Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a full face helmet for driving events, drag strip, etc. Prefer either Simpson, or Bell.

Any suggestions on where to get one at a great price?

·
Registered
558 Posts
racerwholesale.com--they have Simpson and Bell; also check out G-Force-it's a great helmet for a very good price compared to the others. It is also light. They typically ship the same day also.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Helmet City...

:D

·
Registered
145 Posts
It all depends how much you want to spend..."if you have a $10.00 head, buy a $10.00 helmet". All jokes aside I think a good helmet makes all the difference. It also should last you a long time and hold its value to a certain degree.

Make sure you get a good fitting helmet. If you can, buy one local where you will be able to try the helmet on before you buy it. If not make sure the mail order place does not have a restocking fee in case it does not fit.

I've had quite a few helmets over the years. The best fitting/lightest one I have ever used was a Bell Dominator...twice as good as any other helmet I have ever used!!! If I needed to buy another one right now I would definatly buy a Bell and it would probably be the Vortex (very similar to the dominator w/o the open cockpit design). It's expensive but what's an extra 2-300 when it's protecting your head.

You might think I'm crazy, most people do, to waste my money on a helmet but I drive a kart a lot so I expect to land on my head sometime in the future :thumb:

Good luck!!
Hope to see you driving around this side of the state with you new helmet on :coo:

·
Registered
145 Posts
After all that ranting I totally forgot to mention a place to purchase the helmet. Bell helmets are not over produced and it seems that most places do not stock that many models/sizes. For that reason there are not that many wholesale places to purchase them from. If I was buying one right now I would use upracing.com (I have recently purchased a lot of karting stuff from there/great service/knowledgeable staff)

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I bought mine from helmetcity, it ended up being dropshipped from simpson directly.

I'd also look at impact racing's helmet line. Bill Simpson started a new safety company after his non-compete with simpson expired.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Zippy:

I've bought my last two Bell helmets through Averill Racing Stuff in Madison Heights - http://racing-stuff.com/

Good prices; great reputation amongst local formula car racers.

I would strongly suggest that you trial fit the helmet before purchasing. Helmets from different manufacturers fit a little differently.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
acrace said:
Zippy:

I've bought my last two Bell helmets through Averill Racing Stuff in Madison Heights - http://racing-stuff.com/

Good prices; great reputation amongst local formula car racers.

I would strongly suggest that you trial fit the helmet before purchasing. Helmets from different manufacturers fit a little differently.
Not only do you want to trial fit your helmet, but do so with someone who knows what they are doing so you can get their input. You really need to go to a reputable dealer that has some racers on staff who understand how the helmet is supposed to fit.

If you find one you like in person, then you can always order online if it saves you a few bucks. The Kevlar helmets ain't cheap, and I'd buy as light and strong as possible--Snell 2000 or newer.

Good luck.

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
IMHO, one should not buy a helmet without trying it on in person. The most critical feature of a helmet is how it fits your head. If it is too lose or doesn't conform to your head, it is useless. I'd try to find one locally where you can try on a few and make sure you get one that fits you uniquely.

·
Banned
809 Posts
fcar said:
racerwholesale.com--they have Simpson and Bell; also check out G-Force-it's a great helmet for a very good price compared to the others. It is also light. They typically ship the same day also.
:yeadog:

Consider the G-Force. It's a good helmet at a great price. I picked up the full face M rated helmet for $100. If you find that you are getting more serious later, you can always buy a more expensive helmet and use this one as a backup or for a passenger.

Sal

·
Registered
891 Posts
I picked up the full face M rated helmet for $100.
A lot of clubs require Snell SA rating now. M (motorcycle) rating might not be allowed at some events.

I would agree with others about buying one in person and getting advice on fittment unless you are a repeat buyer of same brand.

·
Banned
809 Posts
UstaB-GS549 said:
A lot of clubs require Snell SA rating now. M (motorcycle) rating might not be allowed at some events.

I would agree with others about buying one in person and getting advice on fittment unless you are a repeat buyer of same brand.
Which clubs?

Sal

·
Registered
149 Posts
I use a bike helmet (because I also have a bike) and it's been OK'd by all clubs I've ran with. From what I understand the basic difference is that bike helmet does not have fire protection, and it may be designed to protect against different types of hits than an in-car helmet. I think that a good bike helmet is fine for use in a car unless fire protection is a concern. FWIW, I have Arai RX7-RR. My experience with Bell helmets (I used to have M3) is that they're not of the same quality as japanese made Arai's: Bell M3 didn't feel as comfortable, was heavier, and was put together without the same attention to details (black vent covers fell out within a few months of use, liner came untucked in the back, etc).

Arai does make helmets for car use. I would check out their offerings.

·
Banned
809 Posts
Mafia said:
I use a bike helmet (because I also have a bike) and it's been OK'd by all clubs I've ran with. From what I understand the basic difference is that bike helmet does not have fire protection, and it may be designed to protect against different types of hits than an in-car helmet. I think that a good bike helmet is fine for use in a car unless fire protection is a concern. FWIW, I have Arai RX7-RR. My experience with Bell helmets (I used to have M3) is that they're not of the same quality as japanese made Arai's: Bell M3 didn't feel as comfortable, was heavier, and was put together without the same attention to details (black vent covers fell out within a few months of use, liner came untucked in the back, etc).

Arai does make helmets for car use. I would check out their offerings.
That's my experience as well. I bought Bell helmets when I first started riding motorcycles and there was a difference of night and day when I stepped up to something like an Arai or Shoei. I actually use a Shoei for the motorcycle because I have a Shoei head. The Arai's are just too short for me.

Sal

1 - 20 of 31 Posts