Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the possibly dumb question, but how do I know when to replace my rotors? I've got 43k miles on the car and they look pretty good, but are definately thinner than they used to be. By that I mean you can see the groove cut into them somewhat.

I think I need some new pads, and while I'd like some new drilled/slotted rotors, I don't want to shell out the cash if I don't need to.

I don't have a picture, but could take one if needed to help.

chris

·
Registered
891 Posts
When they reach the minmum thickness or show signs of cracking. Do a search for the thickness spec.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The minimum thickness is stamped right on the rotor. But why bother? The rotors are $25.00 from Napa and 19.00 from www.rockauto.com :cheers:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where do I measure the thickness from? The vanes in the center to the outermost portion?

chris

·
Registered
891 Posts
Where do I measure the thickness from?

From outside friction surface to inside friction surface. It's about 1.125". I think I recall the minmum to be about .060" less or 1/32" per side.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Mine never last long enough to worry about thickness, I always crack them first...

New:

Five track sessions and still looking good:

13 track sessions and starting to show signs of heat stress cracking (but still useable):

Early death after 5 track sessions. This one cooled down on a cold day after a track session and I think the crack grew rapidly on cooldown.

·
Registered
391 Posts
when to replace rotors?

I am with Subdriver on this one. R&R them when they "pop"
Serioulsy, w/43k, you might want to have them surfaced, and replace the pads onto newly scrubbed rotors. The service guy who turns your rotors will check the thickness for you and tell you if there is enough left to do the turning. If you are still getting good stoppage when you need em, no worries.
There is a "squealer" which will tel you when to change pads. Till then, if you ain't tracking, (sounds like you street only), no worries, you're good to go,er, stop.
My dumb question comes next.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts