Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be re-packing the front wheel bearings prior to a DE. I was planning to use the Bell Ray stuff I have used in my trucks for years. I will be putting Carbotech pads on and got to thinking about elevated temperatures, drop points and the like. Is there a preferred grease or am I just thinking too much again - my wife calls me the king of overkill - but then she does not read this forum :ity:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, that's what happens when you ask a question without ever lifting the vehicle. :blush:

So just leave them alone until the wheel fall off or the seize to the spindle - and then the wheel falls off ;).

But seriously folks, how do you check the health of the bearings to avoid three wheeling at 150 mph?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
DJWorm said:
Change them every year as annual Winter maintainance for tracked cars.

Check them before each event.
As DJ said, they wear out in about a year of hard track use. With the car up if you can feel a wobble in the wheel with it torqued down, they probably should be replaced.

But, not to worry, they won't fall off or seize if run past this. You just get more and more play in them. At some point it will start to impact your handling. When I can feel the play in the bearing, I can't tell on the track that there is a problem with the handling yet. :cheers:

·
Registered
350 Posts
You can also get ABS errors (along with TCS and AH) because the bearing is no longer sending good info to the computer. I will normally hear that tell-tale roar coming from a particular corner too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts