Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im about to have my new forged motor installed in my car this coming week. Which oil should I use initially, Mobile 1 synthetic or regular motor oil? Also, is there a break-in period for this motor? It's a blown (supercharged) by the way. Thanks for the help as always.

Jim

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
That's a tough question. I've seen both side debated fairly well. I land on the side of the fence that says just put a good synthetic in it from the start.

I also don't know that much about superchargers, other than they generate lots of heat... another good reason to use a high quality synthetic.

Here is what I use to break in my motors:
AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30
:cheers:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'd personally use some good synthetic from the get go.

There have also been debates in the automotive community on how to break in an engine. Some say break it in the way it will be driven while others say baby it.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I would go with synthetic from the start. As far as the break-in, I would go with the recommendations of the guy that built it. He knows (or should) what the clearances are. Depending on the assembly, need for break-in may vary.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I would not use a synthetic oil in a forged motor for the break in. I would use Castrol 5W30 for the first 5 thousand miles and then I might think about switching over to a synthetic. :cheers:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
case2307 said:
I would not use a synthetic oil in a forged motor for the break in. I would use Castrol 5W30 for the first 5 thousand miles and then I might think about switching over to a synthetic. :cheers:
I agree with Case except switch at 1,000 miles. While that's my preference, I don't think you will be wrong either way. What does your engine builder suggest? :cheers:

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I initially put regular Castrol GTX 30 in for the first 1500 miles and then switched to Synthetic Mobil 1 10-30.
Was that the right decision? I don't know - I think it was, but its hard to say. The engine is set pretty loose and, like most LS class engines, it uses a fair amount of oil - but it currently has ~16k miles on it and still runs strong so I choose to belive I made the right decision. ;)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Everybody has their choice of the way to go. I used dino oil for the first 500 miles, then changed the oil filter and oil. Went to Mobil 1 with the filter change. My opinion is that dino or synthetic doesn't matter as much with the materials being used in today's motors. With that in mind, I used the less expensive oil for 500 miles knowing that I would change the filter after the motor has some miles on it and the metal shavings and stuff from machining and working inside the motor have had a chance to be caught in the filter.

Later ... Larry S.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I'm of the opinion shared by the other dino oil users. The synthetics are so slippery, it's difficult to break in the motor. Use like, natural oil, man, for the first 1k, then change to syn with a new filter.

Just realized! Post # 1000. whoo-freakin' hoo!.

:D

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
IT L GO said:
I agree with Case except switch at 1,000 miles. While that's my preference, I don't think you will be wrong either way. What does your engine builder suggest? :cheers:
I agree with Case and above.

Alex

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'd use synthetic only because after fifty miles I would drive it like I stole it . :sneaky:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well....after talking to Andy at A&A (who I purchased the motor from) and my local Chevy service manager (who happens to also be a friend), I've decided to go with Mobile 1 5W30 synthetic. As for the break-in period, in Andy's own words, "drive it like you stole it". Andy has an amazing reputation and he knows what he builds so I should be posting some dyno numbers around the beginning of next week.

Thank you to all who have posted. I appreciate your input as always.

Jim :z:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts