Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading about some of the intakes. The one from halltech and the donaldson seem to produce about the same extra hp with the donaldson being quite a bit cheaper. Can anyone out there confirm this? Is one easier to install than the other. Please share any pros or cons, or is there another intake out there someone likes better?

J

·
0 Posts
Next September??????..its an air filter...LOL

Don't wait till next september to find out what to do..

Remember its an air filter..not the cure for cancer..LOL

All kidding aside..they are all good...pick the one you think you'll like to have on your car..

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I did forget one item...take a look in the Performance Data Section of the Forum, on the sidebar at left, and see what mods are giving their owner's cars their hp and tq increases.

I imagine the offerings will increase as time goes on. 01 and 02 cars are on file. Head/cam packaged monsters, too.

RG

·
Registered
568 Posts
While there is much more to the performance of these products than simple flow numbers, flow numbers are important.

Track and dyno numbers are good, but variable. Properly done, flow numbers are reproducible and tell part of the story.

I think the available info on the intakes and filters is incomplete without that data.

I had access to a big flow bench a couple of years ago, but no more. Can anyone do some flow tests?

It would also be interesting to get some data on how the performance of the intake systems drops as the filters get dirty..

Do the filters in some of the more exposed ram-air designs get dirty more quickly and ultimately end up with less average performance?

·
Registered
292 Posts
So what's wrong with your orginial?
The intake system needs to allow sufficient cold air to the engine. The `02 was redesigned with a larger intake filter holder to allow more air to enter with less resistance. The OEM filter could probably be replaced with an K&N which reduces this resistance. The cold air is present with the front cold air entrance screens, so no changes are needed for that.

So that's it; unless you add a supercharger or turbo to push air into the intake, you must rely on the natural vacuum from the engine to pull in the air. Fancy intakes for high prices do absolutely nothing more than provide a fancy looking system and a LESS restrictive filtering mechanism to allow for more air to the engine.

Be sensible and go with what you have, change the filter and save your money for more worthwhile mods.

H

·
0 Posts
I like the Halltech TRIC or the T1 Intake

Why. I have one on my Z06 and it made 17 RWHP vs stock.

It looks great and compliments my engine compartment with space age carbon fiber.

Thanks,

Jim Hall

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm with Jim, considering I have the Halltech TRIC installed on my car. Not only are the HP gains there, the thing produces a mean growl at WOT. :eek: Install was easy, assuming you have no reservations about cutting a hole in the shroud. If so, go with the T1.

MR

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Vortex and Powerduct worked great for me....going to put some more miles on it, then we'll have a before/after dyno... :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
BOBSZ06 > "Fancy intakes for high prices do absolutely nothing more than provide a fancy looking system and a LESS restrictive filtering mechanism to allow for more air to the engine."
:roll:

There's way, way too much data out there (much of it independent) suggesting that a Halltech, Vortex or other good system is worth 15 or more RWHP. Vette Doctors in Amityville, NY did a mod by mod dyno late last fall and got 12 or 13 RWHP with their own design. To suggest that all these manufactures are lying to us is ridiculous.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts