Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having previously owned a 96 LT4, just recently moved up to an '02 Z06 and have noticed a mechanical clicking sound from 2000 to maybe 2800 RPM when the windows are closed. When the windows are open, or standing over the engine you cannot hear it. I am sure this is not a valve tap or valve spring float. Could it be injectors? Or fuel pump? Have also heard it in other people's Z06's. Is this normal? And what is it? Any thoughts, ideas, or checks?

Jack

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Welcome aboard the Good Ship Z06 :z: :z:

When you hear the noise is the car in gear with the clutch depressed or in neutral with the clutch out?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Probably, it's the infamous "LS6 tap".

I think it's fuel injectors, since on my car it's load dependent, you don't hear it in neutral. Lifters don't "know" how much load is on the motor, so they'd tap even when the car was standing still. And I know it's not the driveline since all that stuff, flywheel right back to the tranny has been replaced and it had no effect on the noise.

Though the shifter has been known to rattle at certain loads (and that's the one thing I haven't reworked yet).

Whatever it is, mine's done it since new and it's got 47K on it now with no signs of any imminent failure (famous last words).

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Injectors are the most likely culprit.

Other sources can be:
- intake manifold resonance
- infamous exhaust "jingle"
- E brake or shifter lever rattle
- ash tray / cup holder lid rattle
- dashboard surround rattle
- Power Tunnel noise resoannce and transmission (especially with aftermarket shifter)
- Power shaft whip (only with severe load)
- Power Shaft Coupler defect (plastic can easily crack)
- Gas Line / Fuel Pump harmonics

Can also be more serious such as
- lifter noise
- bent push rod
- rocker arm
- valve

·
Registered
281 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 2003. I had just had the wheels balanced and one of the stick on weights inside the front passenger rim was touching my brand new wilwwod braided brake line :eek2:

Driving the car, I could understand what was causing the problem as obviously when the car was stopped it didn't make the noise!

Found out when I got home and was about to park the car in the garage and the brake pedal went soft and there was brake fluid all over the place :eek2: :eek2:

If you have sticky weights inside the rims check they are not touching one of the brake lines...............

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Welcome to :z:, Jack!
I think I know you :sneaky:
I don't have any suggestions ... I think your Z is all stock, if that adds anything for the above respondents ... they are on top of their game in diagnostics ...
Now I'll be listening for strange noises all the way to BG next week!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts