Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When did you become a "Corvette Nut"? I became one in 1962 when I was 9 years old. The Route 66 series on TV started my fasination with this car, and hasn't stopped yet. I was born in 1953, the same year the Corvette came out, and was always fasinated by cars. I have owned Corvette's for almost 30 years (since Jan. 1972 ) and hope to, till I can't get into the drivers seat. My,'02 Z06 is my 17th Corvette.:)

carzzy

·
Registered
0 Posts
1967.....Hot Blonde Chick across the street from where I lived had a boyfriend with a new '67 427 Coupe....been hooked every since!! Chick had nuttin to do with it. :D

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I bought my first vette when I was 22, now @ 41 and 11 vette's since, they keep getting better and better. My two favorites I have owned the ZR-1 and the Z06; hopefully more awesome vette's to follow.:cheers:

·
Registered
103 Posts
when my brother bought a 1967 327/350hp 4-speed green coupe, he had a lot of cool cars but i liked the vette best. i always dream of getting a vette so i got a 1977 a L-48 white automatic (POS). :( i bought a 1985 z-51 automatic, better car handled great but never ran right. i bought a 1992 6-speed LT-1 quasar blue coupe my 1st new car, great car. :) :) it got better, i got a 1994 ZR-1 white/grey fast car better quality, but no one knew how to fix it. test drove a electron blue 2002 Z06, bought a black 2002 Z06 after test driving it :cheers:

·
Registered
123 Posts
1966, I was in high school and my best friend's older brother had a 1962 327/340. We liberated the keys when the older brother was away one afternoon and took her for a spin. Within 2 seconds of being in the drivers seat and in first gear I was hooked and it was all over for me. 35 years later my 02 Z06 does it for me just like that 62.
:D

J

·
0 Posts
Never really thought about buying a corvette until GM invited me to a ride of a lifetime with stu hayner and other corvette racers and let us have at it..

After that day..I said to myself on the way home..

I should be driving that car everyday...or at least when the mood strikes..

So since I was39 and a day..I decided it was time to celebrate 40 years on this earth.. ..I dialed up the phone to find a dealer who would not only give me a fair deal on one but would disconnect the passenger side airbag so I could take my toddler son with me on beautiful days for that father son thing..

What a great experience, including the people within the sport.. and I can say..that unless something unexpectedly catches my eye..I will always be driving a corvette of one type or another!

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Always loved Vettes, my Uncle Smitty used to work for GM in St. Louis... His job was putting the window winders on! :eek:

Got the hots for the Vette in 1966. My cousin in Winchester, KS had a 63 split window. It was white with, as I recall, 375 horse 327, 4 speed, red interior and side pipes... you couldn't hear the Wunderbar radio when it was idling. A flat gorgeous car.

One night we had been out running around. Tornados started hitting. I happened to be looking out the back window when lightning struck. There appeared to be a tornado running up the highway behind us. The lightning struck again and sure as all get out, there was a tornado running up the highway behind us.

I yelled at my cousin. He dumped back to 3rd, as nearly as I remember, and WOT! We handily outran the tornado, and I have been in love with Vettes since then.

My 99 FRC is as close as I've ever gotten to that SWC, but damn! I do love it!

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
My short story ...

In 1968 living near Bruce Larson, father of the funny car. His wife, Gail, had a 1967 Corvette, all black. She was (okay, still is) a hot blonde that could drive. Trips to the pits at Maple Grove Raceway with Bruce in 1968 with his USA-1 funny car, a '68 Camaro, hooked me on drag racing for life. That car is in the Smithsonian in Washington DC. Bruce still lives near me, not racing anymore, has a lightning rod business.
His Corvette funny car:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Great stories gang!!!

My story actually started as a kid....always dreamed of having a Corvette, even before I had a driver's license....BUT, always out of my budget! :(
Turn the calendar to 1983......I decided to sell my R100RS BMW motorcycle before I became a statistic. I had over 100,000 road miles on 7 differnet scooters, and never crashed or even dropped one on the road! :D Number of friends had accidents, and a couple lost their lives...so I decided to hang it up. Mrs Zippy said, why don't you get a Corvette to replace your Beemer? I said "Do you know how much those things cost?":eek: :eek: :eek: She replied, "No, but so what? If you want one ......get it." Gotta love that little lady! :D :cheers:
Sold the BMW, and the very next day ordered a new Red 1984 Coupe from Ed Rinke Chevrolet! That was the first of seven.
Interesting coincidence to this story: I have never met Ed Rinke, and wouldn't know him from John Doe, and I purchased my '01 Red Z06 from his dealership last February. OK, here is the coincidence.....Earlier this evening, my wife and I were returning from dinner with 3 other local Vet couples and I decided to drive by Rinke Chevrolet to see what Vets were int he showroom (btw, I was driving the Cadillac) since we were close by. This was about 8:30pm and I knew they were closed...anyway, I drive by and turn around in the side street next to the showroom and a fellow is standing outside the side door and looking at me drive by. Pat said, roll down your window, that guy wants to talk to you...I did so, and told him I am a Corvette nut who just wanted to see what was on display, and as he reached out his hand to shake, he replied "Hi, I'm Ed Rinke." :eek: We made small talk for a few minutes and we said our good byes!

BTW, Rinke had 3 new convertibles on the floor, all lined up one behind the other. each had white soft tops, and they were RED,WHITE & BLUE!

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it! :lol:

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
When I was a lad of sixteen I used to borrow my dad's 1953 Ford Country Squire station wagon and cruise the town. A guy had a 57 Aztec copper fuelie and if I could catch him leaving his house on Sunday's which he always did at the same time, I would follow so I could listen to the scavenger pipes he had out the back as he rowed that 4-speed back and forth. He always left town on the same back roads and went up into the hills until I wasn't sure I would find my way back. Years later I learned he had a girlfriend in a little town up there. That was the car that got me hooked and the Route 66 TV show just added to the mistique.

Pat :)

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
The first Corvette that caught my I was a 1955. I use to walk by it walking to school. I was in the first grade,so it must have been 1958. Thought the screens over the headlights were "neat". Bought my 1st (1957) in 1970. Six inch I-beams raised the front cross member, reversed shackles in the rear(with Gabriel Hi- Jackers)Crager Mags, Tubular Automotive fenderwell exit headers,a301,4spd, and 4:88 posi. What a fun car! ( and I paid $750.00 for it!)Bought 14 more since then. And this ZO6 is the best of the bunch! What do you do for an encore?

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
70-71, about 10 yrs old, fell in love with car, uncle owned a few, have vivid memories of his 78 Pace Car, I got my first vette when I was 32, a 75 T-Top, drove it for 8 years, sold it to get the 01 Z...

·
Registered
523 Posts
first time

I grew up in my Dad's body shop.Late '50's ,was running the creeper around like a scooter and spilling paint.....I guess around '63 my Dad got a split window in to fix a left front fender and rocker panel.I thought that was the coolest car I had ever seen in my 10 years on the planet.But what really got me was a friend of my brothers had bought a 67 maroon coupe w/ the stinger and a 427/390.He was a machinist and made enough to buy the $4,200 car...lol.I begged for a ride and he took me way out into the southern Ohio backroads.Hilly,narrow,and dangerous.When we got back,I just knew that I would have to have one someday.I was 14 then.Later on,the 67 was in the shop for something,don't remember,but I was to drive it to get the front end aligned,guess in 69.That was my first experience driving the vette,a 67 BB,rode and drove around town like a truck,no power steering......but,what a car.Well,at 48,I finally got a vette,the best vette yet.Was worth the wait.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I was one of tyhose guys that never got into Vettes. I was a F-Body guy....until 2001 when I saw specs on teh Z01 on speedvision. I waited last year and grabbed on of the 02's. I think I'm a late bloomer at 40 ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I can't remember when I didn't love vettes, I think it was an unconscious thing as a small child, I think the vette is like a soul mate of mine, they just seem so right! As a young boy I would dream of them never really knowing if I myself would ever own one! The name "Corvette" has such a cool sound to it, I wonder where it came from, does anyone know who came up with it?

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
sanz442 said:
I can't remember when I didn't love vettes, I think it was an unconscious thing as a small child, I think the vette is like a soul mate of mine, they just seem so right! As a young boy I would dream of them never really knowing if I myself would ever own one! The name "Corvette" has such a cool sound to it, I wonder where it came from, does anyone know who came up with it?
Myron Scott(assistant advertising manager) suggested it to Ed Cole, Chevrolet's chief of design, at a meeting in 1952. Scott was looking through a dictionary and saw the word "corvette".Defined as as small,nimble warship,it implied speed, strength, and maneuverability-perfect for Chevy's new 2 seat roadster. Cole liked it, and presented it to the rest of GM's upper managment. The rest is "history" as they say.
Instead of a "nimble warship, today they are more like F 16 Fighters! ( I did my senior term paper on the history of Corvettes.....31 yrs ago)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts