Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Brian K,

Glad you were able to take advantage of a good deal from the general, and also great to see a good experiance overall.........................

Save the wave

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Brian,

Congrats on your quest :) Was it difficult setting up the courtesy delivery? I hear there aren't too many dealers willing to help :(

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Brian:

I live about 15-20 miles from Buff Whelan. If you like, I would be glad to examine your car before they ship it....Let me know.

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you very much for the offer, Zippy!

I believe the car will be coming directly from BG to my courtesy delivery dealership (in Tigard Oregon). I don't think the guys at BW will get to see the car.. That makes it a lot less painless.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I wasn't aware of anything paid to the deliverying dealer out of the $645 destination charge. However, I heard the "PDI" charge can be claimed against your new car warranty as part of the courtesy delivery process. If this is true, then why does anyone have to pay anything extra for courtesy delivery to the local dealer for PDI?

I've also heard the "courtesy" delivery fee may vary from a few hundred to as much as $1000 or more for this service. Basically, all it amount to is removing some protective materials shipped with the car and maybe a simple wash job if the car is dirty. Maybe they fill up the tank and perform an inspection to verify everything is working on the car.

Such a service maybe takes 1-2 hours tops, just like any other new car prepared for customer delivery. If the detailing guy(s) do something more like a wax and polishing job, then maybe it would be customary to give a tip. If they have a lot of other cars to prepare I do not think they would "voluntarily" do any waxing or polishing because there is just not enough time to get carried away unless the customer specially requested that as part of a regular detailing service for which there may be an explicit fee.

Does anyone know the straight story about this service and how much it should cost for a standard (no-frills) PDI?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you set up the CD, GM knows about it. The destination dealer's code is entered, not the selling dealer's code.

$200-$250 is customary in the business for a CD. You pay the CD because that's how it works. It doesn't matter whether it is a truck or Camaro, Dodge or Ford. Anything more than that price is starting to gouge (because it is a 'vette, right?).

BUT, this is a lot like women and hair cuts. They think they should pay the same price for a hair cut as a guy does, and some actually file lawsuits about this.:lol: But you can bet that guys are 1000X less picky than women.

The same applies to Corvette buyers. They have higher expectations, and there's a chance they will take a bunch more of the CD dealer's time.

That's not to say there aren't people buying Mini-vans who aren't a major pain to deal with because they think the fake wood on the outside of the van should look real ;)

I don't quite follow how the PDI could be charged to the warranty.

You say 'no-frills' PDI, but I don't believe you can negotiate such a thing. What if there are issues with the car? Sorting them out could take a lot of everyone's time: CD dealer, selling dealer, GM, and you.

What if I don't accept the car, for whatever reason? I'm 2700 miles from my selling dealer. The original selling dealership owns it - 2700 miles from their sales and service department. When I went from delivery at the selling dealership to cross-country CD, my deposit went from $500 to $3000. I don't think that is unreasonable.

I think you pay the $200-$250 and be happy if everything goes well. If they want more, consider finding a different CD dealer.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
As concerns the customary CD fee, not knowing exactly what to expect, I just called the delivering dlr to find out. The Sales Mgr told me there is a PDI fee but that it will be billed back to the "selling" dealer for payment. Since I already signed a retail sales contract and no such fee was included, I'm in the clear.

Just a lucky break or SOP? Don't know. I do know I have a good friend who works as a salesperson who helped me arrange for the CD at the same dealership. I'm very glad that he did. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts