Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been quoted $55,150 by one of the local dealerships, which is obviously over MSRP and well over invoice. I know the '02 Z06 is in demand, but seriously... are we expected to hand over that much money for one? I know that people are getting them for close to MSRP elsewhere. What's the best arrangement I can make if I'm trading in a car (Supra TT) and don't have the luxury (or do I?) of buying one out of state?

Second, I want to get in on (doesn't everyone?) the special interest rates on the '02, but they end on 10/31 and I need to take delivery before then, if I'm not mistaken. They have located a Millenium Yellow car, which is fine with me, but I would have rather had EB or TR, probably. I'll take what I can get, but it's not worth waiting for a car to be built just to pay several thousand for it in interest fees, right?

Well, if I hear numbers I like tomorrow at another dealership (who I'm hoping can source the same car) then I'll be buying the MY car, because that's too good a deal to pass up. I just don't want to pay a substantial amount over MSRP if possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Jim,

Welcome to the Forum. :)

If you post your request under the dealer forums, they can delivery you a new Z06 under MSRP in the time frame you want.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sell your car first. More often than not, you're always better off selling your car. Get the trade-in out of the picture, then deal with the forum dealers.

Raymond

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
On the West Coast, there is still a lot of price gouging going on. I just did a spot check on an '02 in SF Bay Area. The dealer visited has one priced at $5k over MSRP, typical for this area. At same time they are heavily promoting the special GMAC financing.

Get on www.gmbuypower.com and search the NW for a car. You are bound to find a few more in inventory at dealers both near and far.

Also, if you can keep your old car and/or sell privately, you'll be better off. SOP for most dealer is to give you low wholesale blue book for a trade.

IMO, this car cost too much to compromise on what you really want, RE: color preference. If you are willing to put in the time and effort, shopping on the phone for the car you really want, you "should" be able to both find one in your favorite color and get a fair deal.

When all else fails, call Rick Daniels next week (after he gets back from vacation), at Maxie Price in Georgia and he should be able to help you out before time runs out.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I called around dealers around my area (Los Angeles, CA)... and
was quoted MSRP if i order one from few dealers.. I got a quote of
slightly under MSRP from forum dealers... but I was looking for
a even lower price...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Keep looking I have been reading many sites of dealers offering really good discounts because they are overloaded, and lets face it car sales have really slowed down and they have to discount them if they want to move cars. :)

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Just adding to what Carl said, if you could be patient and wait until the rush of "gotta have it early" buyers are covered, say in mid winter when the economy is likely to be even slower, and Vette fever is at its minimum, you might make an even better deal. :D

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Check with the forum sponsor from Louisiana. I got a call from one of their sales guys and he told me that I could have one for about $4K under MSRP. That is the best discount I have personally heard of. There may be some other discounts around but I doubt much if any lower than that.
As the others have mentioned, do not do a trade-in, sell it yourself. Also, taking delivery by 10/31 to qualify for the 0% financing may be the true limiting item for you. It will be tougher to find one on a lot of a dealer that is willing to give a nice discount.
If you are going to pay $5K over MSRP just to get one in time to qualify for 0% for 36 months then you are paying WAY more than if you got 6% and got the car for $3K under MSRP.

Good luck!

Don

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone!

Just did a search and located an Electron Blue car at a local dealer. Not sure if it's spoken for already, but they're still listing it in their inventory, and the window sticker shows MSRP of $50,510.00.

I'll be giving them a call shortly... :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Electon Blue update...

Denied! I didn't even get past the dealership's asking price before I choked... $65,000. Guy claims they sold the last one at that price (it's in Kirkland, WA...) and they were firm. I thanked him for his time.

But the good news is that I just put a $1,000 deposit down on another Electron Blue car (build date 9/17) which is going to be delivered to a dealership south of here (Tacoma, WA) in the next couple weeks, in time for the financing special.

Best news is that they "only" want $2,000 over MSRP, which is good for this area. The next best offer was $5,000 over, but I do have an appointment with another dealership who is apparently eager to get my business, so they'll have to beat the price and locate a car. There is a Torch Red car in state, and that would be my second choice.

They (the dealership I have an appointment with) located a Quicksilver '01 Z06 and were trying to sell me that at '02 MSRP hyping it with 0% financing for 60 months, but with the problems I heard about the '01 cars having (oil leaking, spun bearings?), the color (didn't want a silver car) and 20 less horsepower for almost as much money, it didn't seem like a great deal.

I could factory order a '02 and miss the deadline, costing me more in interest fees than I'd save by paying MSRP. I could order one from the midwest or east and spend more having it transported, and still have the headache of getting rid of my Supra in the bargain, so a few thousand bucks doesn't really matter that much to me.

With any luck, I'll be an EB Z06 owner by the end of this weekend. Just won't have the car yet... :)

Thanks everyone for your help, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm glad it all worked out for you. The General's special limited-time financing is really a killer deal. I'm glad that I'll be taking delivery of my beast within the correct timeframe to get this deal too. I just hope I will qualify. Will find out next week...

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
If you are paying $2K over MSRP instead of buying one at $3K or $4K under MSRP just to get 0%, you are spending more. You should go to a loan calculator and do some calculations. You will find that you are spending more just trying to get 0% financing.
I think you can get an '02 for about $3K or $4K under MSRP, check with our forum dealer from Louisiana. Say you put down $10k. You should be able to get a new car loan for 36 months at <= 6%, which means your payments would be about $1100/ month. Your total financing for the term would be about $3400. You would be anywhere from $1500 to $2500 ahead. That can buy some pretty nice mods. Don't give the money to those dealers that are price gouging. No one needs to pay over MSRP.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Another thing to consider...if you order from a dealer in the central U.S. where prices are lower you won't have to pay extra shipping. The destination charge built into the cost of the vehicle covers the cost to ship the car anywhere in the U.S. regardless of which dealer the car is purchased from. You'll just need to call a dealer for more info. :D

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
2001Z06, you've missed his point. He said he wants to trade in a car, which he may have to do in order to afford the payments. He can't trade-in in Louisiana if he lives in Washington State. Also, no offense, but you make it sound like getting a car for well under MSRP is a POC. Oh contraire my friend, it is usually only for the few, sorry, make that the "lucky" few.

Getting those kind of big discounts on a car as red hot as the Z06, usually means one has the "inside" track with GM. Or, is old friends or a close relative of the dealer, or maybe a local business owner with a big fleet leasing contract with that dlr. There may be other means for people to have "leverage" over a typical dlr, eg. their business or tax attorney, CPA, etc.

An out of state buyer usually has no such leverage to bring to the bargaining table. It use to be just having enough money to pay cash was all the leverage you needed. I don't think that is necessarily your best calling car anymore, unless you find a dealer about to go out of business or facing bankruptcy.

Again, FWIW, I still think trading in a car, unless already an old beat up, high mileage POS, is not necessarily in your best interests. I can't think of a way for a dealer to take advantage more than when a reasonably good trade-in is involved. Most dealers have ways to virtually guaranteed a decent profit one way or the other on almost any new car purchase, ESPECIALLY on a Z06. A trade-in absolutely guarantees there is even more profit to be made. Most reputable dealers will usually admit you are better off selling your own car (if in good running condition) and that is generally sound advice.

Your reference to a monthly payment of ~$1100/mo prompts me to make further comment. I don't know about all of you other tremendously successful people :p, but that amount could put a formidable strain on most budgets in lieu of the current pissed poor economy. Even a couple hundred $$ less monthly payment could make the difference between getting into a new Z06 or not THIS YEAR.

When you add in the cost of possibly substantially higher price car insurance, especially for single/younger people, it becomes quite difficult to afford a $50k Z06 even with above average income. We often forget, some forum mbrs are younger guys, fresh out of school, in the military, newly wed, or with infant children. For THEM, buying a Z06, although highly desireable, is a definite challenge. :(

Just my 2cts.

·
Registered
111 Posts
2001 with 900 to 3000 miles are selling for $40 to$42,000, buy one of those and save the depreciation. After you drive it around the block you cannot tell the difference.

·
Registered
221 Posts
too much money

i want a Z06, but paying over MSRP seems crazy...since the 2001's are now selling for less then 42k in most cases. They are losing resale value very quickly..heck i saw a guy selling his for 39k on this board!! I want a 2002, but may find myself looking for a used one later on.....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts