Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Lots of folks have lots of opinions on the '01 Z06 wheels -- and many of them tend to be on the negative side.

Anyone else really LIKE the '01 wheels? Hell, I think they're great! Now, I also have an MY Z06, and I think that the body color might help make/break the wheels (or vice-versa) on the Z (and I think the dark wheels go well against the light body).

It will be very interesting to see what the supposedly-redesigned-for-'02 wheels will look like. We all know that GM can screw up Corvette wheels (just look at the super-bland '97 wheels) -- I just happen to feel that they hit the mark well with the '01 Z06 ones.

-Kirk

------------------
2001 Z06
MY w/Black
Memory, Mirrors, Mats, and Moldings!

·
Registered
601 Posts
I LIKE the Z06 wheels just the way they are. They make the car look BAD and they don't show the brake dust. Plus they distinguish the Z from the other C5's. If anybody doesn't like theirs, just put them in a box and send them to me.

------------------

2001 Torch Red Z06, lowered 1", flat K&N air filter and removed front section of air box, C3 black chrome shift knob, 2.2k ohm resistor to kill CAGS, Z06 floor and cargo mats, chrome acrylic Corvette lettering front and rear, steering wheel decal.

!967 convertible, 427/435hp, triple black

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm happy with 'em, too.

------------------
jwight NCM #7711
2001 Z06, Millennium Yellow, fuzzy dice,radar detector
and Lloyd mats [B34,V49,DD0,AAB & 79U]
Kettering, OH
"385 hp - one camshaft"

·
Registered
0 Posts
Everybodys opinions will very. It a personal taste issue.

I really like the design.
But I hated the grey wheels on my Quicksilver Z. So I got a set of chromies and now I love them. To me, it really brightened up the car.

Now I did like the grey wheels on Sherylann's Z and tried to talk her into keeping it stock, but alas she too hated the grey wheels. I thought the grey wheels made the Black Z look wicked!!

D

·
0 Posts
Hey it's like 36c blond 36c brunette etc....sure look good to me
Dennis

------------------
z06-zr1

·
Registered
496 Posts
I was really looking the car over this weekend and have come to the conclusion that the wheels make the Z06 look like the exotics of the 60's and 70's. I've always liked them and would not want to change them. I haven't seen a wheel that I think would make the car look any better except maybe chrome for car shows, although I wouldn't want the chrome on the car all the time.

------------------
SSPORT IT UP!!!

2001 Corvette Z06 SS

E-Mail: [email protected]
National Corvette Museum Member #4641
2001 Speeday White Z06 Corvette SS
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

·
Registered
219 Posts
I like the stock wheels. They have a no nonsense look. They remind me of the ZR1 race package with the LT-1 engine in a 71-72 Stingray. Those wheels were a plain aluminum wheel with no covers to save weight. When you saw that car with those wheels, you knew for sure what the car was for and all about. BTW - GM only made about 50 or so of them - much more rare then a 63 Z06. They also made a few ZR2s ( big block version ).

------------------
QS/Black - Stock Z06
99 Z28
70 LT-1 T-Top
70 Z28 RS
Amish Buggy (1 H.P.)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I like them. They look good on my black Z, give it a racing look. They emphasize the red brake calipers and hide the brake dust fairly well.

------------------
-derek Z06 Black/Mod.Torch

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I like the '01 Z06 wheels. Nice sharp lines, looks agressive and stylish... 10-spoke seem to be the in thing. They are also, gm claims, their lightest wheel for the Vette and they are lighter than most aftermarket wheels out there that I've checked.

The color has also been a plus cause it does hide the brake dust. I have a co-worker with a '01 coupe with the chrome rims and they look dirty all the time.

When they first came out, I thought that they'd look cool chromed and Frank proved me right when I finally saw a pic on the forum chromed. I think polished would look cool too.

I'm really thinking is that if I had another set of '01 rims or scratched my own... POWDER COATED BLACK '01 RIMS!!! On a lowered Quicksilver Z and dark tint, that would be a mean looking ride

Don
QSZ06

------------------

·
Registered
764 Posts
I have had ixed emotions on the current Z06 wheels. At first, I thought I would have prefered poished aluminum, but now I relly grown to like them!

I agree that a change in wheels for 02 could result in something much worse than the current wheel.

------------------

Black/Black Z06
Xtreme Z06 rolled exhaust plate.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I like the design of the Z06 wheels but the color is a little too drab for my liking with the Torch Red exterior color. The Torch Red and chrome Z06 wheels however is a powerful combination and I am planning on the change in a couple of weeks.
Probably means I'll be wearing dark glasses more often once I make the change

Bob

------------------
2001 Torch Red/Mod TR Z06

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1520566&a=11496079
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1520566&a=11746422
Zaino,CAGS defeat,Lloyds Z06 front/cargo mats,CAU decals,Z06 exhaust plate,Valentine 1/remote,BP Al Gas Pedal,power antenna,Dynamat Super interior,K&N air filter/open stock cover,Z06 TR Vette Rest,A&A frame savers;DS Trunk Lid Insert,interior TR mods,TR painted engine compartment components.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Like dbvettez06 puts it, 36C blond or brunette is fine with me...

However, I do think the grey goes good with the red. Chrome with the black and chrome with the silver. Something else may come up, but I think it makes the car, like some of the wheels from the 60's and of course, the classic of classics, the ZR1 wheel...

------------------
Red/ModRed Z06
24Jan01

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I think I may have seen the 02' wheels, I just do not know which Vette they were for, they looked like a 7 spoke wheel design, I will be replacing the wheels on my 02' with 18's all around.

------------------
Carl V. *****Authorized Zaino Distributor*****
Huntingdon Valley, PA.** 2000 Magnetic Red Convertible **
MN6,F45,QF5,AQ9,AG2,CJ2,T96,B34,AAB,UN0,U1S,JL4,UV6,T82,N37
** Corvette Club of Delaware Valley **

www.hcvind.com
E-Mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
117 Posts
I like them.

If the brakes didn't dust so heavily I would prefer a polished aluminum look. Somewhere between the way they are now and Chrome. Chrome is just a little to flashy for me.

------------------
2001 Z06
Quicksilver
Museum Delivery
Thanks Tom Rogers
Top Speed so far 170 (at old airport)

·
Registered
906 Posts
IMHO The Z06 wheels are probably one of the best designs ever put on a performance car. The subdued medium gray has the serious look of a purpose built ultra high performance car. You don't see chrome wheels on a serious race car. (Sorry Frank!)

BTW I studied Transportation Design (car design) at the Art Center - LA (now located in Pasadena) and graduated in Industrial Design. I have been a designer for 30 years & owned many new performance cars over that time... this is the first time I've been completely happy with the stock wheels, in the stock color. My $.02

HarleyB
P.S.: I WOULD like a second set of wheels & tires: Michelins + FIKSE Black 5-spokes!

------------------
'73 Silver Roadster -gone
'89 Red Coupe -gone
'01 SLK320 Silver 6-Speed -Wife's vert/coupe
'01 Quicksilver/Black Z06 •SilverShark•
Throttle Depressed. Driver Very Happy.

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Z06 wheels are great, the color is also perfect. Ever notice they are the same color as brake dust? They are perfect for such a purpose built missle.

------------------
01 Z06-- Quicksilver, modified torch red interior, DRM long tube headers, cam, CNC heads, 11.4 to 1 compression ratio, Donaldson LS6, Corsa Indys, Euro tail lights, B&M Ripper
405 rwhp, 380 rwt Minneapolis,Mn
Ron M.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I love the wheels and everything else on my QS Z06.

Can't argue with a Transportation Design guy.

------------------
QS Z06-CAGS Eliminator, Zaino, Cover

1 - 20 of 29 Posts