati916/dyno/MOV00097.MPG

Woops, sorry to post twice but I forgot the vid.......The camera used on this wasn't the greatest but you get the idea of what the set up I am using looks like. This was slightly zoomed in cause I did NOT want the speedo on it.
Thanks for posting the pic and video. It looks like the IO Port does a good job on keeping the camera steady.

Mark Stein at MSI was showing me those harness bars last time I was there and they looked nice. I think that I am going to go with a custom 4 point rollbar instead for a little added safety.

George

1 - 20 of 20 Posts