Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a set of four 17x11 CCWs with a 48mm offset be good DE set-up for a stock Zo6 lowered on the factory bolts? What size tires would you run on these?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bob said:
Would a set of four 17x11 CCWs with a 48mm offset be good DE set-up for a stock Zo6 lowered on the factory bolts? What size tires would you run on these?
ttt

·
Registered
350 Posts
I don't know about the offsets, but the 11" wide rims in front is probably too much. The hot set up in T1 is to use 10" rims in front and 11" in back. I run 275s up front and 315s on back - Kumho V710s. The car is perfectly balanced with that combo. Some of the other guys are using 315s up front, but that tends to make the car too loose later on in the race. There's also wind and drag (rolling resistance) issues with the bigger tires on front that aren't overcome by the extra rubber up there.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The T1 sizes are not really a hot set up but rather a limiting set up. In fact the 10" front using 315's reduces the 315's effectiveness.

If you are not bound by the T1 rules you can do better.

I recommend:
305/30x18 on 10.5x18 with +0.25" offset for the front and
315/35x17 on 11x17 with +0.25" offset in the rear.

This neutralizes the handling, increases front grip, increases front turn in, decreases braking distance, increases front steering response and modulation, reduces understeer and stabilizes the flex of the front side wall.
It also increases rear traction under hard acceleration and cornering allowing the car to "squat" better.
This results in higher corner entry speeds, mid corner speed and corner exit speed.

·
Registered
350 Posts
DJWorm said:
The T1 sizes are not really a hot set up but rather a limiting set up.
True, but since all of us guys are using 17x10F and 17x11R, everybody else can buy cheap knock offs and run all year long on a shoe-string budget and get more track time...and all the tire/wheel dealers have those sizes!!!!! :D Plus the fact the T1 combination is race tested and proven (year after year) to be ultra quick and reliable.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Hoosier and Kuhmo have tons of DOT slicks in the 315x17 size as does Goodyear in both DOT and - 19 Sports Car Special R slicks.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am still trying to find an economical solution for a set of good wheels and tires for DEs. Would I really be at significant risk of wheel failure if I purchased a set of stock rims and mounted Pilot Sport Cups or Nitto RIIs? A CCW set-up with true R compound tires is just out of my league.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Bob, you will find that the car and your skills will soon outpace the capabilities of either the Michelin's or the Nitto's on the track. You will then need DOT A/R's or true R's and then will have to relearn the track handling all over again. Besides the Michelin's are like $450 a piece where as the Hoosiers are $950 a set of 4. Why wear out expensive street tires on the track prematurely and not have all the performance a track tire delivers??

I do not recommend the OEM type wheels due to failures I have seen on the track.

You are much better off getting a set of track wheels (CCW's) and shodding them with Kuhmo 710's or the new Hoosiers A3S05's or R3S05's.

Think of it this way, a set of 4 new CCW's at $1700 is cheaper than a set of BBS forged Magnesiums at $2,500 a piece or $10,000 a set total.

The CCW's really are a bargain... and you can always resell them later and get 3/4's of you expense back. I just sold a used set for $1,400.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts