Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first Z about 2 weeks ago. 2002 eb Z06 7,500 mi.
I love the car but I already need more power. Ive been looking at twin turbo kits but I just wanted some input on what is the best. I only have about 15k to spend. I also want to know all the brands that are available and a good shop in my area for tuning. San Francisco bay area
Thanks for any input

·
Registered
971 Posts
Options very limited in Northern Cal.
See my post on the Northern Cal meet.

I would recommend MSI in Roseville for a Magnussen setup.
TT, cannot do any well for under 35k.
916-784-2323

·
Registered
200 Posts
Grim Reaper said:
TT, cannot do any well for under 35k.
Maybe that's what LPE/21MC want everyone to believe, however, that is simply not the case. You can do a turn-key TTi package for a 1/3 of that.

Mark

·
Registered
971 Posts
mdhmi,

I was not making reference to just LPE, but Cartek, Vette Doctors and the Haltech's kits(six) which are well engineered, done in a timely fashion and have a reputation for delivering product to market..

I far I am concerned, the others are completely unproven over time. This is a pure fact. Most of the other companies that produce a turbo kit, can't deliver or much less make it work. I would not touch a base TTi kit if you gave to me to put it on my car...There will be dozens of problems yet to come...Lingenfelter went through them for their product development over years. In any case, it would in the end cost you lot more than you think for even a TTi. Wait, see what problems arise. They will come.

It has taken about four years for the Prochager cars to become semi-reliable. There was a gigantic learning curve and many wasted motors and money. I know of at least a dozen blown(toasted) motors on Prochargers over the last four years. This is with a lot vendors doing product development on similar setups.

GR

·
Registered
200 Posts
Haltech doesn't even sell a kit anymore. How many kits have Cartek and the Vette Doctors put out? I personally know people who have had their TTi kits for 2-3 years and are extremely satisfied.

Mark

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
With 15G's to spent you need to go in a different direction IMO. Heads, Cam, Blower, forged bottom end etc. If you insist on TT, the Lingenfelter is the only way to go and those prices start at 25G's and go up from there. :z:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
kileeman said:
I got my first Z about 2 weeks ago. 2002 eb Z06 7,500 mi.
I love the car but I already need more power. Ive been looking at twin turbo kits but I just wanted some input on what is the best. I only have about 15k to spend. I also want to know all the brands that are available and a good shop in my area for tuning. San Francisco bay area
Thanks for any input

WOWW :eek: 2 weeks and already need more power then a 3100lb car with 405+ hp? what kinda of car did you have before this one? Either way $15k should make it a bigger monster then it already is. :guiness:

·
Registered
971 Posts
Mark,

Halltech put out six kits. Jim Hall has cancer.

As far Cartek/Vette Doctors. They have their chit together and implement their ideas into proven projects over and over again. Further, they get it done. The Vette doctors were previous Gm Master mechanics. They have both produced one kit, 1016 rwhp on a 346(Cartek) and the Vette Doctors(C5R427), I expect will do 1,200-1,600 rwhp.

As far as TTi, still would not touch it. Will watch and wait for multiple results. Self-admitely, I believe they put the turbos in the very best spot with this kit and it looks very well designed. Tell them to get a CARB approval, I will be all over it.

The Intercooled Magnussen is CARB approved, is totally reliable and will produce boost off the line(very important is S.F.). The Kenne Bell looks very promissing as, but it is not done and will have to go through Q/A as well.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm aware of Jim's medical situation. I wasn't implying that his kit is no longer being sold as evidence that the kit wasn't good, but, rather to point out that the kit is no longer an option for someone who wants to purchase a new kit.

I'm familiar with what Cartek and The VD's have done.. Very impressive. My point was that there are very few customer cars on the roads with their kits. That's all.

AFAIK, none of the TT kits on the market have CARB approval, including LPE.

As for the KB blower, that's far from being a reality - they are still in the development phase.

Cheers,

Mark

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
mdhmi said:
As for the KB blower, that's far from being a reality - they are still in the development phase.

Cheers,

Mark
Yep...and if they keep having lock up problems like many of the Lightning and Cobra owners are experiencing, I wouldn't touch one of those. Unfortunately, their reliability has come into question lately.

Now if Whipple would get a kit out (same blower that's on the Ford GT), _that_ would be sweet.

I believe LPE/21CMC is having a sale on the Stage 1 TT setup which will get you 520+rwhp and superb reliability. I don't think its as low as $15k, but its below $20k, I know that.

Grim Reaper has a great suggestion...I/C Magnacharger and put the rest of the cash into savings for tires, tires, and more tires. Maybe get a nice set of aftermarket wheels and upgrade the brakes. :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
The LPE web site is currently not accessable.

Per 21MC's site the 550 *BHP* package is $23K.

Mark

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
Their *bhp* numbers are very, very conservative. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts