Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had someone ask me this.

I'm no financial advisor, but I can tell you how my decision was formed to get a Z06 now rather than at a later time.

It's my opinion that owning a desirable car is usually expensive due to demand. Hardly any dealer discounts what they can sell at a premium. No manufacturer does either, it just isn't a great business decision in and of itself.

Right now is an anomoly. Uncertain economic attitude by the public which is founded or unfounded coupled with a manufacturer making an incentive a blanket offer to keep it simple, has been a good part of what makes it attractive if a buyer is on the fence.

I don't think the Z06 will change much until the next generation and that may well not take place until 2006, if there is a roll in of the Z06 to the second year of the next generation car.

There are many unknowns, but what is sure is that the Z06 is a great car. It could even turn out that less will be produced next year if 50th anniversary demand is high. Corvette production is relatively finite so coupes, convertibles, Z06's, AND 50ths will be divided into the 30K plus total production.

No one should take my advice without doing their own homework.

I do believe now is the best time to get the best 'vette at the best price.

A $2002.00 headstart is unusual with Corvettes.... I would bet it will probably NOT remain available and $2K is $2K you don't have to negotiate to. Corvettes have been in and out of the incentive loop and as I said, it's unusual for them to be included at all.

Take this for what it's worth.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
:cheers: :cheers: RIGHT ON! :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Looks like a pretty accurate accesment to me due to the fact that when the economy stabilizes collectable vehicles are still going to be just that,,,,,,collectable.:cheers:

Nick

·
Registered
50 Posts
The z06 is not a collectable car. It's mass produced, even if low compared to other vehicles. And, I think the best time to buy a dream vehicle is when you have the money and it won't put your family under economic stress. The z06 is a great vehicle, no doubt. But, come on, it's not that much in demand. If it was, then, GM didn't have to put discounts on them. The reason they sold so well lately was due to the discounts. If anyone thinks this is the best time to buy a new z06, in my humble opinion, they're either fooling themselves, or are being deceptive. Cars, unless they're exotics and/or in high demand, will lower in price towards the end of the production year.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
pej933 said:
The z06 is not a collectable car. It's mass produced, even if low compared to other vehicles. And, I think the best time to buy a dream vehicle is when you have the money and it won't put your family under economic stress. The z06 is a great vehicle, no doubt. But, come on, it's not that much in demand. If it was, then, GM didn't have to put discounts on them. The reason they sold so well lately was due to the discounts. If anyone thinks this is the best time to buy a new z06, in my humble opinion, they're either fooling themselves, or are being deceptive. Cars, unless they're exotics and/or in high demand, will lower in price towards the end of the production year.
I couldn't disagree with you more! If a person is seriously contemplating buying a new Z06 and doesn't buy now, I think they are foolish. The Z06 is a bargain even at sticker price, when compared to comparable cars. With a $2002 rebate and decent discounts, it is that much more of a smart buy, right now. The economy is not great, and that is the only reason rebates are in effect for a car like the Z06. The Z06 is very much in demand. IMHO

carzzy

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
All I can say is we sold 125 of the 2001s and do not have a single one left on the lot.
The most that we have had of the 2002 on the lot at one time is 8. I know we do a good job of disc. these cars but dont fool your self they are still in very high demand here in the south.:)

I have been selling these cars for 4 years now and have never seen the % rate incentives and rebates that have come out of late.

I agree with fastdog, NOW IS THE TIME.:)

·
Registered
483 Posts
your dream car...ect

I must disagree with you all. The z06 as with most cars is not a good monatary investment. The reason you buy a dream is to make you feel good after a day at work,a problem at home or any other stressful event that you need to unwind from. I can tell you from watching people for my 55 years on this earth, most put off there dreams for a better time and many never make it to their better time. If you can, dont wait, you may never fullfill your dreams if you do. Just my .02 cents

alan

96gs #112
01 tr z06

·
Registered
81 Posts
Unless everything 'goes to hell', the Z06 WILL be a collectors car, but it will probably take at least 25-30 years for it to be that. As for buying one now, NOW IS THE TIME. And yes, the Z06 is not the most sound of investments regarding financial gain. If one was after financial gain, they wouldn't buy a vehicle to accomplish that. However, most of you obviously have the financial resources to buy a car of this stature. The Z06 DOES fit into the luxury/exotic market; however, it doesn't fetch the price tag that most exotic's do, and that's one of the luxuries of it. Ironic. If your dream is to buy a Z06, and you have the finances, do it before it's too late.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Hey, would all you guys who DON'T think these will ever hold any long term collector value PLEASE start totaling your Z's so mine will go up in value someday:D :D :D

Just don't get hurt in the process!:guiness:

All kidding aside, I have been there and back with older Vettes, and they will and do come around if they have the goods. These cars have the whole package!

My 11yr old has already offered to buy mine from me when he is 30:) and wants to set up a budget so he can save NOW!

Maybe he knows something that we don't.......:yeadog:

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Re: your dream car...ect

xcorvettex said:
I must disagree with you all. The z06 as with most cars is not a good monatary investment. The reason you buy a dream is to make you feel good after a day at work,a problem at home or any other stressful event that you need to unwind from. I can tell you from watching people for my 55 years on this earth, most put off there dreams for a better time and many never make it to their better time. If you can, dont wait, you may never fullfill your dreams if you do. Just my .02 cents

alan

96gs #112
01 tr z06
We do not disagree. Anything beyond basic transportation includes other emotional reasons.

I would be last last person to suggest buying a car you can't afford nor appreciate on an emotional level.

I have never told folks what they can afford or should do. I have bought some really nice cars in my time because that's something important to me.

I have a better than average understanding how a car works, how it can be driven, and how the car business works.

No one could predict the occurance nor level of effect 9-11 would have, not even the cowards that did it.

If my assessment is wrong? I put my money where my mouth was. I have the keys to prove it.

The Z06 is the best sports car GM has ever made. 1953-1955 and 1996 is the only times Corvettes were difficult to sell, ever.

If someone thinks the Z's will be stacked like cordwood come model year closeout? By all means wait and see.

It's how you buy a car that dictates everything that follows.

It's how you enjoy the car that's the point.

My point is to be helpful, not a fortune teller...

Meanwhile I'm driving and smiling and I do put value on that.

GM is discounting everything across the board... this is a statement more than a necessity I feel.... believe what you will, I know with good certainty that GM also raised the price of the Z06... interesting... think there isn't big buzz out there for this car? When a company is into keeping something going they will not sweat the small losses.

I'm not going too much further with this with this because it makes no sense to.... my point is to be helpful with my humble opinion.

Those that can afford a 'vette know it, those that can't do as well.

H

·
0 Posts
I agree

I have a friend who sold two Z06s and he is very sorry that he did.

I think the next change in the Z06 will not happen for a long time. Engine changes are really not necessary.

The 02 or 03 Z06 is already an 11 second car, which means you have virtually no equal on the street except the Viper. That's pretty good company.

Jim Hall

·
Registered
666 Posts
Re: I agree

Halltech said:

I think the next change in the Z06 will not happen for a long time. Engine changes are really not necessary.

The 02 or 03 Z06 is already an 11 second car, which means you have virtually no equal on the street except the Viper. That's pretty good company.

Jim Hall
Good To See you Jim!! Hope all goes well.

There are many reasons one buys a car, for most it is a source of transportation. For others it is a passion and hobby, of which both are mine. Just don't let the what you really want to do today go, because the day of enjoying it may never come if you don't.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I couldn't disagree with you more! If a person is seriously contemplating buying a new Z06 and doesn't buy now, I think they are foolish. The Z06 is a bargain even at sticker price, when compared to comparable cars. With a $2002 rebate and decent discounts, it is that much more of a smart buy, right now. The economy is not great, and that is the only reason rebates are in effect for a car like the Z06. The Z06 is very much in demand
Believe me, if I could buy one now, I would, regardless of the discounts. My motto is: Have fun now because you never know when the end comes. The discounts are very attractive, no doubt. I just don't like it when people try to convince me of buying something right now because of so and so and such, although I can appreciate their suggestions. I guess some emotion plays in their advice seeing that people here really LOVE their z06s. I can understand that. As for this being the best time to buy: Only time will tell.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
The Best Time .....

Is the present if you can afford it and if it makes you happy. Like others have said, if you wait and wait, it may never come and then you'll be kicking yourself forever :D.

If you can afford it ... do it!!

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Re: The Best Time .....

ZeeOhSix said:
Is the present if you can afford it and if it makes you happy. Like others have said, if you wait and wait, it may never come and then you'll be kicking yourself forever :D.

If you can afford it ... do it!!
I agree. You definitely should be able to afford it without sacrificing other needs.

And when you do buy, don't look back. Just enjoy driving the car NOW.

Also, when placing that order with one of our supporting dealers, don't forget the museum delivery!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Before I throw my 2 cents in, you'll need to know I am in the money business. I have been accumulating money for 15 years and showing others how to get rich. That is what my family does.

That being said...I did everything wrong when I bought my 2002 Z06 this December...paid MSRP AND paid cash.

Now, I am 39, and figured I don't want to wait "forever" to enjoy some of the fruits of my labor. I stress the word "some." I did not have to hurt myself financially to buy this car, so buying the car at maybe not the best time is no big deal. And it shouldn't be for anyone buying a car like this. These cars ar like jewelry for our wives...nie, but not needed.

This car brings my a great deal of enjoyment. Something we all need in our lives (yes, I have other sources...family, Dallas Cowboys, etc.).

I enjoy the camraderie (sp?) with my brother/sister Vette drivers.

I enjoy the feel of driving the car.

I had a family friend that passed away this past summer. Almost 90 years old. Him and his wife lived in a shack on the North side of town, very rough neighborhood. Lived like a pauper. The SOB was worth $1.2M!!! His poor wife had no idea.

No she lives in an upscale assisted living complex, we got her a Lincoln LS, and she is enjoying life.

My Dad taught me one important thing about life (among many)...everything in moderation.

Enjoy life, buy the car when you can, don't ruin your future for a car though.

Sorry if I rambled too much!

·
Registered
631 Posts
The best time to buy a dream car is very simple

when you are ready to buy one !

·
Registered
778 Posts
Re: I agree

Halltech said:

Jim Hall
WOO HOO, WOO HOO-Jim's still here!!!:cheers:

Joe :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
439 Posts
I think now is a great time to get your dreamcar, esp if its a z06 ;)

Im 21 and I bit the bullet and bought my 2002 black/black z06 this week from Kerbeck Corvette (thanks Kristen for the kick ass service!)

I got my 02 for 48,100 fully loaded- 51,800 with tax/title/license
- it should be here early next week via Passport Transport.

I dont think I could have got such a killer deal if I would have waited a few months like I originally was going to do.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts