Corvette Z06 Forum banner

What's the HP limit on production cars under $100k, like the C6 Zee?

• We're currently at the ceiling, with ~500HP.

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • 600 HP

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • 700 HP

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • 800 HP

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Over 800 HP

Votes: 4 10.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember about 10 or so years ago, 350HP was considered very fast for a production car, unless you were spending over $100k...the thought of a 500HP mainstream production car under $100k was pretty much unheard of. Very few autos even had over 250HP back then...now it seems like a lot of "ordinary" cars are packing 250+ HP, like the new Subaru Legacy.

Well, my main question is this: what do you think the ceiling for production car HP (generally under $100k) is??

Do you think we're near the limit now with the New Viper, and C6 Z06 with ~500HP? Something tells me 750HP will pretty much be the ceiling... I think the next Z06 will have about ~625HP, and the C8 Z06 will boast ~750HP. I'm pretty sure Dodge will stay neck and neck throughout, with their power progressions of the deadly Viper...

:cheers:

·
Registered
403 Posts
HP doesn't always go up. There was a time that it went down with gas shortages. Real shortages or not, our uncle sam just may request that things be backed down. The C8 could be battery powered for all we know. I hope not, but you never know.

As far as them going up much further than they are now, I doubt it anyway. We can't use our cars HP now for the most part unless you are racing. Why would they produce 750 HP cars? Don't get me wrong, I've love to buy a car under $100K that had that much, I just don't see that as practical for cars in that price range.

·
21,355 Posts
I really think we're at the upper end of practicality. Instead of more hp, the car manufacturers should concentrate their energies on refinement of the total package.

·
Premium Member
9,755 Posts
jub jub said:
I really think we're at the upper end of practicality. Instead of more hp, the car manufacturers should concentrate their energies on refinement of the total package.
Good point Jub. Imagine if they start using higher-tech materials to add strength/rigidity, and lightness. Was it Colin Chapman who always said "add lightness" ?? With less weight, it would be like getting a horsepower boost with no gas mileage penalty. There might also be upgrades to the interior too by using other types of materials.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I hit the wrong tab, I wanted to say the 600 range. OOPS

·
Registered
878 Posts
after about 12k miles on the rear tires-horsepower becomes kinda "relative"..most on this forum know what i mean :zboobie:

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Z06 Rocket said:
I remember about 10 or so years ago, 350HP was considered very fast for a production car, unless you were spending over $100k
Hmm...
I can remember buying 435hp Vette for ~$6k :lol:

Anyway, I agree with Jub in that I'd like to see manufacturers concentrate on better transmissions and handling. I'm not implying that the Vette doesn't handle well - it does - but I would like to see a some more advanced features like dynamic or controllable ride height adjustments etc.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was also thinking, perhaps significant advancements in engine technology will arise in the next 10 or so years... since fuel cell technology is knocking at our front doors already, but currently it's just so weak. Maybe in ~10 years (or less), a cheaper, much more robust energy system will be developed, making it possible to squeeze huge amounts of HP out of a relatively smaller, cheaper, & LIGHTER engine. Some kind of radical ultra fuel cell technology. Yeah, it's probably every racer and sports car enthusiast's dream - getting more HP for less $$, AND shedding some weight in the process.
It may seem far off, but I feel like that big breakthrough in engine technology is coming within the next 10-15 years. Then it would be much more feasible to have a 700HP+ production car for under $100k (keep in mind, adjusted for inflation, in 10-15 years 100k might be $115k+).

You say it won't happen, or that it isn't possible... well, 10-15 years ago, if you told someone a 500HP production car would be developed and sold for well under $100K, they would have called you insane. Basically, you never know what advancements the future will bring. I may not be that old, but I've learned to never say never. ;)

:cheers:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
jub jub said:
Look back at this thread in 6 or 7 years and you will laugh at that statement.
82 5.0 Mustang had 167 HP
88 Corvette had 245 HP
AA/FD had 1000HP in the early 80 eighties, they are 7000 plus HP.

As Horsepower has increased so has the refinement in everything else.
Active handling and Traction Control just to name a few.
The Feds, insurance and Fuel costs are what could be barriers. :cheers:

·
21,355 Posts
IT L GO said:
Look back at this thread in 6 or 7 years and you will laugh at that statement.
82 5.0 Mustang had 167 HP
88 Corvette had 245 HP
AA/FD had 1000HP in the early 80 eighties, they are 7000 plus HP.

As Horsepower has increased so has the refinement in everything else.
Active handling and Traction Control just to name a few.
The Feds, insurance and Fuel costs are what could be barriers. :cheers:
Maybe, but why build any bigger than 500 hp, 600 at the most? Don't you think there is a limit to how much HP you can put to the ground? Manufactuers are already having to use traction control to limit HP as it is, and that is with only 405 HP! I might be wrong, I just don't ever see mainstream autos going over 600.

In the case of the Corvette, I would like to R&D money go to better suspension and brakes, but that's just me!

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
jub jub said:
Maybe, but why build any bigger than 500 hp, 600 at the most? Don't you think there is a limit to how much HP you can put to the ground? Manufactuers are already having to use traction control to limit HP as it is, and that is with only 405 HP! I might be wrong, I just don't ever see mainstream autos going over 600.

In the case of the Corvette, I would like to R&D money go to better suspension and brakes, but that's just me!
The manufacturers pretty well builds what the consumer(s) wants. Whatever direction the wind blows so goes the manufacturer. :cheers:

·
Registered
176 Posts
jub jub said:

Couldnt agree more.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
jub jub said:

I disagree, here we have our 405hp, 10 years ago if you built up to 400hp car it wouldnt put half that power down because of suspension, tires ect. If you add 100hp to the current z06 putting down the power will be way more difficult, but now the new Z06 has 500hp and Im sure It will put down the power as good if not better then the current Z06, why? because its a package, and companies can build a package to work together with its power ect, and also technolody advances, so if 500hp isnt a problem, I dont see why 600, 700hp would be such a struggle :coo:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hovercraft. Thats about the limit.

Maybe even trans-dimensional craft.

Until then THERE IS NO LIMIT. There will only be limited numbers representitive of those select few who can afford to purchase the supercars, much like today.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
jub jub said:
Maybe, but why build any bigger than 500 hp, 600 at the most? Don't you think there is a limit to how much HP you can put to the ground?
Here are two reasons:

(1) AWD, and,

(2) 12,000 ft density altitude on several roads within a day's drive of my house in the summertime. A C5 Z06 feels downright lethargic up there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts