Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, "AH/service engine soon" kept coming on, so I took the vette into the dealer and whataya know, the wheel sensor needs to be replaced.

I am at 50K miles, anyone else have this go out? GM tech response was that when the "suspension is challenged" it will go out sooner than normal....hummm didn't mention to them I do HPDE's:rofl: but my dealer knows of course.

Thank you extended warranty:thumb:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I dont think you have ever challenged your suspension have you Leslie :rofl: :rofl:

I should have bumper stickers made up that say "Have you challenged your suspension today?"

:z:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi, Leslie.

Is this something I can look forward to? I only have about half the miles you do, but (as you know) do challenge the suspension a bit. The bad thing - I don't have an extended warranty. :eyes:

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeh I RARELY challenge my suspension-I like the idea of the sticker hahaha wonder if I could come up with a vanity plate?

well GM tech says yes, it will eventually go out if you push it enough-I have done about oh 15 DE's in the last 2 yrs. I don't know what it cost, it wasn't on my receipt-but the labor time was a lot-they had me leave the car and I usually wait for things that take 2-4 hrs.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Sorry, but what you heard from the GM tech sounds like BS to me!! Why should the wheel sensor know or care how much the suspension is "challenged" ? My experience is that heat and vibration are the two things that would cause sensors to fail prematurely. So, if you are racing the car and getting things really really hot, that may be a factor. I would think that vibration is more a matter of the types of roads you drive on. JM2c. :usa:

·
Registered
131 Posts
shouldn't take that long to install either...it's just a simple unplug and replace type deal(from my experience w/ other cars at least) they probably had you leave it since it was under warranty and wanted to put it off till the end of the day, i could be wrong, but that's just my $.02

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
the A/H was coming on and off throughout last yr, probably once or twice a month, then progressively got worse. I could still drive the car, it just was concerning to drive it with the "check engine" light on.

makes sense about the install time, I would think all they had to do was pull off the wheel. Nevertheless, I just paid my $100 deductible

the heat makes sense-here's the GM response:

"The most common culprit with front speed sensor codes are faulty (intermittent open circuit) front wheel speed sensor jumper harnesses that mount to the lower control arms and connect to the front speed sensors.Over time these harnesses get open circuits due to stress from suspension travel.GM has even updated these harnesses by making them thicker,I would replace them,about $40 each.Stainless steel brake lines will also interupt the AC voltage signal passing through these harnesses."

·
Registered
881 Posts
blkZ06 said:
the A/H was coming on and off throughout last yr, probably once or twice a month, then progressively got worse. I could still drive the car, it just was concerning to drive it with the "check engine" light on.

makes sense about the install time, I would think all they had to do was pull off the wheel. Nevertheless, I just paid my $100 deductible

the heat makes sense-here's the GM response:

"The most common culprit with front speed sensor codes are faulty (intermittent open circuit) front wheel speed sensor jumper harnesses that mount to the lower control arms and connect to the front speed sensors.Over time these harnesses get open circuits due to stress from suspension travel.GM has even updated these harnesses by making them thicker,I would replace them,about $40 each.Stainless steel brake lines will also interupt the AC voltage signal passing through these harnesses."
I can believe that. I just had mine up and did some re-routing of that harness on one side because it was hanging below the lower control arm. The routing and retention leave a bit to be desired. But, I would still think the mileage at which it fails has more to do with how rough your roads are than how hard you drive it except that if you track the car then excessive brake heat will accelerate the failure.

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RalphP-I am thinking it has to be the mileage and tracking the vette, the roads in WV are gorgeous!

·
Registered
881 Posts
blkZ06 said:
RalphP-I am thinking it has to be the mileage and tracking the vette, the roads in WV are gorgeous!
Cool: Lucky you for all three and well worth it if all you have to do is replace a sensor once in a while! :cheers:

I have had my car 1.5 years, don't drive it enough and never been to a track. However, this year I joined a local team and I'm going bracket racing (mostly for fun since I doubt I will be competitive). I'm really looking forward to that and who knows what will be next!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts