Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm at a decision point I need to make. Should I keep my '02 Z06 and Twin Turbo it, or buy an '06 Z06? Having a TT Z06 is my dream, however the new Z06 is straight up badass in my opinion!! For the layout of $$ for an '06, I could turbo my '02, add Brembos, build rear end, etc. However, having 500 hp in a factory warrantied package is extremely enticing. Tell me your opinion!! Which would be the better performance car?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Yea, I wish I had that decision to make, which if I had the money I would think about that too. Mine would be a single turbo, you always get more power and less weight out a single, if Im going to have a beast might as well make a total beast, anyways back to the subject! You know having that turbo z06 would be a sleeper and alot of potential and so sweet sounding, but then you got the unriability and down time is no fun time! It really depends of really how much money the new Z06 will cost, but since we dont know that for sure yet lets say its $75k. By the time you get the turbos and motor to put up with it, I dont know how extreme you would go so I couldn't tell if you need drive train upgraded too, but if I was going turbo I would go full boost so it would have to be upgraded, so Its alot of money and if you want a toy to play and race might as well keep that one since you already lost on you drove it out the dealer, appreciation ect. But if you want a reliable package to pamper and baby and drive out on a nice night with your lovely significant other, then the new Z06 would be the key!

Remember also that the same car with the same weight , the factory will outrun and outhandle the modigied because the factory got the package right as far as hooking with the tires and handling the power with the suspension(only if you can engineer it that much better) as well as boost to N/A, as much as I love Turbos ,especially the sound, a 400hp/3100lbs N/A car will be faster then a 400hp/3100lbs turbo car, the power curve of N/A just works better, but I got a tell you, Turbos make everything quieter and sweeter, to tell you I would be in the same predictiment (sorry for the spelling) :thumb:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Dreams change, I think a Lingenfelter 427TT C5 is a fantastic car, but I would rather have the new C6 Z06 and save a lot of money to boot. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
ChaseN said:
Hey guys, I'm at a decision point I need to make. Should I keep my '02 Z06 and Twin Turbo it, or buy an '06 Z06? Having a TT Z06 is my dream, however the new Z06 is straight up badass in my opinion!! For the layout of $$ for an '06, I could turbo my '02, add Brembos, build rear end, etc. However, having 500 hp in a factory warrantied package is extremely enticing. Tell me your opinion!! Which would be the better performance car?

You need to talk to Wa2Fast... He has a Stage II TT, SackRatt has a 427TT, and I am having a N/A 427 put in as we speak. I didn't want the car to be quiet or stealth so I went the N/A route but all of these are extremely fast.

Chris

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
If you're like me, as soon as you got a '06 Z, you'd have to start modding it.( Of course, I can't afford to do that) It's a better starting point than any C5, if you can stand the looks. 500 hp should be enough, but once you start the mods, it's hard to stop. Long run: cheaper to TT(or go NA 427-my personal fantasy) than get the new style and end up modding it anyway. Anyway you go, the car's a winner.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The top of the line 427 TT costs 50G's plus the cost of a Z06. Once you factor in all the extras like wheels, tires, clutch, You beef up the tranny, rear axle and brakes thats another 20G's. You have invested 110 to 130G's. Plus it looks like any other of the 20,000 plus Z06's on the road. :z:

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Reduce the CR on the LS7 with a head change and TT it.
Balls to the wall. :yeadog: :D :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
exSSer said:
If you're like me, as soon as you got a '06 Z, you'd have to start modding it.
Yeah, I've already thought about how I could modify a '06 Z06 if I decided to go that route. I've even thought about how I would modify a Ferrari 360 if I bought one (a wee bit too far away for me though.) So, I'm thinking I'm gonna go with my '02 and turbo it. I won't be doing a 427 either. I'll probably get a forged low compression 346 short block and crank the boost.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I think it's cheaper to get the C6 Z06, lower the CR and slap on a TT or KB roots-type blower.

Good luck,
Alex

·
Registered
267 Posts
Buy the 06, keep it till the warranty runs out. Then you have time to mod it TT/SC/N2O and enjoy for another several years and still retain value of current model (C6). If you do that with the 02, in 4-5 years you will have a car that is worth very little.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Gordy M said:
Buy the 06, keep it till the warranty runs out. Then you have time to mod it TT/SC/N2O and enjoy for another several years and still retain value of current model (C6). If you do that with the 02, in 4-5 years you will have a car that is worth very little.
He has a good point.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Throw a cam/headers in your existing Z06 for anywhere from 465hp to 505 hp for 3500 dollars installed give or take a few bucks...

Then sit back and enjoy your modified 02 for a few years till the demand for the 500hp takes a breather and you can get some decent discounts.

The 3500 it cost you to get an almost identical power to weight ratio will give you one hell of a ride while your watching the C6 Z06 come down to earth in pricing...

then buy the C6 Z06 and enjoy the performance and execution that comes from a factory 500 hp car...

Who knows maybe GM will up the hp in the C6 Z06 in the second or third year as well..

Nothing like the product development that GM instills in its vehicles for worry free ownership...

JMO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts