Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought this.

..and it requires a singal wire for the RPM's. Is there a place to tap into this easily? At the ECU? (Where is the ecu!) I hear there is an easy place on the driver's side?

My car is a 2004 Z06. Thanks for any leads! Need to isntall this tomorrow in time for my DE.

An excerpt from g2x's website:
------------------------------------
Currently, the G2X utilizes a standard tach signal (5-18 volt, 50% duty cycle, square wave output signal). This is the type of signal typically supplied to an aftermarket tach and is generally the most accurate form of tach signal. Some of our users have reported the ability to obtain an auxillary tach signal, on some later model vehicles.

We have located two different RPM signal generators, designed to attach to the 12V positive coil power supply on later model vehicles that do not utilize a distributor.
They are:
MSD Part number: 8913
http://www.msdignition.com/ignition_27_a_8913.htm

Autometer Part number: 9117
http://www.autometer.com/cat_accessorieslist.aspx?pid=21
------------------------------------

Am I going to have problems installing this in my Vette? Will I need those units that are listed? Sorry, I am comfortable ripping apart my car's interior and installing electronics (Have large stereo), but dont know a lot about the mechanical/engine stuff. I'm learning! Help!! :pp:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just went through this when installing a shift light. Check this thread out---->Link
It worked great for me. The picture was taken facing from front to back of car, or of the front side of the fuse box.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did more searching after my post and found this

It looks like a much easier place to grab the switched power, ground and rpm signal wire. It only took me about an hour start to finish and I really took my time. I dont have it fully hooked up to my unit yet, but I ran wires from under the dash to under my seat (I will place g2x there I think). After I get it hooked up I'll let you know if it works..!

BUT, can anyone answer my other question?!? Is the RPM Signal output a "standard tach signal (5-18 volt, 50% duty cycle, square wave output signal)"?

·
Registered
56 Posts
The EASIEST place to tap into tach wire is under the steering column. All you have to do is remove the kick panel and find the wire bundle that goes to instrument cluster. In that bundle will be two wires that are green with white line. It is one of those all you gotta do is figure out which one. I just did trial and error. Total time to tap into this wire = 5 minutes.
Hope this helps.
JT

·
Registered
35 Posts
subw00er,

Last night I tried to pull up this thread with all the good information you recently posted on MSD G2X and the other products out there and it has been lost.

Can you give some input on this again, I know you were not happy with the MSD G2X and there were some other brands out there you have researched.

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jim, I ended up buying the traqmate system as it looked the nicest and cleanest. Although you still have to do some post editing, the system just seems to look nicer.

With that said, I havent received the unit yet, so I may bite my tongue. Circle back with me in a month and I'll update.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the information, I am between the Traqmate and DL1 at the moment. With the traqmate do you get RPM readings and can you add sensors such as water temp, oil temp and pressure.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yup. just need to get the data module addon

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ps- why did the mods erase my other thread (the entire thread) on the data acquisition systems. WTF. I spent a lot of time compiling that info for everyone. At least an explanation would have been nice.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If your thread was posted in the last 6 months it was lost with everything. The forum lost the last 6 months or so of information. Some computer glitch. There are a few threads started that explain it.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you kidding? Why didnt they back it up? That sucks!
MAybe its time to switch bulletin boards.. get a working search feature too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts