Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just given a slightly used 50th Anniversary Billet exhaust plate. This piece is sweet. I just removed the tape from the back side with a razor blade and polished the front with Never Dull. Which double sided tape should I buy to affix this thing.

Ob.

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
3M double sided tape is awesome. Make sure you scuff the plastic piece a bit. It will help it adhere.

·
Registered
230 Posts
PerforminNorman said:
3M double sided tape is awesome. Make sure you scuff the plastic piece a bit. It will help it adhere.
Make sure you get the 3M heavy duty one - gray in color. :cheers:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I picked up Scotch (3M) heavy duty double sided foam tape. Can anybody confirm that this is the correct product I should be using. The tape that was previously on the exhaust plate seemed to be more of a transparent glue type substance. Can anybody confirm that what I purchased will be sufficient. I would like to get this thing hung on the Z this afternoon.

The Z06 Rules :z:

Ob.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
The 3M dual sided tape I am familiar with is specifically labeled for auto trim application and is avail. in just about any auto parts store not sure about it's availability in home improvement stores like Home Depot. I think it sells for $5 for small roll.

It's as you and others have described grey, foam-like, and has red vinyl backing.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I used outdoor 3M double sided on my exhaust plate, never a problem! But its applying it right that make a diffrence

here some tips

1) get outdoor 3M tape

2) get the weaker side sticking to the plate

3) do stick the tape on the plate first, and use heat and let it
sit for a few days,

4)take a blower dryer outside to heat up the surface where its going on the car

5) peel and stick

ps. use as much tape as room for to hold all the weigth, when wind gets back there wind puts alot of weight on it

·
Registered
102 Posts
You need 3M acrylic tape. They have called it red liner in the trades for years ( parts counter guy should understand this term ) used for mounting body side moldings and it is gray, Don't use foam. Clean surfaces with rubbing alcohol it's an OK substitute for promoting the adhesive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts