Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've caught the roadracing bug and need some advice from you guys. Any and all is appriciated. I am thinking that I need oil and transmission coolers, T1 suspension ... maybe a seat with 5 points, definately tires. Let me know what you think is the best route for me to take; used vs. new, etc.
Thanks! :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Go in steps.

You'll need and oil cooler to run fast for any length of time. I'd get that first. As your seat time increases, get a good seat and 6 points belts.

Then assess your needs at that point.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
This is actually a very complicated question, probably with many "right" answers. I would ask, what is your long term goal? When I bought by Z06 in Aug 01, I knew I wanted to run driver's education events, but also had my eye on SCCA T1 competition. Thus, I joined the SCCA (actually before I bought the Z06) and got the rule book. All my mods were in compliance with the SCCA T1 rules so I didn't waste any money and my eventual T1 prep in Jan 03 was already about 25% done.

If you only plan on DE's, I would get a used Z06, and mod it in steps. You don't really need to do anything to go to a DE other than a few simple maintenance items. Run a DE or two and see where your personal weak areas are and work on them.

Mods to consider and roughly in order of how I would do them:
- More aggressive alignment
- Fire extinguisher mount and extinguisher
- Track brake fluid (I use and recommend Wilwood EXP 600 Plus - this isn't a stock fluid)
- Track pads (I use and recommend the Carbotech line)
- Roll bar, five point harness and racing seat (as a note, a roll bar will offer no side impact protection). Going along with this, I'd get a HANS device. I'd also seriously consider a seat with side impact protection for the head as the HANS device doesn't protect from side impact such as the Cobra Evolution seat. This is not an easy issue as figuring out which seat fits, how to mount it, how to mount the harness are all tough questions with many different answers.
- Track Wheels and tires
- Oil cooler (several good kits on the market)
- T1 sway bars, shocks and leaf springs
- Tranny cooler

Good luck deciding. :cheers:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts