Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what point do you guys scrap your front rotors?

I have the stock rotors but they were cryo treated and grooved.

They have about 4k miles on them but are covered with spider cracks and recently have about an inch of blue appearing on the outside edge,,,, but they still brake fine.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello anyone out there???????????????

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Street only or track (autox/road race)? If the latter, definitely replace them soon. How long are the cracks? If they reach the edge of the rotors you'll get heavy vibration on braking and need to replace them for sure.

·
Registered
891 Posts
They are easy to replace.

How much body work can you get for $50?(the cost of 2 front rotors)

Get rid of them.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Brakes are way too important to take chances. :screwy: Get rid of them.They're cheaper than collision repair :blush:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
A real rough thumbrule is if you can get a fingernail in them, time to ditch them. Here are a few pics of my stock rotors in various stages of life.

New rotor:

Used but still good rotor:

Spider cracks nearing point where I won't use them on the track:

Spider crack gone too far (this is very rare and I believe crack propagated rapidly on cooldown in pits - caught in routine pre-track session checks)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Sub,

excellent learning tool here. I am new to DE's and it's great to see the wear progression on the rotors so I will know what to look for when mine get there, to ensure I don't let them go too far.

Excellent advice as usual, and your visual aids are outstanding :thumb:

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
I have ditched my front rotors at the spider-crack stage - twice. Went through 1 set of rears in the same time period.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
The stock rotors are so cheap, it's not worth screwing around with running them too long. I keep an extra set around, such that I can change when needed.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Backlash said:
The stock rotors are so cheap, it's not worth screwing around with running them too long. I keep an extra set around, such that I can change when needed.
That is good advice. They are only $25 a pop at NAPA. I always take three fulls sets with me to the track (one on the car and two spares).

That last pic above really got away from me fast, which is a good reason why you should give them a visual inspection before every single track session. You can see that rotor hasn't even really started to spider crack yet. Just the one crack that went clean through. :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts