Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brake fluid as far as I know is origional fill and is dark brown in color. I think it is time for a flush but am not for sure. I really dont want to take it to the dealer and the only dealer with a Vette Tech is about 1 1/2 hours away. How long is brake fluid good for (normal driving) and how do you know when it is time for a system flush?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

·
Registered
195 Posts
SGT. PYLE said:
Hello Sgt. Pyle,
There's no specified periodicity, but conventional wisdom says every other year is a good frequency. What I do is take a turkey baster and suck out the old brake fluid as much as possible from the master cylinder reservoir and then put in new fluid, doing that every weekend for a month.

I don't remember having seen an EB Z06 in North County... I have a QS '02 and I'm in Vista.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nuke61 said:
Hello Sgt. Pyle,
There's no specified periodicity, but conventional wisdom says every other year is a good frequency. What I do is take a turkey baster and suck out the old brake fluid as much as possible from the master cylinder reservoir and then put in new fluid, doing that every weekend for a month.

I don't remember having seen an EB Z06 in North County... I have a QS '02 and I'm in Vista.
I currently live in Georgia. I am a Marine stationed out here for another 3-4 months and then back home to Oceanside. I own a house off the 76 close to Camp Pendelton. :cheers:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Brake systems that employ ABS should have the fluid flushed every 1-2 years. The fluid should be kept pretty clean to prevent problems in the ABS system. It's something I read somewhere.

I would flush it at about 20k - 30k miles or two years, whichever's first.

Alex

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Dirty brake fluid means the fluid is doing its job. Follow the owners manual fluid change schedule but, dark brake fluid means it is time to be flushed out.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
For street use I would do a complete flush every 20K miles or so, or 2 years, whichever comes first. Also use a turkey baster to replace the fluid in the reservoir every oil change.

Les

·
Registered
298 Posts
Nuke61 said:
Hello Sgt. Pyle,

neat idea!
do you need to bleed the brakes if u do it that way?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts