Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i drag race my z06 and have no other modifications done to my car. now i want to modify the air intake system first. here are my questions: /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

1. If i only do modifications to one area of the engine, which is the best area? air intake? exhaust? (not headers or cams cause i dont have the $$ yet)

2. if i modifiy the air intake on the car, do i have to reprogram the computer? i have seen some posts the the vette will relearn? whats the deal with that?

3. for those of you who modified you intake system first, what did you do, did you seen a performance differnce, and did you do anything special besides slap on the new parts (i.e. new programming)?

Im asking alot, but any education for my engine ignorant mind would be very appreciated!

Thanks!

PURE STOCK
60' - 1.952
1/4 - 12.639
MPH - 110.35
Sig too large......
Cool Refraction
Sig too large......
Nine Inch Nails

·
Registered
420 Posts
Do the air induction first. Changing the exhaust gives you very little power, it's mainly for looks and sound. But you'll feel air induction right away. You don't need to change the programming for just air. The computer will figure it out for you after driving it for a few days.

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
NetJunkie said it straight. Your choice of intakes depends on your budget also. If you want the best bang for the buck, get a conical K&N filter to replace the entire stock box. They can be found for about $40. It will get you 90+ percent of the gain of the $400 filters. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, so which air mod is better? it seems everyone here has a variety of everything, but there is no consensus on which is better. Is there a better mod?

vortex, blackwing, halltech, K&N, ect...

if i only mod the air intake and use the car for drag racing, which is recommended?

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
If you go just by the numbers, then I believe the Halltech comes out on top, but there is a cost/value equation.

If money is no object, and you want to go all out, then my opinion would be the Halltech. Other filters give almost the same results for less. Almost /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

JC

·
Registered
837 Posts
Good advice above. Do the intake. Let the computer relearn.

My before- and abfter- dynos showed a +10 rwhp and +15 rwtq from the Halltech. It produces more at speed than it does on a static dyno.

With the Halltech, I'm looking for 12.3x ETs on stock tires once the weather cools off again.

BTW, Flood, that's a nice 60' time you've posted.

Ranger

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went over to lingenfilters pages to see what he is putting on his vettes... Donaldson washable air inlet system... Ol' Johnny boy has got to know his filters..

honestly, i dunno yet.. thanks for all the input guys. ill post when i make up my mind..

BTW Ranger, thanks. Here is my timeslip for that run.

http://www.dissention.net/images/island_timeslip.jpg

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Vortex or Hall Tech will give you the same HP, the Hall Tech system looks better but is more expensive. I have seen both intakes running in the 11's with bolt on mods. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
You will get an improvemet with most any of the systems. I went for the K&N in the stock box for the best all wheather protection.If you drive on wet slopy roads any open eliment filter is opening you up to more danger. Be very carefull when evaluating the claimes on ET's and MPH. There are so many vatiables. Weather,track conditions,with my car the et's stay the same lane to lane but not the mph. The best drag strip mod that anyone can make is practice and judging by your times your well ahead of the game already. Ric

1 - 10 of 10 Posts