Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
You can add a half quart at a time and keep cycling and checking the dipstick. Or, what I would do is go ahead and do a full oil & filter change with the recommended fill. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
that light ain't too bad, just means you've been driving the isht out of your Z like it was meant to be driven.....I usually just top it off as necessary via the dipstick depending how far along the miles are....otherwise I'd change it, but I'm a lil anal with my oil changes, done at least 5-6 with 13K miles on the car. Meanwhile synthetic is good for at least 5-6K of hard driving.

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
I think the service manual says it comes on at a quart low which was my experience when a dealer oil change did not put the correct amount in from the start. First one by the way, as I have done them since.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Oh - oil consumption and oil level warning. Those werer the days ;)

Boy do I have some stories and experiences fo you... :p ;)
But - suffice to say, you are at least 1 quart down when the message comes on.. but in my experience over a number of low oil conditions - no let me rephrase - that a huge number of low oil level conditions, it seems the oil level idicator is not an instantaneous indicator (although I would have thought it should be).

The oil level indicator seems to wait for the next power cycle to tell you.

So in my case, with a car that used to drink a quart every 500 miles, a long trip might have me almost 1.5 quarts or more down by the time the warning comes on.

Either way - by the time your DIC is flashing "Low Oil" - you have Low Oil :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From what I gather so far, its apporoximately 1 qrt low, but the oil still needs to be added gradually and checked while doing so.

I was hoping it would be a dead on thing. Light comes on = Add 1 qrt, keep drivin. Guess not.

It has been about 700 miles since fill up...but taking into account to radical nature of the engine...I guess it aint too bad.

At least it doesnt make the back of the car black any more...But the oil must be going somewhere!?!

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Actually - I have gone by the rule of thumb - once the light is on, you are at least 1 quart low... and I tip in a bottle - and move on.

Sometimes it may need more than a quart to get up the mark.

An extra 1/2 quart won't hurt the car... afterall, GM recommend adding a quart EXTRA if you are going to be beating on the car like an Iraqi POW...

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
RC45 said:
An extra 1/2 quart won't hurt the car... afterall, GM recommend adding a quart EXTRA if you are going to be beating on the car like an Iraqi POW...
:lol: The correct term is "enemy combatant", and we aren't even allowed to insult them. :lol:
I guess I don't drive mine hard enough because it's always on the level. Maybe I'm just lucky since I have never had an oil burner. :jammin:

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Cave Man said:
:lol: The correct term is "enemy combatant", and we aren't even allowed to insult them. :lol:
My bad.. let me rephrase that "if you are going to be beating on your car like you would beat an Iraqi POW with an enemy combatant..." :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts