Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided that the exhaust note on my '01 Z06 is sweet, but the decibel level isn't there. If I can raise the decibel level by 25% and retain the tone I would do it with the stock system. I've not seen any way to easily do this, so, I now look to the aftermarket.

I've narrowed it down to two:

Corsa Indys or the B&B PRT's.

My neighbor has a Diablo VT (V12, of course) and it is loud AND sweet (not in-your-face). It's this note I'd like to replicate as close as possible, the exotic sports car as opposed to the 454 Chevelle sound.

From what I've read and heard (from sound files) the Indy's would come closer than the PRT's, which have more of the muscle car sound.

Am I on to something here?

TRF

·
Registered
420 Posts
I put Indy's on my '01 a couple of weeks ago and LOVE them. Great sound without being obnoxious. One word of caution, go ahead and factor in an X-pipe. With just the exhaust it pops a LOT. Way too much around parking lots. So my X-pipe goes on this week.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ordered the Indy's + Pro tips + "X" pipe today.

Car gets better and better, wallet gets lighter and lighter.

TRF

G

·
go for the B&B HEADERS EXHAUST PRT AND VERDONES H PIPE REMEMBER PUT ALL THE SAME PRODUCT ON YOUR CAR NOT A PART FROM HERE AND A PART FROM THERE. ALL YOU GUYS WANT HP AND DON,T REALLY KNOW HOW TO MAKE IT. I WISH I HAD SOME REAL CRAP TO SELL BECAUSE IT SEEMS TO ME YOU WOULD BUY ANYTHING ON ANY PART, WHERE THEY TELL YOU IT MADE HP.. I READ ALL THIS CRAP ON ALL THESE WEB SITE AND ABOUT HALF IS TRUE. HELL HALF OF THEM TELL YOU WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR, AND YOU BELIEVE THEM. I HAVE MADE OVER 50 RWHP WITH ONLY HEADERS EXHAUST MY H PIPE WHICH WE MADE AT B&B AND MY COMPUTER PROGRAM IM AT 371.4 RWHP AND 364.8 FPT W NO AIR BOX AND NO MAF NO BULL SHIT PARTS. I CAN SMOKE THE TIRES IN 1 2 AND 3RD
YOU WANT FAST HELL YOU DON,T KNOW WHAT FAST IS..
HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE HADE IT UP TO 180MPH... IF YOU DON,T KNOW WHO I AM HELL JUST ASK SOME OF THE GUYS IN ARIZONA IM THE ONE WITH THE REAL FAST ZO6.
MOST OF THEM HAVE HAD A RIDE. :grin: :eek:

·
Registered
0 Posts
ZOJOESVET,

You need to lose the caps. In internet circles, it is considered shouting and rude. Just friendly advise. :)

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
ZOJOESVET said:
ALL YOU GUYS WANT HP AND DON,T REALLY KNOW HOW TO MAKE IT. I WISH I HAD SOME REAL CRAP TO SELL BECAUSE IT SEEMS TO ME YOU WOULD BUY ANYTHING ON ANY PART, WHERE THEY TELL YOU IT MADE HP.. I READ ALL THIS CRAP ON ALL THESE WEB SITE AND ABOUT HALF IS TRUE. HELL HALF OF THEM TELL YOU WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR, AND YOU BELIEVE THEM. :grin: :eek:
ZOJOESVET... ditto what Frank said and I also would recommend trying to post without making derogatory remarks generalizing the forum as a whole.

I, for one, am interested in what you have to say... if you do it without insults. :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow! I got a ride in Z0JOESVETTE the other day while visiting his shop and I gotta tell ya this thing is a missle. I am hoping that I can have him do the same thing to mine in the near future.
Thanks for the info on CAPS I did not know they were offensive or showed attitude. Working in engineering everything I do is usually in CAPS on my drawings and sometimes transfers over in other things. Anyway as soon as I get Joe to do my car I will let everyone know how it works and what the numbers are.

COPTERJOHN:) :D

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
I have had Corsa Indy's on my C5's and love them!
Am planning on installing them on the '02 ASAP! :cheers:

Zippy :) :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Corsa's installed

A couple of days ago I had the Corsa Indy's and the Corsa X-pipe installed in my '01. The engine is stock (for now). Here are some observations:

1. The note is awesome.:D Nice improvement. Pro tips look mean.

2. Sound is louder on acceleration but actually quieter when cruising.

3. Popping has increased over stock, even on upshifting. I was told the X-pipe would reduce/eliminate this. Not true. May not be a bad thing, tho.

4. The muffler shop that installed it claims big HP gains with this setup (they didn't sell it to me). SOTP feels unaffected.

Would I do it again? You bet!

TRF

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
I just had the Corsas installed too, and I don't know if it is just me being deusional or what, but I noticed a decent improvement in my midrange torque.....Where I used to downshift to 5th on the highway, I find myself leaving it in 6th now.......

I have a TRIC and Cobra installed, IDK if that has anything to do with it.....

Either way, it sounds AWESOME! I'll be posting a review and a video of the install courtesy of Tony's Corvette Shop.

They also have some NICE photos of a long tube install (on a Z06) at their site:

http://www.tonyscorvetteshop.com

JC

·
Registered
94 Posts
Aftermarket Cat-back Exhaust

I've installed the Borla XR1 Race System and like it. I've had the sound described as "raw" and I like that too. I personally like setting off car alarms in parking lots. It's louder than stock but still very comfortable at crusing speeds. BTW, the titanium mufflers are gone, replaced by a single unit behind the cats. It probably weighs less than stock and definitely adds horsepower. It looks good too, with just two large chrome pipes at the rear. You know it's not your ordinary Z06 when you see that. If you put a chrome exhaust plate between the pipes, it looks awesome. I have long tube headers on order too. I'll be interested in how that changes the sound.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
You guys with the XR1....are you just buying the muffler, and having a shop custom the rest of the work....over-axle and out the back to tips? Or are you buying a complete kit from a vendor of some sort?

The thought of yanking the catback, installing FLP LT's, ORXpipe, and two small bullet mufflers on each pipe has crossed my mind....can someone clarify what, exactly, they are doing?

TIA

·
Registered
94 Posts
Aftermarket Cat-back Exhaust

The Borla XR1 is a complete Cat-back system. It includes the muffler and all necessary mounting hardware, through to the tail pipes. I took it to a mechanic who used to work on my 911 Turbo. He had no trouble installing it and no bending was required. Very nice system!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Borla XR1

Where did you pick it up? Do you have any pics? How much did it cost?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Which aftermarket Cat-back exhaust?

I got the Borla XR1 Race system at C5 Performance, (http://www.c5-corvette.com/catalog/index.htm). As far as pics, I hope to get a digital camera today, and will get some shots on shortly.

·
Registered
267 Posts
We will be putting the Corsa Titaniums on Friday at Corsa shop and autocrossing it on Sat and Sun. My sisters Z06 convertible already has them on. They sound awesome!!

Will probably have two sets of Z06 exhaust for sale in the near future.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.