Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am tired of getting false tire pressure readings with cheap gauges. What gauge should I get? I also dont like the one's that take forever to let air out. Thanks in advanced.

George

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I've currently got a longacre, quite happy with it. I've also used rebcos as well.

Be aware though, that the gauges are most accurate in the middle of their range. If you're doing around 30psi, you want a 60psi gauge. If you're airing down your slicks for drag racing, you probably want the 30psi gauge (doesn't sound like you are doing this though).

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mgarfias said:
I've currently got a longacre, quite happy with it. I've also used rebcos as well.

Be aware though, that the gauges are most accurate in the middle of their range. If you're doing around 30psi, you want a 60psi gauge. If you're airing down your slicks for drag racing, you probably want the 30psi gauge (doesn't sound like you are doing this though).
Yes I am doing this. I run 275/35/18 RA1's in the front 100% of the time and my 315/30/18 BFG drag radials in the rear 80% of the time. I only run my rear 305/35/18 RA1's for road race events. Is it really worth it to buy 2 gauges?

If I get the 60psi gauge and air my drag radials down to 18psi how close should it be? I have been using cheap Kragen gauges in the past so that's all I have to compare to. Thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have had two longacre gauges. A digital which broke halfway thru one season and a longacre analog gauge. I like the analog gauge alot after using it a while.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Longacre 0 to 60...

How do you check the accuracy of a guage?

After the initial measurement, I use mine more for a reference point. Say start with 30, then check wear or temp and adjust + or - from there. I've seen identical gauges at DE's show 3 or 4 lbs variance when used seconds apart on the same tire.

Does accuracy decline with age?

:)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Longacre makes nice gauges. Intercomp has a 45 psi. The Longacre 60 is just hard to read.

That said, Longacre makes a digital memory gauge, and gauges with an air fitting. The first has accuracy, speed, and convenience. The latter feature is a tremedous convinence. Adds speed and accuracy just when you need it.

Unfortunately, at $300, it doesn't have low price on its side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts