Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best product and method to brighten up the stock wheels on a '01? Don't want the chrome look, just something less dull.

TRF

·
Registered
0 Posts
You could always have your wheels high polished and then clear coated. I think it is about $100 per wheel.

Welcome to the forum!! :cool:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Frank -- does the clear coat over the high pollish make it so that you don't have to rbu/pollish the wheels in the future to keep them bright? Otherwise, I hear that high pollish wheels are a bear to keep bright, especially for us folk in the NE where the salt the roads and whatnot (not that I take the Z in theat crap or anything)...

-Kirk

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Frank, who does the polish/clearcoat? I talked to some vendors at Carlisle and none of them did this kind of work. I did the chrome route with my ZR-1, and I have mixed feelings about doing that again + I do not want to add weight to the wheels.

If you know who does this work do you know if anyone has actually gotten whells from them and is satisfied - and do they offer this service on an exchange basis?

Sorry to ask all those questions but inquiring minds wanna know!!! :-D :-D :-D

Thanks!!

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'm looking at an Eastwood cat right now and thinking of ordering their poslish system and trying it. Looks pretty easy to do. I've used their powder coat on my door strikers, trunk latch and hood latches and love the results. I had lunch with Frank today :cheers: and he kind of hinted to me that he would of went the polish route.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Shiny wheels are OK, but personally I kind of like the 'no nonsense' finish of the Z wheels. The only thing they could have done was make it alittle lighter silver in color.

If I was going to get real shiny wheels, I would go for the polished aluminum vs. chromed.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Thanks for the thread Frank, if I go the shiny wheel route, it will definitely be polish vs chrome. The EB color almost demands polished/chromed wheels IMHO! :rolleyes:

And there ain't nuttin' that sez that I can't use these on the track - I will just look better going fast! :D :D

Lokks like another Spring project along with choosing and installing longtubes. So many decisions, so little time! :lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are a lot of acid-based aluminum mag cleaners and brighteners on the internet, but the wheels must be non-coated.

Anyone know if the stock '01 wheels are NON-COATED?

Would be great to treat them on the car instead of removing the tires and taking them in to some shop.

TRF

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are a lot of acid-based aluminum mag cleaners and brighteners on the internet, but the wheels must be non-coated.

Anyone know if the stock '01 wheels are NON-COATED?

Would be great to treat them on the car instead of removing the tires and taking them in to some shop.

TRF

G

·
www.fixrim.com will high polish and clearcoat for 109 dollars a wheel with a lifetime guarantee. They have seven locations throughout the country. They can mount and balance tires for I believe 10 dollars..(don't quote me on the mount and balance portion)

Thats what I would recommend. Put the car on jackstands and send them out. I think the freight is inexpensive as well.

Good luck

JB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts