Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my Cobra and I'm on the hunt for a Z. I've come across these three cars and would like some experienced opinions on which is the best deal.(all the same color and bottom line prices)

01' - 13k miles, bone stock minus the CAGS eliminator, base wheels, $29,500

01' - 24k miles, Ring fix, headers, catback, ram air, air bridge, stat, tint, and Chrome wheels, $31,000

02' - 28k miles, catback, Cags elim, base wheels, $30,000

I'm leaning towards the 01' with decent mods. I would probably end up getting chrome wheels anyways and of course the tint. Let me have your opinions and thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts
Without seeing them I would have to go for the 02. :cheers:

It has 405 vs 385.
HUD
And is newer and no bad rep about burning oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
FYI, The 01 with the ring fix probably had the pistons replaced with 02-04 and 02-04 rings. In any case, I found the 01 blowby problem to be a benefit in getting a new fresh shortblock assembly with new gaskets. I had them put my ported heads and headers on at the same time for free. Free is good.

Stock manifolds and airbrige are the first things to be tossed on any these cars (this equals things out fast), so if you can get the price, I would go 01.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've talked with all the owners and that seems to be the bottom line prices, not advertised. The cars appear to be equal by pictures alone. They are so close in price that the money isn't an issue. Just wondering which is the best deal. Keep the opinions coming. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
I like the 13k miles on the '01,but I probably would have to go with the '02.It's a year newer,405 v 385,might have some warranty left.Do colors come into play?Condition of the tires?Does it have to be one of these three?Bottom line is buy what you like.If your satisfied that's all that matters. :yeadog:

1. '02
2. '01 w/ 13k miles-it's all stock
3. '01
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,311 Posts
make sure none have been through any damage. Tires make a diff because they are not cheap.
I would say modded 01, 02, 13K 01
Assuming all else I mentioned was equal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
JLC629 said:
Do colors come into play?Condition of the tires?Does it have to be one of these three?
Color is the same on all three. Both 01's have newer tires, the 02' didn't mention tires. These are just three that I've found that I like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,375 Posts
Darkside said:
I sold my Cobra and I'm on the hunt for a Z. I've come across these three cars and would like some experienced opinions on which is the best deal.(all the same color and bottom line prices)

01' - 13k miles, bone stock minus the CAGS eliminator, base wheels, $29,500

01' - 24k miles, Ring fix, headers, catback, ram air, air bridge, stat, tint, and Chrome wheels, $31,000

02' - 28k miles, catback, Cags elim, base wheels, $30,000

I'm leaning towards the 01' with decent mods. I would probably end up getting chrome wheels anyways and of course the tint. Let me have your opinions and thanks.
I would find out the condition of the Chrome wheels before you buy. The interior barrels of my Chrome's didn't hold up to long. Lot's of pitting, etc. You may be able to get him down some if the wheels are questionable. Other than that the 01' may be the ticket.

D.J.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
968 Posts
Low Miles and condition is what markets used sports cars! Dont buy until you have looked at every car. Or send someone you trust to look at the cars you like. :yeadog: MILES /CONDITION!!!! :yeadog:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
878 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,744 Posts
Here are some/most of the differences

differences between 2001 & 2002 & up:
1. The LS6 engine standard in the Z06 increased from 385 to 405 horsepower. Torque increased from 385 to 400 lb-ft.
2. Front fender badges for Z06 models included the 405 HP designation.
3. LS6 exhaust back pressure was reduced by 16%
4. Cam shaft was redesigned resulting in increased lift and a 5% increase in air flow
5. Valve spring material composition was changed to increase seat load by 14%.
6. LS6 intake and exhaust valves were a new, lighter design.
7. The valvetrain weight was reduced by 0.81 pounds, which improved valve seating at high rpm.
8.Airflow over the LS6 MAF sensor was increased by removing gridwork
9. MAF software was recalibrated
10. LS6 aircleaner housing had a larger intake
11. Wheels looked the same BUT they were cast spun instead of forged for a weight savings of 1.3 pounds per car
12. rear shock valving was changed
13. Improved clutch
14. Ticker front anti-sway bar
15. New front brake pads
16. HUD was standard
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,375 Posts
IT L GO said:
Here are some/most of the differences

differences between 2001 & 2002 & up:
1. The LS6 engine standard in the Z06 increased from 385 to 405 horsepower. Torque increased from 385 to 400 lb-ft.
2. Front fender badges for Z06 models included the 405 HP designation.
3. LS6 exhaust back pressure was reduced by 16%
4. Cam shaft was redesigned resulting in increased lift and a 5% increase in air flow
5. Valve spring material composition was changed to increase seat load by 14%.
6. LS6 intake and exhaust valves were a new, lighter design.
7. The valvetrain weight was reduced by 0.81 pounds, which improved valve seating at high rpm.
8.Airflow over the LS6 MAF sensor was increased by removing gridwork
9. MAF software was recalibrated
10. LS6 aircleaner housing had a larger intake
11. Wheels looked the same BUT they were cast spun instead of forged for a weight savings of 1.3 pounds per car
12. rear shock valving was changed
13. Improved clutch
14. Ticker front anti-sway bar
15. New front brake pads
16. HUD was standard
Thanks, I didn't realize there was that much difference between the 01 and beyond.

D.J.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
If you are spending 30K get an 02 Z06 with lower miles. This is a bad time of year to buy a hotrod. This winter you can have a better variety and price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Without a doubt the '02 as per IT L GO above!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
IT L GO said:
Here are some/most of the differences

differences between 2001 & 2002 & up:
1. The LS6 engine standard in the Z06 increased from 385 to 405 horsepower. Torque increased from 385 to 400 lb-ft.

Changed headers and airfilter.

2. Front fender badges for Z06 models included the 405 HP designation.

Don't care. Is their a badge that says 850 h.p.?

3. LS6 exhaust back pressure was reduced by 16%

Again, headers and new cats.

4. Cam shaft was redesigned resulting in increased lift and a 5% increase in air flow

New cam

5. Valve spring material composition was changed to increase seat load by 14%.

Double Ferrea springs.

6. LS6 intake and exhaust valves were a new, lighter design.

Ferrea Valves 2.10/1.60

7. The valvetrain weight was reduced by 0.81 pounds, which improved valve seating at high rpm.

Roller Rockers. Vinci, Comp, Jesel.

8.Airflow over the LS6 MAF sensor was increased by removing gridwork

The 01 Maf with the screen is actually better imo. You can always take it out.

9. MAF software was recalibrated

Custume Tune

10. LS6 aircleaner housing had a larger intake

Again who has the factory intake on there car?

11. Wheels looked the same BUT they were cast spun instead of forged for a weight savings of 1.3 pounds per car

For 1.3 pounds total, I will take forged Alcoas over cast Speedlines anyday.

12. rear shock valving was changed

I have coil overs and T-1 Bars. The 02's are little better than 01. The 04's are good. I would buy a set of used T-1's from Pheonix(Maybe 5,000 miles max). Again, many go to some other shock such as Bilistein.

13. Improved clutch

Yes, a little. 90% are replced by 35k miles. Everyone goes to an aftermarket clutch setup. Nothing can touch my Carbon Carbon Cryoed Setup.

14. Ticker front anti-sway bar

They are the same.

15. New front brake pads

Yes, the pads are good. PFC's or KVP's Ceramic backed much better. You're going to replace these anyway, it's used car.

16. HUD was standard
I actually wish I had this, just for kicks. $80 Raptor shift light works better.

For the $3k you might save on 01 vs. an 02, spend it on a good set of headers, cats, Haltech intake, Custom tune, Raptor shift light and 04 or T1 shocks. 450 hp or 390 rwhp. without heads or cam. Nough said.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Grim Reaper said:
I actually wish I had this, just for kicks. $80 Raptor shift light works better.

For the $3k you might save on 01 vs. an 02, spend it on a good set of headers, cats, Haltech intake, Custom tune, Raptor shift light and 04 or T1 shocks. 450 hp or 390 rwhp. without heads or cam. Nough said.
Thats why I'm leaning towards the modded 01'. It has a great base of mods already in place. I know I'll spend 2-3k on the other cars in mods. The modded 01' only needs a cam and tune to make me happy. :thumb:
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top