Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
what is our selection.... i really would like to stick with the stock size tire, but i am not limiting you guys to that.... what are all the brands we can look at. i know of

HRE
IFORGE
CCW
EVO
RONAL
FIKSE

Let me know what i have left out... and what can be said about these brands... quality, customer service, weight, etc.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
I would suggest going 18 inch up front and 18 or 19 out back..

The 17 sizing up front are becoming a bit dated so if your going to spend the big money for new rims....

Go 18's up front.

and either 18 or 19 out back.

CCW wheels seems to have very nice 19 inch wheel packages that are very popular and quite a few styles...

$3850 with tires mounted and balanced if I remember correctly.

HTH

Thats very reasonable.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The CCW is the best bang for the buck. Very Very high quality for less than 4G's with new tires. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
msukazman said:
what is our selection.... i really would like to stick with the stock size tire, but i am not limiting you guys to that.... what are all the brands we can look at. i know of

HRE
IFORGE
CCW
EVO
RONAL

Let me know what i have left out... and what can be said about these brands... quality, customer service, weight, etc.
You forgot Fikse wheels. I have been looking at these myself. I will change to the 18's for the front next time for sure. Easier cleaning :thumb:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this all thats out there guys?..... Yep i definetly left out fiske... my mistake.

I still cant even decide if i like all chrome , black with chrome lip, or chrome lip with silver center.... i am at a loss.. right now i am leaning toward the ccw's... but dont want to go 19" all the way around.. are they making them in 18 yet?

what did you guys consider when you made your decisions.

·
Banned
809 Posts
You'll get less traction with 19's out back. If you don't like the "dated" looks of the 17's in the front, I would go 18" all around.

Talk about dated.. I wouldn't go chrome if I were you. Polish at the most, but not chrome.

Sal

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I have not changed wheel sizes yet, but if I decide to go for major power upgrades, I will likely have to. What would I consider? Well, the things to consider would be somewhat unique to each of us depending on our priorities. Some things to consider (some of them are mutually exclusive):

Weight - very important to keep unsprung weight as low as possible if performance and using your car in DEs/autox, etc is part of your plan. Less weight + more $$$. Your stock wheels are already pretty light.

Structural Integrity - A lot of aftermarket wheels do not measure up to the structual integrity of the stock wheels, some have quite a bit more than stock. Do your homework.

Available tires - what tires are available in the wheel sizes you are considering.

Appearance/Bling - What looks good to you? Going with the Bling wheels may mean using sizes greater than optimal for weight and performance. Also, more Bling, more $$.

Budget. How much do you have to spend? This stuff is expensive - make sure you have the appropriate budget to buy what you want - and more importantly - what you need, if you are doing motorsports! Remember, no one will care how pretty your wheels looked, before they suffered a structural failure - your life rides on those wheels.

I was just up at the Car & Driver Cannonball One Lap event at Summit Point. The serious Vette drivers were on CCWs - they were not "pretty", but they had the sizing and quality needed for the job. They do have "pretty ones" available too!

Just my $.02

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
I'm a little partial to the iForged.....in the 18/19 combo. Black Aero's with 3" polished rim. Bling factor for the street and show. AND very functional, one of the strongest and lightest.

But I also have 2 sets of CCW's, 18 all around and a drag package.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Don't forget Weld's. These are forged as well, so the weight is very comparable to the OEM wheels.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
There's also:

Motorsport
Mallett
SSR
BBS
OZ
American Racing

...And a host of others, I'm sure.

Of this list, I like the OZ's I've seen (though I'm not looking for other gun metal wheels), and I always thought the Mallett black chrome wheels were sweet... But, I'm still pretty set on iForged Aeros, I believe. :)

-Kirk

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I've had the CCW classics in 17/18 +1/2", and they were great. I don't race so I traded for these IForge AEROs. If you get the wheels with a black center, don't go w/ anodized, like I did, get 'em powdercoated. More durable, and better looking, IMO. Here' the beast now. (pic taken before Baer rotors)

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
ninepoint5 said:
are you gonna slam it?
I assume you're talking to me?? It's all the way down on stock bolts. Different people get different results. Have it in my plans to cut the bushings soon. I measured less than 1/2" drop from stock, using all the threads available. I've seen the bushings up under the control arm, and it looks as if I can only get another 1/2" at most in the front. I can always get longer bolts in the back, but I like a bit of rake.

·
Banned
809 Posts
exSSer said:
I assume you're talking to me?? It's all the way down on stock bolts. Different people get different results. Have it in my plans to cut the bushings soon. I measured less than 1/2" drop from stock, using all the threads available. I've seen the bushings up under the control arm, and it looks as if I can only get another 1/2" at most in the front. I can always get longer bolts in the back, but I like a bit of rake.
What brand and size tires did you go with? Sometimes, the tires are a little smaller in overall diameter and some manufacturer's sizes vary a little, so it might run a bit smaller than stock and in turn make it appear like you have more wheel well gap. Also, there's an illusion thing going on with larger wheels and lower profile tires. It seems like the less sidewall you have, it seems to exaggerate the wheel well gap.

Sal

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
salvador said:
What brand and size tires did you go with? Sometimes, the tires are a little smaller in overall diameter and some manufacturer's sizes vary a little, so it might run a bit smaller than stock and in turn make it appear like you have more wheel well gap. Also, there's an illusion thing going on with larger wheels and lower profile tires. It seems like the less sidewall you have, it seems to exaggerate the wheel well gap.

Sal

That's kinda weird you mentioned that, because the new tires are 295/35 19s on the back, which are actually an inch bigger in diameter. You'd think a bigger tire would fill the wheel well better.The new combo is 18/19, BTW.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Be very careful of getting wheels/tires that are not as light as the stock setup ! I noticed a HUGE difference with aftermarket wheels and tires. They added 10lbs total per wheel and it felt like I was dragging an anchor behind the car. I was shocked and sold them. They were Yokohama AVS sports, with repo Z06 machined wheels (18x9.5, 18x10.5)

1.) Find the weight of the wheel and compare it to the stock wheel
2.) Find the weight of the tires you plan to buy. Compare to the weight of the F1's.

You will notice a performance reduction (as I did) if you do not do your homework and end up with heavier wheels/tires.

I got my stock z06 wheels painted professionally a bright silver to better set off the machine silver color of my Z. I am extremely happy now and no weight issues !

Z49

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Z49 Z06 said:
Be very careful of getting wheels/tires that are not as light as the stock setup ! I noticed a HUGE difference with aftermarket wheels and tires. They added 10lbs total per wheel and it felt like I was dragging an anchor behind the car. I was shocked and sold them. They were Yokohama AVS sports, with repo Z06 machined wheels (18x9.5, 18x10.5)

1.) Find the weight of the wheel and compare it to the stock wheel
2.) Find the weight of the tires you plan to buy. Compare to the weight of the F1's.

You will notice a performance reduction (as I did) if you do not do your homework and end up with heavier wheels/tires.

I got my stock z06 wheels painted professionally a bright silver to better set off the machine silver color of my Z. I am extremely happy now and no weight issues !

Z49
You are right about the wheel weight. Light weight wheels and tires are like getting free horsepower and torque. It's just a lot less weight to accelerate. I first noticed it on a old Nova I owned and raced. It really woke that old car up and picked up the e.t. as well.

Quite a few of the reproduction wheels look good and are featured at a very low price but you will pay for there heavy weight in the end. Those light weight HRE's that I'm looking at may be worth it in the end. I figure if I drive my car several million miles they may even pay for themselves in fuel saving alone.

D.J.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
weight

TWO COMMENTS AND QUESTIONS

So what wheels are there that are the stock size (so i can use the stock tires 17" front 18" rear) that are reasonable weight...

I am going to just go with CHROME OEM if there is nothing else in our stock size. How do we get them?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hey Z49 Z06,

My thoughts on wheels, with the primary intent to improve feel and durability / safety.

Wheels were purchased from CCW with Nitto 555R2's, the customer service was A1.

I went 18" front and rear to even up the sidewall height, and 3 pc to allow cheap repair and future changes.

Forged centers, spun rims because they are more resistant to fatigue.

Full race machining for minimum weight, but street hardware cause it's stainless. I should have gone with Ti hardware but can always swap.

Black anodized centers because they look sinnister on yellow, and don't show dust.

I did not like the standard center caps, and went without. Made my own in black and think they make the wheel.

I think the classic wheel would look better with the centercap of the 505 (nice beveled face).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts