Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It hasn't been my month...

Been considering getting drag wheels for 6 months and 2 weeks ago I heard of 18x12's from the House of Wheels. Called and talked with a representative and was told that they would fit a Z06 fine except that the brake ducts would need to be removed.

Ok - very cool I thought. After receiving the wheels, tires, and finding a place to mount them I put them on tonight. They don't fit. :headbang: They don't even come close to fitting. I'd need an extra inch at least to get them to fit. Yes, yes, everyone point your finger and laugh. :)

Now I have to figure out what to do. As I see it, here are my options.

1. Call the vendor and attempt to get a refund or exchange. Cons: dealing with shipping, $600 loss on tires, still no sticky tires. Pros: none.

2. Sell the wheels+tires. Cons: time, dealing with shipping, potential $600 loss on deal, still no sticky tires. Pros: don't have to deal with vendor.

3. Buy a mini tub kit from lingenfelter. Cons: install, $1000 cost (not loss), cutting big holes in my beautiful car. Pros: Big sticky tires under my car. Another cool mod.

4. Suck it up and be thankful I have two awesome huge paperweights. Drive to Florida and kill vendor. Feed body to alligator to hide evidence. Cons: straight $1200 loss, still no sticky tires, possible legal issues, alligators smell bad. Pros: I can hold down a huge freaking stack of papers.

Argh -- what the heck should I do?

John.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Sorry for the misinformation you got from the vendor. I'd be calling them back and telling them you were told they would fit, less the duct and they dont. Ask them what they plan to do to help you out. If they are a stand up shop they should give you a refund and pay the shipping back. DEMAND CUSTOMER SERVICE!! That's what I would do. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
If it's one of our vendors here I'm sure you will have no problem returning the rims with a reasonable re-stocking fee. :z:

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Demand a full refund. Or an exchange for wheels that fit on their dime. You should not have to pay for anything extra. This is the sales rep's fault, not yours. Tell them about this forum and demand to go up the totem poll until you get someone that will give you what you deserve.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Cave Man said:
If it's one of our vendors here I'm sure you will have no problem returning the rims with a reasonable re-stocking fee. :z:
This is not my problem but, if the vendor told him they would fit, and they indeed wont, that's the vendor's incompetence. Why then should a re-stocking fee apply?

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Some guys in here are running 18x12 with no problem and not tubs.... what tires are you using? What wheels did you get? Need more info.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The tires are BFG drag radials 345/30/18 and the rims have 18x12JJ ET58 stamped on them. Maybe they sent me rims with the wrong offset. I guess I've calmed down enough to think rationally. LOL.

If the stock rims are 10.5 inches and have a 58mm offset, that means these stick out 1.5 inches farther into the car. And since the tires bulge out slightly more than F1's -- there's no way these could fit.

On the hand, this forum suprised me -- I was expecting (secretly wishing) to get "Go for the mini-tub" mod option! LOL.

John

·
Registered
43 Posts
as you wish GO FOR THE MINI-TUBlol:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I don't know what wheels/tires should fit and what shouldn't, but the vendor sure should. Rather than assume that you'll have a fight on your hands with the vendor, maybe you could calmly call them to confirm that you got the correct/incorrect wheel. It could have been a simply error on the vendor's part, and they may feel terrible about it and work to correct the situation right away.

If they DO put up a fight, and after assuring you that the wheels will fit, then you can look to your other options for a better course of action. But, I'd be inclined to see if you were simply sent the wrong wheels by accident.

You never know. :)

Good luck!

-Kirk

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have Fikse 18x12s and these are the specs directly from the build sheet. I am also mini-tubbed. All of the tire is inside the wheel well.

Rear = 12.0 X 18, +76mm offset.
Tires: 335/30ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport.

Good luck.

JWz06.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
That's a huge tire. I've never heard of anyone fitting a 345 without a tub in here. Should have checked in here first, these people would know more than a rim salesman. With that rim you should be able to fit a 335 Michelin PS without an issue, unless they sent you the wrong offset.

·
Registered
999 Posts
The biggest set up I've heard of on 18" wheels w/out tubbing is 18x11 with 315/30/18s. Even with this the inner side wall of the tire (on the cars I've seen) showed rubbing on the stock fender liners. The tire also stuck out of the wheel well by a 1/8-1/4" and you have to remove the air ducts.

JWz06.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi guys,

Just talked with the vendor. He assured me they only sell one offset in that size and that they will fit. After more discussion, he asked what tire I put on them. When I told him, he said "oh -- those won't fit, you need a 335." Having had the wheels on the vehicle, I still doubt that will work and I don't want to go to a 315 drag radial and write off the 345's. And it sure would have been nice to have heard that when I originally inquired about the rims.

In fairness to the vendor, he did ask me to let him call me back in one minute so that I could tape record him saying "If the rims don't fit, you can have them for free". That made me chuckle.

I've all but decided to go with a mini-tub anyway. I have a corvette club speed event next week and there might be someone who has experience with mini-tubbing / fiberglass work or knows someone who does.

Special apologies to ITLGO, whose advice in the other big tire thread I ignored...

John.

EDIT: Mike -- it is a huge tire...muahahahahaha. :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Put em up for sale on "the other site" and INSIST they will fit the Z06. :D

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
John Youngblood said:
Put em up for sale on "the other site" and INSIST they will fit the Z06. :D
:rofl:

Why not put them up on a Viper site and tell them they will fit--they probably will....

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
I am planning on minitubbing my car at some point. If the offset is enough to allow the outside sidewall of the tire to be flush with the fenderwell, I may buy them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts