Corvette Z06 Forum banner

What's The Best Headlight Option With Euro Lenses?

• Factory Wattage

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Factory Wattage Kit With & Piaa Extreme White Bulbs

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • High Wattage Kit

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • HID Conversion Kit

Votes: 20 60.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to get the T-84 Euro headlights, but can't decide if I should get the high wattage kit with Piaa bulbs or the factory wattage kit but use Piaa #15260 55/60W bulbs?
Is there really a big difference between these two options?

Is these HID kits really that much better for the bigger investment?

I don't plan on a lot of night driving but when I do I want to be able to see good without getting eye strain from poor lighting.

Heres my choices,
1)Factory wattage
2)Factory wattage with Piaa 15260 Bulbs or any other recommendations.
3)High wattage kit
4)Go with HID(I presume a factory wattage kit to be used with a HID conversion)

Whats your thoughts and experiences?

Thanks for any and all info.

Doug :cheers:

·
Registered
881 Posts
I have the high wattage kit on the Euro lights, so your option 3).

The low beams are very good and the high beams are great. The comparison to stock is not a comparison at all. Now there are lights - before there were none.

Can't really comment on your other options as I have not done them. However, I am curious to know more about the HID option. Is that on the DOT or Euro housings? Does the HID kit have both High and Low beams and how is that done?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have T-84 plus HID. No high beams now but I don't see I need them anymore. As a matter of fact, I don't turn on the PIAA 1100 fog lights at all now as they look yellowish when compared with the HID :thumb:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey FRC Tom, :)

I didn't know there was a limit on the size for posting pictures. That won't happen again. Sorry about that.

GB.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I thought the forum always auto-resized?

Oh well. No way I'm editing all my photos just for this new rule....guess I'll just not be able to share them.

I understand the sig size rule...but I think this will just discourage us from posting illustrations. :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the T-84s with a high/low beam H4 HID kit. The outcome is absolutely amazing. The road is lit up completely and much further in front of you than the stock headlamps with sylvania silverstars ever did. The only issue that I'm having is that when I turn the headlamp control to the off position, the headlights remain up and on, but upon turning the brights on with the headlamp control off, the headlamps go down and turn off just fine. I'm trying to figure this out and think that it might just be a bad high/low beam controller despite the high and low beams working fine otherwise. Anyways, it wasn't a big deal to install, very easy, maybe 5 hours total for the headlamps and HID conversion and you won't ever regret it.

·
Z06 Master
2,627 Posts
jbierce said:
I have the T-84s with a high/low beam H4 HID kit. The only issue that I'm having is that when I turn the headlamp control to the off position, the headlights remain up and on, but upon turning the brights on with the headlamp control off, the headlamps go down and turn off just fine. I'm trying to figure this out and think that it might just be a bad high/low beam controller despite the high and low beams working fine otherwise.
I had this problem too. I tried HIDs in the stock lenses, but the light pattern was awful. I sold the HIDs and now I'm using just the T-84s. I figured this is the only way to get improved lighting without having to switch to high beams before turning the lights off. The problem with the headlights remaining up or partially closed will happen on any C5 using HIDs. There's nothing wrong with your controller. My guess is the difference in resistance between the HID ballasts and the halogen bulbs is too great and the controller thinks there's a bulb burned out or an open in the circuit. When I switched back to halogen bulbs everything has been working OK.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Does anyone have pics of the stock beam pattern for the C5 headlights? (projected against a wall 30-40 ft away) Why I ask is that most factory halogen headlights don't control light output very well and will blind other drivers if the bulbs are simply swapped out for an HID "conversion" kit.

If you're interested in going to an HID lighting system PLEASE take the time/expense and do a proper RETROFIT using OEM parts from an HID equipped car. This usually means using a projector style headlight. Then make sure you aim them properly!

The NHTSA is conducting studies right now looking at the possibility of BANNING all HID lighting from vehicles sold in North America based on public complaints. What the public is most likely complaining about are not factory OEM HID systems, but people who replace their factory Halogen bulbs with higher wattage versions or HID "coversion kits". OEM HID systems rarely blind oncoming traffic, although there are a few exceptions where the factory systems are aimed too high. Most now have leveling systems to maintain the proper height during various vehicle loading scenarios.

GranBichus has an OEM style retrofit done very nicely! What was involved in getting the headlight doors to only open partially? I just bought my '02 Z06 and haven't even gotten it on the road yet, let alone had a chance to investigate an HID retrofit...

·
10,998 Posts
Euro lenses with the High wattage PIAA H4 bulbs, 95/135w. They do the job for me. I also put in the PIAA fog lights 1100x kit.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i got the Banks Performance 6000K HID conversion kit and with my stock housings the improvement is amazing. Once lined up correctly its perfect for night driving without blinding oncoming traffic or people youre following.

Dave

·
Registered
125 Posts
People that got the HIDs, did you rewire it so that your HID low beams stay on when you turn on your brights?

HIDs are nice and all but when you're on a deserted road, the high beams make a difference in going a little further.

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Last year I went to the Euro glass bucket with a PIAA H-4. But I found a HID hi/low conversion kit. Yes it has both beams.
Just haven't quite gotten around to installing it yet. But I've see the results on other C5's and there is no comparison. Can't wait to see at night!!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
133 Posts
since ive installed my HID's i still have yet to use my high beams. Ill have to try them out tonight. I still dont think they will be anywhere near as bright as the HID's.

Dave

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
mjustmike said:
Last year I went to the Euro glass bucket with a PIAA H-4. But I found a HID hi/low conversion kit. Yes it has both beams.
Just haven't quite gotten around to installing it yet. But I've see the results on other C5's and there is no comparison. Can't wait to see at night!!!! :thumb:
Someone enlighten me...please.

Don't HID's need a PROJECTOR LENS? If that's true, how in the world do you make T-84's into HID's???

Charlie

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have never heard of T-84s, but I just added Sylviania SilverStars both low beam and high beam and they are awesome.

The lighting lights up A LOT more of the road and the color is close to HID

1 - 20 of 21 Posts