Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which way to turn tie-rods to correct off center steering wheel....

I love my 01 Z06,but the most annoying thing about it is the center wheel is off center to the left about 3-4 degrees when I am driving straight. I've went to the alignment shop twice and they said it was fine. Maybe I am picky, but I want my steering wheel to be PRECISE! I also have a problem with the steering response to be a little soft and vague when turning to the left vs turning to the right. When I turn the wheel to the right,it feels stiffer and turning response is accurate. Feels like when I turn the steering wheel to the left, it feels a little spongier. What gives?? Like I said,I've been to the alignment shop twice and they can't see anything wrong,but to me,it's tiring and annoying when driving.

Ok,I've read the how-to here about adjusting the tie-rods equally on both sides to recenter steering wheel. If my steering wheel is about 3-4 degrees to the left when driving straight,which way should I turn the tie rods when I am laying down on the ground underneath the car facing up with the feet towards the back of the car?

Thanks for any help,guys!!

·
Registered
891 Posts
I can't remember which direction to go and usually go the wrong way the first time. Mark the ends with a paint dot before you start. It's a trial & error thing for me. I use strings on jack stands to check toe settings. Its tedious, but accurate enough. At 150 you can let go of the wheel.

It almost sounds like your alignment is "well within specs", but off just a little bit. Toe settings affect "turn in" feel.

I don't understand why alignment shop can't center the wheel. This is a real common occurrence after changing alignment.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the same problem on my ZO6 Z16 after lowering & then getting it aligned. The first tme they left the wheel off center to the left while the car drove straight....very very annoying. I went back to the same shop & this time they let me center the steering wheel myself & then they made their final adjustments.....this worked perfectly, just like the day I drove it off the lot!

Lusky

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Just a note. If your rear wheel alignment is off, it will put your steering wheel off center. When I had my clutch replaced (under warranty), one of their projectors broke, so they were not able to align ther rear end, and my steering wheel was off a few degrees (drives me crazy when it's not centered). Had the rear end aligned,cured the problem. :yeadog:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
If your steering wheel is turned left when going straight, then when the wheel is straight the car will turn right. Thus you need to move both wheels to the left, or shorten the RF tie rod and lengthen the LF tie rod.

If looking at the tie rod from the front, after you break lose the tie rod lock nut, put a 13 mm on the RF tie rod and move it up one "flat" - this will screw it into the tie rod end shortening it. Then do the same thing to the LF, also moving it up one "flat" - this will screw it out of the tie rod lengthening it.

Drive the car and see how it looks. You may need a two flat adjustment vice a one flat.

Theorhetically, this will adjust the steering relative to the natural centering of the wheels due to caster without changing total front toe. However, I have toe plates and always check toe after doing this adjustment to make sure I still have the aggregate total toe that I want. :cheers:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone and Subdriver. I am going to try to fix this tomorrow with either one or two flat turns. I'll let you know how it works out. :thumb:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Subdriver said:
No problem, let us know how it worked out. :cheers:

I did this yesterday and turned 2 flats. Went for a drive and now,the steering wheel is pointed slightly to the right now,so I turned just a tad too far. I am gonna back out 1/2 flat or so tomorrow. Thanks again!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
OutlawDon said:
I did this yesterday and turned 2 flats. Went for a drive and now,the steering wheel is pointed slightly to the right now,so I turned just a tad too far. I am gonna back out 1/2 flat or so tomorrow. Thanks again!
Sorry... I was thinking just about one. At least you know you went the right way. :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts