Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to purchase a stroker assembly and have a choice of connecting rods.5.7inch or 6inch.
Now I get various comments on these and wanted to see what the Z06 folks have to say.
My Z is an 01 with patriot performance stage11 heads,vara ram vb2 ram air,borla stinger exhaust,hp custom tune.
The kit will be the 396cid kit.
Any help is appreciated.
Jim

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
The 6inch will make more power up top, and do better at surpressing detonation. It will make less torque on the bottom end though.

The reason is the longer conrod slows the piston down at the top and bottom of the stroke, and is faster in the middle. The shorter rod is slower in the middle, but is faster at the top and bottom.

Obviously there is more to it than that, but given the choice, I'd go with the 6 (and if possible, longer).

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Jim,

You may want to give Callies a call and talk to them about your needs. They can put together just about any rotating assembly you could want and there products are made in America. They make a "custom" Magnum forged crank with any stoke you would want and a Racemaster that comes in a 4 inch only. They have a wide selection of rods and pistons and will tailor your counter weights to match about any bob weight combination. They sell a sweet rotating assembly for just about any purpose.

6.125" rod would be my choice.

D.J.
Callies, 419/435-2711 Located in Ohio

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
D.J.,
thanks for the info on Callies,I actually grew up in that area,I believe it was called norton mfg back then.I will consider a Callies.I have gotten a price locally here in nashville and the brand was "Eagle". I really do not know much about that company except circle track guys seem to use their cranks alot.Sounds like I need to give the Callie guys a call and compare.
Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
MONGOOSE said:
D.J.,
thanks for the info on Callies,I actually grew up in that area,I believe it was called norton mfg back then.I will consider a Callies.I have gotten a price locally here in nashville and the brand was "Eagle". I really do not know much about that company except circle track guys seem to use their cranks alot.Sounds like I need to give the Callie guys a call and compare.
Thanks, Jim
I'm from Columbus. Callies makes a great product. If you need any of the products they offer give me a PM.

D.J.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts