Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do Vettes come from BG with that white sheet covering on the
hood, roof, etc?
I just noticed on mine that close to the edges I have what appears to be some kind of glue residue (clear colored). It comes off after rubbing with your finger or towell.
Any suggestions as to what kind of solvent will take it off quicker?
WD-40 (?), or any others?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have been trying to get that stuff off for the last week. It comes off of the paint fairly easily but it is tricker to get out from underneath the black trim...like on the doors below the window. I lightly scratched the clear coat trying to rub it off with my fingernail.

I used WD-40 and the clay bar per Sal Zaino.

- Charley

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
That stuff was a major PITA. The dealership that preped my car left that stuff all over the car. I had plastic under the rubber seals on the doors and I had a line that went all the way around the roof. I tried just about everything I had around the shop. I used Naptha (lighter fluid) which is the major component in 3M adhesive remover. This was quite slow going. I had more luck using my finger nail and then going back over it with solvent.

After several hours I had most of the roof done, and I was quite annoyed. Then I pulled up the seals and saw how much crud I still had left to go.

At this point I said to heck with this and broke out some lacquer thinner (I know many of you will cringe in horror when you read this and probably consider me a knuckle dragging neanderthal from now on). Anyhow, with the lacquer thinner the gunk wiped right off on the first pass. I finished up both doors after 1 or 2 quick passes wiping back and forth. I didn't have lacquer thinner dripping off the rag. I just had dampened a terry cloth finishing rag pried up one corner of the seal with a small plastic paint brush and wiped it back and forth twice. At that point I went back and wiped off any residue with a clean cloth and went over to the other door and repeated the process. I made sure all the rest of the glue was off the car, and then I used Finessed-It on the car, and then I waxed it.

Am I recommending lacquer thinner to the world at large. No, but I have worked with the stuff for years in body shops, so I felt comfortable with what I was doing. In short, you will either need to spend a lot of time working on the stuff with clay, WD-40, wax, adhesive remover, or whatever works for you. Or you will need to use a more agressive solvent. Use your best judgement on what you fell comfortable with, go slowly, and test an out of the way area to make sure you aren't going to be unhappy with the results.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
One more thing on the clay. When I first got my Z, I washed it with Dawn and clayed it to get all contamination (dealer wax) off of the paint. I really had to work to get a lot of that adhesive off the paint from around the black stripping edges of the car (like on the room). To my horror, I managed to put a bunch of scratches and swirls on the car. I believe that it was due to the clay usage. I must have been pushing too hard and not rotating the clay enough. Since, I have put at least 5 coats of Zaino Swirl remover on the paint and it does look much better. My guess is that I am going to have to use some 3M fine cut swirl remover to get rid of the remaining scratches.

So be careful with the clay. I think it is good stuff but if used improperly (as I did), it can damage your paint.

- Charley

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was that WD-40 AND clay?

Was the clay supposed to be used with the WD-40?
And thanks for all the help guys, I am glad it wasn't a problem with just MY Z, although I'm sorry to hear so many have suffered!
THANKS!:) :cheers:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Charley as you said the clay itself will not scratch your car because clay is not abrasive, but the glue loads up the clay and rubbing hard can and will leave scratch marks.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
fyrcaptain,

No, the clay and the WD-40 were not to be used together (ie. spray wd-40 and rub it with the clay). I applied the WD-40 to a cotton towel and gently rubbed the paint with it. It was mainly used to remove tar, bugs, etc.. With the clay, there is usually a special slippery liquid to spray first, then rub with the clay. The liquid helps the clay glide over the paint. With the Zaino clay, you can use some of the car wash concentrate mixed with water as the liquid. And again, as Carl said, make sure that you don't let the clay get too gunked up with the dirt/glue/etc. from the paint. Rotate/massage it frequently.

- Charley

1 - 10 of 10 Posts