Votes: 37 5.6%
  • BPP

Votes: 82 12.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 147 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Could you add to that poll which shift knob?

I just ordered the Hurst for my red Z from www.c5store.com and now I'm wondering which knob to get..

and is it a big deal to change the boot to the color of the car?

Is that a good idea in an all black interior?

·
Registered
496 Posts
I've been using the B&M Ripper for over 2 years and I love it. I'd consider other's but since I don't use a shift boot and none of the others look good enough to be exposed I'll stick with the B&M.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have my Hurst for 2 months now and love it. Especially with my Ken King Short boot and two tone knob. I can Email pictures.:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Had my Kirban in for a few weeks.. Great mod...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hurst rattles no matter what you do Its not totally annoying but it shouldnt do that. The stiffer springs help prevent this but its BS in my opinion. I may cut the stock shifter and go with that. 170.00 for a rattleing shifter. The expense reward ration is out of proportion.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
2002blackz06 writes;

"Absolutely false, my Hurst does not rattle. It is all in the Knob you use."

I also have not heard of very many people having rattling problems with the hurst ...
BUT, tell me...what knob do you recommend?

:guiness:

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
THANKS 2002blackz06 !

BTW: I've met Noah and have seen his car (did you know he's trying to sell his z06 knob....I know he likes it tho;)

Anyhow 2002blackz06....have you heard about any knobs that seem to make noise?
(or is it all in the Locktite..../?)
:)
THANKS

·
Registered
32 Posts
HURST DOES RATTLE WITH MGW KNOB

I recently installed my new Hurst in my 2001 Z06. I left the springs in the shifter that shipped with it and installed a new MGW knob. The noise from the shifter was horrible at all medium engine speeds and the side gate force was excessive, especially downshifting to first gear.

The next day I dismantled the console again and swapped the outer springs for the softer ones included with the shifter. I adjusted the screws afterwards. The side gate force is better, but still excessive.

All screws and nuts have Locktite on them. Then I decided to try a fix that I have heard about for noisy B&M Ripper shifters. I attached three strips of adhesive wheel balance weights to the shaft of the shifter; then I wrapped the assembly with electrical tape. The noise is now reduced, but still there. It is noticeable at mid revs and also at full throttle acceleration. In my opinion it is not acceptable for use in a street car.

A coulple of days ago, I sent an email to RG, wanting to discuss the problem and to get his assistance in resolving the problem. He must be busy, I haven't had a reply yet.

From what I see on this forum, the noise problem is a common problem with both the Ripper and the Hurst. Unless RG/Hurst can provide a repair to eliminate the noise, I believe that Hurst should take all of the noisy units back and refund the customer's money until they can develop a shifter suitable for Corvettes that are used on the street.

No flames intended - just the fax.

Regards,
Steve Spears

1 - 20 of 147 Posts