Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've checked my local Home Depot, Lowe's, and Sears, and none of them have it. I've checked their websites and can't find it. I don't really want to get it from Griot's for such a large markup, but I'm running out of patience.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I dont know if any vendors here carry it.. but i know one dont know if i can say...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Got the link, that was just what I was looking for. :thumb:

Should I get the 7424 or the 7428?

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
I got mine at Lowes. Slightly different # if I remember. I think mine is a 7424 or something like that. I think I paid $109 for mine on sale.

Joe

·
Registered
55 Posts
Pc 7424

Saw that coastal tools has the best price on the net for the 7424. I already ordered mine from Autopia. Good luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
145 Posts
I recently did a lot of research on polishers and ended up buying a cyclo polisher. I bought a amost new one for 200 (ebay) and compared to the different kinds I've tried over the years it is the best one going. It is also the most popular professional polisher used on planes who's paint jobs are worth way more the an entire vette.

·
Registered
110 Posts
NewFoundPower said:
Thanks! Got the link, that was just what I was looking for. :thumb:

Should I get the 7424 or the 7428?
Get a 7336. It's almost identical to 7424 but has a larger counter balance weight (I believe 5oz vs. 6oz) which makes it more balanced at the higher speeds. They come with a foam pad but it's not as good as the pads you could get from detailing supply houses. You will also need a velcro backing plate. If I remember correctly, 7428 is a rotary buffer (as opposed to random orbital) and it requires more training and practice. If you are new with buffers, don't get a rotary because you can literally burn the paint off the car if used improperly. Hope this helped.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I'll sell you mine. I used it once, but didn't like the feel. Give you a good deal, too. PM if interested.

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
I got my orbital from Griot's Garage-ordered online and had it in 2 days.

I love it, it's practically impossible to damage your paint with theirs, and I like how they have 3 levels of polish you can use, depending on how deep your scratches are:thumb:

·
Registered
116 Posts
blkZ06 said:
I got my orbital from Griot's Garage-ordered online and had it in 2 days.

I love it, it's practically impossible to damage your paint with theirs, and I like how they have 3 levels of polish you can use, depending on how deep your scratches are:thumb:
How did that machine work getting swirl marks and light scratches out? My paint is good but I have a lot of swirls that the sun light really show.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Remove swirl marks

It's all about how you first prep the car. Use a good degreasing wash (Dawn) to remove all wax that currently exists on your car. Use a clean mit to wash followed by a through drying with a microfiber towel. Then, clay at least all flat areas. (hood, roof, deck)

From there, use your Porter Cable (PC) to begin the proper polishing steps. I prefer the flexible 5" backing plate with 6" white polishing pads. This way you have a little cushion on either side of the pad when you go vertical with the PC. The 5" backing plate fits great with 6" pads. A good Intensive polish followed followed by a Finishing polish will go a long way in setting yourself for the final wax.

BTW, the polish will be the product that removes your scratches/swirls. Just ensure you have a clean surface when beginning the various stages of work.

Work the polish in until you break it down with just a slight haze remaining and finish with a microfiber towel by hand. I use a microfiber bonnet to remove anything I miss by hand.

Apply you favorite wax with a gray or red pad and PC until you get the same type of haze. Wipe with a detail microfiber and finish with the microfiber bonnet.

In the end, your paint will have taken on a new meaning in regards to a deep, rich look. It will quickly bring a smile of satisfaction to your face. :)

Total for all equipment to wash, clay bar, polish prep, wax and PC accessories are around $300.

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
PDCjonny said:
How did that machine work getting swirl marks and light scratches out? My paint is good but I have a lot of swirls that the sun light really show.
it did an outstanding job :yeadog:

I used the #3 polish on the entire vette, and #2/#1 for areas that I wanted to go deeper into the clearcoat to get out scratches I could feel

·
Registered
76 Posts
NewFoundPower said:
I've checked my local Home Depot, Lowe's, and Sears, and none of them have it. I've checked their websites and can't find it. I don't really want to get it from Griot's for such a large markup, but I'm running out of patience.
the best price i found was at http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/...er.htm?L+coastest+wryz6963fff468f4+1114942185

i got mine there - no problems. for pads, i use mequirers or the ones thru http://www.properautocare.com

this just shows you how much markup others are charging - some of these guys are charging 100%+ - WTF!!!

·
Registered
649 Posts
You may want to check out my company, Toolup.com, free UPS Ground shipping, which would put you at or better than coastal if they don't offer free shipping.
Also - we ship the same business day (M-F) if you order before 11am.
I just checked stock, and we've got plenty. So, if you order today or sunday, it'd ship monday morning and you'd have it in 3-7 days depending on where you are. (It's shipping out of Las Vegas, NV)

Kevin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts