Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I went to lunch and it was raining. I get in my car and there is water all over the passenger seat and door. I said, "Oh Sh*t, I must have left the window down a crack". Nope, window was shut tight. I leaned over to see where the water was coming from and right at the spot where the window curves down toward the front of car, the water was coming through under the seal where the headliner tucks in. I am pissed. :mad: The headliner is soaked and the seats and carpet were soaked. Now this is bizarre because I have had in the rain before and never a problem. Also, I have had my eye on such things, owning a 2002 Camaro SS, it had the leaks trough the windows and roof. I have had my car through many brushless carwashes and never had a problem with them either.
Now, I start to drive away pissed thinking about when I am taking this in to get looked at by the dealer when my left foot gets drenched by water coming in, probably at the same place on drivers side but is making its way to a spot above the clutch where it puddles. :mad: FANF*CKINGTASTIC!!!
I was, how you, say not amused. I am sure anybody who saw me driving down the road with my windows fogging up, and my antics going on inside probably thought I had gone nuts.
Well, now that I have calmed down somewhat, anybody know anything about this phenomenon? Any insight as to how to fix? It seems to me that the water is going right into the gap between the roof panel and the trim piece. I wonder if GM put anything in that gap to keep water out. I looked but couldn't tell. I am wondering if I can squeeze some silicone crap in the crack it that will work. Any suggestions? :roll:

·
Registered
806 Posts
I feel your pain!! My 02 Z leaks like Chevrolet designed it that way. I took it to the dealer and they fixed the first leak, then my 3yr36k expired and like on a timer the leaks came back this time passenger side along the windshield seal. Since then I have also added some black silicone arround the entire window seals both pass. and driver sides and it has cured that problem. :thumb: Now I have to figure out how to get the weatherstrip arround the windshield re-sealed. It is so bad that I have decided not to drive in the rain unless absoutely nessary and if I do, I have deep rubber floormats to catch the water and also keep a towel pressed up along side the passenger door to absorbe it. :rofl: You would think Chevy could solve such a simple problem as a water leak on a $50K flagship vehicle! Good Luck!!!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
At the first Z06FEST GM technicans we actually repairing a few Z's that leak at the A frame. It's a known problem on some vehicles and the dealer should take care of this for you.

I've been luck so far. The only servicing I've has was column lock, seat rock, broken window trim and rear window weather stripping.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Red Kelly said:
The only servicing I've has was column lock, seat rock, broken window trim and rear window weather stripping.

There is a warrant fix for the seat rocking problem ? You mean the one where I move back to put my seatbelt in the the right side pops and falls back ? :mad:

Damn I hate when it does that. And sometimes my stupid seat belt gets stuck, it go all the way in or pull out because it gets creased or seomthing. :mad:

Still I love my Z06. :thumb:

·
Registered
399 Posts
My car is a leaker, has been since day one. 1st visit, adjust drivers window. Still leaks. 2nd visit, replace door seal. Still leaks. Said to hell with it for about 2 years. My warranty runs out in about 8 months, took it back to the dealer yesterday, they removed the drivers side A-piller trim. According to the service advisor, there is a gutter like piece in the A-piller that channels the water outside the passenger compartment. It was not in place properly and thus the silicon did not seal the gap. Parts are on order, will be in next week. Hope its fixed this time.............

Special order: Molding #10331563
Weather stripping #10297742
Retainer #10333468
Silicone sealant

At the 2003 Z06 Fest, it rained hard the morning we left for Texas. I had a 1/4 of water in my drivers floorboard. And when i pulled up under the foyer at the Hampton Inn, about 12 oz. of water ran from under my dash and on to my feet. I had to change my socks..........

I am determined to get this fixed before my warranty expires, so that car will be back to the dealer every week, until they get it right.

Best of luck on your leak,

·
Registered
373 Posts
Sorry, I feel your pain somewhat. My passenger window leaks during heavy storms and will leave a nice puddle under the doorsill and seat. Some water gets on the door and armrest and some on the seat.

Mine is just a little leak in between the window and seal...can't seem to fix it...oh well. :drunk:

Good luck

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had the same problem w/my 02, I noticed water dipping on my left foot. At first they thought it was the windshield but found it to be the molding. The driverside was leaking, pass side molding was cracked but not leaking. They had the dirvers side in and replaced it but had to order the pass side.
Look the car over real good when you get it back, I noticed the other day that the window tab on the driver side is missing. I dont know if the piece was broke off or if they just forgot to install it. I hesitate to take it back because they had problems keeping the water out even after they replaced it, now its fine and I hate to mess that up. It looks a lot better w/out the tab and I almost wish the other side was missing too. I will probly ask them about it though.

·
Registered
629 Posts
If that "tab" isn't in place, the window will pull out at the top (very noisy) at high speed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
OK here's my leak story. First of all GM should be embarrassed that their flagship sports car doesn't get assembled with enough glue on the weatherstripping. Just do a search; this is WAY TOO COMMON. Mine is a late '03 so all the stingy glue issues should've been long worked out. Once the parts came in the dealership had an auto glass co. come in and rip out the original weather stripping on the pass. side and install new. (Sounds brutal but apparently that is the design.) They did a nice job but like most things if you look hard enough you can tell its been redone (varying thickness in glue bead down in the crack between body and moulding). The car was one month old and knock on wood still doesn't leak 1.5 years later.

Just give your service mgr. a buzz; he or she will probably know all about the issue.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
As others have posted it is a common problem. More than often it the molding parts are not the issue and it really boils down to using enough silicone sealant behind the molding to ensure a good seal. Good Luck :thumb:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a major leak in my 04 z16, every time in would rain and the car was parked in my driveway up hill the drivers side floor board would fill up with water, it took 7 times at the dealer to fix, they found body plug under the dash in the firewall not sat in all the way by the clutch pedal, glade they found it, was consider factory buyback until they found it !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts